The TV Series discussion thread - Page 243 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

December 9th, 2019, 16:54
If imdb scored only fun factor, all horrors would skyrocket with at least +3 to their current scores.

As it happens, not everything is supposed to be enjoyable yet scores high, here's one example:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070649/
It's highly disturbing both physical and psychological horror that imdb marks only as - drama? LOL
In it's core it has a concept of a greek tragedy to slap your face over and over. Not enjoyable, it drops you out of your safe zone then harasses you till the end which is far from happy.
If I didn't write before, somewhere I did, while Silenced does not have a happy ending in the movie, it caused a public outry and it's realworld counterpart did end in the most positive way possible at that point.

Chernobyl? It caused nothing of a sort. It was hyped for dunno what and in the end I didn't see anyone in the real world changed their opinion. I mean what, if someone nukes your neighborhood, thanks to the show's science, you can't get irradiated because you live thousands of miles away. So who cares when politicians are rattling nukes, right? It's firecrackers.
On the other hand, if someone does get irradiated, you shouldn't shake hands with them. If you do, you'll die. During next 24 hours if not sooner. Seriously?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

December 9th, 2019, 17:08
why would horror be more "fun" than anything else? most horror is terrible, out of 10 horror movies i watch a year maybe one is great, one is "ok", the rest is trash in the 3-5/10 range.

the genre description on IMDB has never been great.. there should be a way for users to suggest what something is, when there are enough scores for the genre they can put it in without verifying the movie manually.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

December 9th, 2019, 19:28
I did view a second episode of the Boys last night, and it was just as good as the first was. I'll continue to watch this show, as the suck factor seems almost non-existent in it. I also will likely check out at least the second episode of the Rook.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

December 9th, 2019, 19:36
Started with the new season of ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ … it felt a bit slower than previous seasons, but still fun and funny. There was a ‘setting the table’ feel to it, so will be interesting to see if it delivers.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 00:09

Seems there's 3 more episodes of Mr. Robot, for the current and final season. And then I can jump into it and binge it. I'm really excited. Loved this series. Very underrated, and I'm constantly shocked how few people know of it or watch it. Highly recommended.

And we're also getting The Witcher tv-series on december 20th. So it's gonna be a great holiday as far as tv series are concerned.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

December 10th, 2019, 01:23
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
And then I can jump into it and binge it. I'm really excited.
You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. This season. My word…

Beholder

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 01:25
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What do you mean how. Check the score on imdb:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/
95/100. Aka per imdb users it's the show with laserprecision historical accuracy and especially scientific accuracy - with only a couple of scenes that aren't good that Held it slightly below 10/10.

And then you either watch the show and start not believing it's bloated score or dig the internet only to learn that the show creators underestimated the audience. The audience that is silent and doesn't score stuff on imdb.

Here's one example:
https://www.cracked.com/blog/5-rando…fying-secrets/

It's just one example.
I wouldn't consider cracked.com a credible source for discussions on TV shows lol

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 01:27
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
It was a good show, but i'm not sure i agree with all the 10/10, "best show ever" etc. I'd probably rate it 8/10, which still means i really liked it.
Chernobyl was the best miniseries of the year. Hands down. Was it the best piece of television content in the last decade? No, but it's up there. Obviously it doesn't touch other great shows, i.e. The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 01:32
nah, not up there with Kingdom or The Boys, imo. It was good but it was also just the story about Chernobyl, it did not bring anything new that most people did not know (i hope).
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

December 10th, 2019, 02:18
nah, not up there with Kingdom or The Boys, imo. It was good but it was also just the story about Chernobyl, it did not bring anything new that most people did not know (i hope).
The show did a great job visualizing and explaining what happened at the plant.

Many people only know Chernobyl as the place where the nuclear meltdown
happened. But that's as far as their knowledge goes. The show goes into detailed
about how incompetence, bureaucracy and pride led to the plant's devastating destruction. I knew about Chernobyl, obviously, but the show gave me additional details, and I walked away learning many new things.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 04:44
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post

Seems there's 3 more episodes of Mr. Robot, for the current and final season. And then I can jump into it and binge it. I'm really excited. Loved this series. Very underrated, and I'm constantly shocked how few people know of it or watch it. Highly recommended.
This will be an interesting one for you to binge.

I was pretty excited to hear Malek is the new Bond villain.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 05:40
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I was pretty excited to hear Malek is the new Bond villain.
Rami Malek is one of the best new actors out there.

Beholder

Watcher

December 10th, 2019, 12:41
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post
You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. This season. My word…
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
This will be an interesting one for you to binge.
Yeah, I keep hearing only good things about season 4 and that it involves all sorts of mind-fuckery. Can't wait.

Rami Malek is indeed one of the best actors to recently rise to prominence. Great for him. He deserves it. He's fantastic as Elliot Alderson. Just constantly mesmerizing.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

December 10th, 2019, 17:16
I rather liked the Chernobyl mini-series, yeah I know most of it was fictionalized but the story it told was coherent and enjoyable, unlike most television these days.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

December 10th, 2019, 22:38
Umbre. So it's Sopranos, in Romania. Could be cool? Protagonist has a problem with panic attacks.. sounds familiar?

No, this is rather sloppy i think, despite having good actors.. It's both predictable and unbearably stupid. e.g our silent type / tough main guy goes to a doctor to collect debt (=not a friendly visit). For some reason he decides to have a chat about panic attacks (goes against this character quite a bit) and lets said doctor inject(!) him with a unknown(!) drug(!) straight to the.. NECK! WTF… hard skip.
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

December 11th, 2019, 00:36
I'm playing Dragon's dogma and was reading some interviews on a sequel when I found this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/dragons-dogm…netflix-anime/

A dragon's dogma anime for netflix which is scheduled for 2020. It could be capcom's way to gauge the interest in the franchise, and, if positive, a proper sequel (there was also like a Japan-exclusive MMO).

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

December 11th, 2019, 14:37
Umbre. So it's Sopranos, in Romania. Could be cool? Protagonist has a problem with panic attacks.. sounds familiar?
I seriously doubt that title has anything in common with Sopranos.
The first season was based on australian show Small Time Gangster, but is not a "faithful" remake - because Romania has it's own problems the new show is supposed to be quite different. Also, the aussie show has only one season while Umbre got three seasons (so far).

Ages ago I've added it on my long "to watch" list and it's rotting there because I don't have time for everything. Still am interested to see if the show went boring topics seen in every other tv series or concentrated on geographical specifics (migrations, slave trade and crash of the economy).
Which means, I'm kinda not interested in one panicking protagonist but in everything else. For panic extremism I can always rewatch the screaming professional girl through all of the Spielberg's junkware War of the Worlds.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 21:00
I liked this episode of the Mandalorian better then last two. It was entertaining enough. More "cool" than "good" though. It seemed to have a lot of comedians in it? Bill Burr, and the bug-eyed droid seems to be voiced by Moss from IT Crowd? It sounds like him at least. I also think i recognize the big guy with horns from Dumb and Dumber (the guy who chokes on chili or whatever they gave him)..
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

+1:

December 13th, 2019, 22:34
I tried watching the first episode of Mandalorian the other day, I gave up after twenty minutes or so. My standard for Star Wars fair is pretty simple….it needs to be of Empire quality, or I just do without. Likely that means I won't care for any recent Star Wars releases, and so far that seems pretty accurate, and I'm ok with that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2019, 22:53
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I tried watching the first episode of Mandalorian the other day, I gave up after twenty minutes or so. My standard for Star Wars fair is pretty simple….it needs to be of Empire quality, or I just do without. Likely that means I won't care for any recent Star Wars releases, and so far that seems pretty accurate, and I'm ok with that.
Don't feel bad as I'm the same, I see al these new movies and shows getting released, and all I feel is meh. If I could go back in time I would stop Lucas from selling.

Then again Disney already said they don't care about the old fan-base.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Last edited by Couchpotato; December 13th, 2019 at 23:52.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread