No Man's Sky definetly on PC

Well that was a nice place for the server smash to hit!

So anyway, now I've got 80 hours in this game. Many many folks bought it. Many folks don't like it. (Quite a few extra folks have posted reviews saying they don't like it thanks to a reddit post telling people that they are more likely to get a refund, even way after the normal cutoff date, if they post a negative review.) But obviously I'm enjoying it.

The game definitely has real issues. The design seems completely off whack - like they didn't really know if this game was supposed to take 10 hours or 100. Some aspects of the game get exhausted quickly (e.g. multi-tool blueprints) but, even 80 hours in, I still haven't been able to open all those Atlas Pass doors and I'm a very long way from the center. Maybe that's my own play style?

Keyboard/Mouse support definitely needs some love, too. Some lesser-used commands just flat out don't work. You can't even see all your slots when you're comparing two ships/tools because the game refuses to pan far enough with mouse/keyboard.

Exploration is this game's strong suit. The hype touts this game's survival and combat. Those are certainly part of the game but they aren't buying points, IMHO. More like stuff to do while exploring. Same with trying to find all the animal species on the planet. There's a good bit of crafting to do, too, and some stories to follow. But, IMHO, it's mostly about seeing what's over the next hill or hanging in the next sector - then taking a picture of it.

The big claim to fame, the procedural generation, is OK as far as it goes but could really go a lot further. Like the hand-made method, bigger teams are going to be able to make more detailed code to handle more animal variety without mangling the animations and more geography variety without making giant spaceship traps. Still, it is working fairly well for a small team and nothing is stopping them from adding more as time goes on. Just don't go in expecting miracles.

All the critics I read panned or 'average'-ed it. And a few said Spore and that many space fighter sims like Star Citizen did it better..

So did anyone found his way anywhere near the center of the galaxy? There's a surprise waiting there for you.
A super unique randomly generated planet!

All the critics I read panned or 'average'-ed it. And a few said Spore and that many space fighter sims like Star Citizen did it better..
I can believe average. The game is definitely a mixed bag of fun stuff and broken stuff. Spore? Not really - and I liked both. Star Citizen!?!? The only thing that game has in common with this one is that there are stars and planets in it. Comparing it to this game is like comparing Witcher 3 to Mount & Blade - they are going for very different types of fun.

No Man's Sky is definitely not hard at all. I still haven't died once. It's more about puttering around, mining a bit, crafting a bit, scanning a bit, and taking screenies.

Or vids… here's a couple actually. It's a planet with no animal life at all and great weather which let me run around safely with the HUD off. Second video shows some things that could be taken as minor spoilers. (Oh, and there's currently a bug that lets you move around faster by using the melee attack then jumping - which I use quite a bit in the first video.)

https://youtu.be/7Q-TcmB5oaQ

https://youtu.be/ZFwYx__GEcg

Dunno if my post is still around, but I decided not to buy the game when I learned it uses checkpoints in openworld/opengalaxy. Just can't believe someone actually made such decision during design process.

The game got a biggish patch two days ago and it won't be the last one:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/275850/announcements/detail/803152771522850913

I'll probably buy the game sometime in the future, but with no saving anywhere in openworld, I don't want to pay the full price nor I expect much.

The "chekpointness" isn't very noticeable on most planets. It saves every time you exit your ship plus it saves every time you touch the discovery pole for a new location and those are typically only a few minutes apart. Having just the two save files is more of a bother to me.

Still, I would advise waiting anyway just to give Hello time to fix up the PC version some more and, hopefully, add even more variety into their critter creator. (And maybe put in the NVIDIA Ansel system!)

P.S. That new patch has done something to connectivity - at least for me. The game used to lose connectivity every now and again but it would get it back fairly quickly. Now it seems to decide right at the start: if you're in, you're in for good. If not, you're out until you restart the game.

Poor Man's Starbound.

Right, Starbound. Not SC. OK. ED maybe? There definitely are more though. There always are.

Wow, I posted a thumbs-up review of NMS on Steam saying it's for explorer-gamers only. Within a couple of hours, my review had one up vote and a dozen down votes. To compare, my MGS5 review only has gotten a total of 4 votes since I posted it at the end of April.

Looks like there's a bunch of people sitting on the review page and down-voting every positive review that shows up. Sure enough - I just looked at Steam reviews right now and the most recent reviews have almost no helpful ratings then suddenly a dozen, 11, 13, 11, 24, 11, 11, 14... looks like there's 10 people out there against the game and one for it. (Or at least 10 accounts.)

Wow, I posted a thumbs-up review of NMS on Steam saying it's for explorer-gamers only. Within a couple of hours, my review had one up vote and a dozen down votes. To compare, my MGS5 review only has gotten a total of 4 votes since I posted it at the end of April.

Looks like there's a bunch of people sitting on the review page and down-voting every positive review that shows up. Sure enough - I just looked at Steam reviews right now and the most recent reviews have almost no helpful ratings then suddenly a dozen, 11, 13, 11, 24, 11, 11, 14… looks like there's 10 people out there against the game and one for it. (Or at least 10 accounts.)

Lame. :( That reminds me of the guy that wouldn't let go of his hate for Darkest Dungeon. I've paid full price for games that I didn't like. What did I do? I moved the F on.

The proper way is to slap thumb down on Steam reviews first and then move the F on.

Wow, I posted a thumbs-up review of NMS on Steam saying it's for explorer-gamers only.

Maybe those people didn't like the fact you left out the important caveat that the game is for "explorer-gamers only...who don't need gameplay to have fun". :p

Lame. :( That reminds me of the guy that wouldn't let go of his hate for Darkest Dungeon. I've paid full price for games that I didn't like. What did I do? I moved the F on.

Different case. DD was crowdfunded and funded on the promise of what it was supposed to be.

NMS was a classical release that was not subjected to a change of direction. No breach in contract for it.

Different case. DD was crowdfunded and funded on the promise of what it was supposed to be.

NMS was a classical release that was not subjected to a change of direction. No breach in contract for it.

Just couldn't let it go, the statement you made for DD could also be used for shroud funny how that works huh?

How fun?

In the chronology of this forum, DD happened before. At least one person made the statement of a change in direction for DD. This allowed other people to make statements about the legitimacy of the change in direction.

DD changed direction. SotA changed direction. There is an issue for people who declared on this site that the change in direction was legitimate for DD and illegitimate for SotA.

Pointing at DD straying is perceived on this site as a sign of hate. Still waiting for someone to do the same for SotA or calling up an obvious resentment toward Garriott etc

I guess everyone is entitled to their own views of events, correct or not.

AzzerUK said he hopes that his complaint could spark Valve and other companies in control of video game storefronts "to start forcing publishers that use its platforms to show realistic, actual, genuine, non-pre-rendered or scripted gameplay trailers and footage, and screenshots actually taken in-game from real game code that is going to be what the consumer purchases".
Sound good… but might not be so good. That would mean games basically couldn't advertise until just a few weeks before release. How could they know for sure just what the game will look like until at least that point? Maybe a compromise where pre-release shots/vids are labeled as such?

NMS definitely does need updated promotional material, though. The displayed stuff is really old.. from some E3 presentation I think? Easy enough to show the real game now but Hello has turtled up.

It's too late to show promotional material now since the game has already been released and sold. Some say it was sold and marketed with false information, which is what this investigation is going to look into. If Hello gets hit hard by this it could make a big impact on how companies market their games.

Back
Top Bottom