What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 246 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

December 8th, 2019, 01:06
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
Absolutely DON'T stream this one.
Watch on the big screen in the dark, as God (=In Martin We Trust) intended.
Seconding this. Watch The Irishman in the theaters, if you can. So much immersion gets lost when streaming the movie from your living room.

Beholder

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 8th, 2019, 21:10
Heathers - a movie all about heathers. I kind of like this stuff - you know - knowing about heathers….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

December 8th, 2019, 22:28
Originally Posted by you View Post
Heathers - a movie all about heathers. I kind of like this stuff - you know - knowing about heathers….
Martha Dumptruck in the flesh. Here comes the Cootie Squad.

Beholder

Watcher

December 9th, 2019, 14:51
Could be fun. Sadly, it's about mmo again - seems no filmmaker dares to go with a singleplayer world.

loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

December 9th, 2019, 22:25
John wick 3. The first two instalments grew on me so that I was looking forward to this one. It did not dissapoint, if nothing else it is a great action movie. I assumed this was the last one in a trilogy but the ending clearly suggests it is not. Was wondering whether John wick was from a comic book but I shouldn't have. Everything that comes out of the US is based on a comic book :-)

Speaking of Keanu, I loved Constantine. Watched it a long time ago, late at night after some beers and had a really good time with it. I mostly remember the constant smoking of the main guy (each time he comes out of a room or a building he lights up a cigarette). Seems he is thinking about Constantine 2
https://movieweb.com/constantine-2-keanu-reeves/

Apart from that, I watched the lion king remastered. I'm not sure why as I know exactly how it goes and ends :-) Next up could be one of Aladdin, Hobbs & Shawn, or IT chapter 2.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 00:16
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Everything that comes out of the US is based on a comic book :-).
Yeah every billion dollar movie lately has been either based on a comic or cartoon.

Disney alone made over $10B on just their movies this year already.

Link - https://deadline.com/2019/12/disney-…rd-1202803824/

Back on topic I also enjoyed the John wick films that are based on graphic novels.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
+1:

December 10th, 2019, 01:22
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Disney alone made over $10B on just their movies this year already.
Amazing. You buy one comic studio and have enough movie material to last two decades, knowing the fanboys and fangirls will throw their money at you.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 01:48
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post
Amazing. You buy one comic studio and have enough movie material to last two decades, knowing the fanboys and fangirls will throw their money at you.
When they bought FOX I predicted this. They are a monopoly powerhouse now. By that I mean they own the best franchises to milk money. Other studious must envy them.

Bottom line I may not like what they did to a few IP's but Robert Iger deserves credit.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

December 10th, 2019, 02:16
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
They are a monopoly powerhouse now.
Never too early to boycott Disney.

Robert Iger deserves credit.
The man is set FOR LIFE. He actually produced a Masterclass on business. I'm curious to know if anyone learned anything from that class.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 09:29
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Could be fun. Sadly, it's about mmo again - seems no filmmaker dares to go with a singleplayer world.

loading…
This feels like a mix of Wreck-It Ralph, Lego Movie, and Ready Player One. I do hope it's good though.

firetiger

Watcher

December 12th, 2019, 11:35
Seems another Matrix movie is getting released.

Link - https://collider.com/matrix-4-release-date/
The Matrix 4 is getting even closer to (un)reality. After a slew of casting announcements this past week, Warner Bros. has scheduled the yet-untitled Matrix sequel for a May 21, 2021 release. Because the Matrix has never been a franchise to shy away from mind-bending paradoxes, that places it in direct competition with John Wick: Chapter 4, which means Keanu Reeves will be battling himself for box office supremacy that weekend.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

December 14th, 2019, 09:49
It's probably been talked about to death and I didn't read the thread but my mom and I watched The Irishman when it released. We both loved it. Buffalino lived close to where I grew up and my step dad had some ties to him. Loved all of Pescis/Deniros/Pacinos parts and it was just a great film. People complained it was too long but it flew by for us, we were into it.a

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 11:51
Saw knives out. Was kind of boring and not quite as clever as it intended to be but otherwise good i guess.
Last edited by you; December 18th, 2019 at 21:03.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 15:00
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Buffalino lived close to where I grew up and my step dad had some ties to him. Loved all of Pescis/Deniros/Pacinos parts and it was just a great film.
Were the Pennsylvania accents and mannerisms from the time portrayed accurately?

Beholder

Watcher

December 18th, 2019, 14:15
The Machinist. Strange movie about someone who suffers insomnia and starts hallucinating, from what I could tell. The reason he couldn't sleep seemed to be explained towards the end. Not bad but I was expecting better. 7/10

ginger

Traveler

December 18th, 2019, 17:25
Ad Astra

Really didn't enjoy this, mainly because of the glaring stupid physics issues. And am I correct that in one of the first scenes the main character is actually climbing down a ladder? In space?!
Maybe I missed something but it really wasn't the film I was hoping for.

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 18th, 2019, 17:33
Freshly back from the cinema:

Knives Out (2019)

A classic Whodunnit from the director of that last very controversial Star Wars movie with a classic all-star cast including but not comprehensively, Daniel Craig (James Bond), Chris Evans (Captain America), Jamie Lee Curtis (Hollywood grande dame).

And it's thoroughly enjoyable. A delight to behold. Wry humour throughout that you'd have to be a lump of solid rock not to find at least mildly amusing, just the right combination of lampooning camp and serious edge and a plot that will keep you guessing for at least half of it with plenty of expectations being properly subverted (including Craig's dodgy southern American drawl accent).

Ok, it's not fight Fight Club or Seven clever, but it's just about there via being just a nice damn movie in the classic but modern style. One of those movies people complain we don't get anymore and one that should therefore be extra encouraged IMO.

4/5.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

December 19th, 2019, 02:39
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is getting trashed by professional paid reviewers.

Link - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta…e_of_skywalker

It's not just the so called toxic fans anymore.

Anyway it will still probably make over $1Bn due to the world market.
--

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

December 19th, 2019, 02:49
Reminder that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the highest grossing film in the US in 2009.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 19th, 2019, 23:17
As an interesting aside to @Couchpotato 's lamenting of the amount of money a potentially poor film can garner, this year has actually been quite a significant one for the nature of finances and the American box office.

While this year saw the record-breaking huge $$$$ result for Avengers Endgame, this stat, among a few others, including the new Star Wars, is hiding the bare truth of the cinema today and that is that the $$$$ are falling really quite dramatically all-round.

Up until these last two weeks of December, 2019 has seen the least 'grossing' year for movies since 2014. And this will still be the case even if Star Wars makes $400m in its first two weeks in America, which it could well do.

However, in 2014, Walt Disney pictures accounted for just $1.5b of the grand total for the entire year counted across many, many film.

In 2019 Walt Disney films will account for over 30% of the grand total for the whole year at well over $3b across much fewer films.

So we see a sharp decline in ticket sales across the board while simultaneously seeing one specific company and it's brand of sequels and universes suck up a much, much bigger chunk of the declined customer base.

In 2019 seven out of the top eight grossing films of the year in the US will be Walt Disney. And the issue of depth is also at a long-time low this year with only 26 total movies looking like they'll break the $100m dollar barrier, and you'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a year with only 26 $100m+ grossing movies. If it makes it to 27 with Jumanji or something then you'd be going back to 2015.

Further to this, if one excludes sequels, remakes and 'universe' movies and just looks at 'new' movies, the barometer of creative freshness, then the top 10 would look like this (actual ranking in brackets):

1. Us (11)
2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (15)
3. Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (16)
4. The Upside (23)
5. Hustlers (25)
6. Ford vs Ferrari (26)
7. Rocketman (29)
8. Alita: Battle Angel (30)
9. Good Boys (31)
10. Knives Out (33)

All of which gross in the 90 to 175 million bracket. So are we looking at Disney as the saviours of a dying trade? Or are we looking at Disney as the destroyers of a once comfortable trade?

I think both points of view have their merits, but I'm also thinking that they are not both mutually exclusive situations.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread