Bevontule - Kickstarter launched

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter campaign for the tactical RPG Bevontule has started:

Bevontule: Altar of Roots

Bevontule is an eclectic fusion of Western, Japanese, and strategy RPGs, with stunning 3D visuals and challenging tactical combat.

Bevontule is a tactical role-playing game that occurs primarily on the surface of the continent of Onich – a vast and isolated landmass surrounding a central ocean known as the Inner Sea. Discovered some 1,500 years ago by a number of refugees fleeing their own war-torn homeland, it quickly becomes clear that – despite its welcoming appearance – Onich harbors dark and deadly secrets that were presumably left alone for good reason.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I played a very early alpha edition of this game and the combat was pretty fun. The game seemed pretty vague and empty outside of combat and it still looks that way a year and change later. However, I'm just going by the screenshots. I'm not sure if there were any non-combat gameplay vids shown.

Seeing the controller controls of the interface already makes me sick.

I mean Bethesda can get away with that, but I don't think I'll play an indie game with an interface like that.

I mean Bethesda can get away with that, but I don't think I'll play an indie game with an interface like that.

Wait what? How does that logic work? If it's decent enough in a bioware game for you then I don't see the problem. If it's horrible, then it doesn't make sense that a Bioware game is ok, but not an indie.

Bioware is crap anyhow. :3

Was talking about bethesda though. ^^

The interface in Bethesda games was always crap. But the games themselves were worth it to just suck it up.

I mean… it supports mouse, keyboard and controllers? And it's not too much of a hassle (at least imo and those of many of our playtesters) to use KB/M for everything. You can also cancel from any UI panel with the right mouse button--it's actually quite speedy. I'd be curious to know how you would improve it as we're always looking for ways to do so! :)

I played a very early alpha edition of this game and the combat was pretty fun. The game seemed pretty vague and empty outside of combat and it still looks that way a year and change later. However, I'm just going by the screenshots. I'm not sure if there were any non-combat gameplay vids shown.

I appreciate that you played our early demo--as I recall, you were one of the very first to try it out and helped us get our foot in the door at RPGCodex, so I have to tip my hat to you. Your thread is still kickin' btw! :)

That being said, I have to ask if you checked out the Kickstarter page? To say that the game is vague and empty besides combat (which is obviously something we put a lot of stock in) is a tad misleading, don't you think, if you just went from the screenshots? ;)

Was talking about bethesda though. ^^

The interface in Bethesda games was always crap. But the games themselves were worth it to just suck it up.

Hehe, oops. Freudian slip I suppose.

I see the devs heeded my advice for BIG FRIGGIN FONTS. At least they are readable now.. :D

It looks like they're their stuff together and a well planned KS campaign. So a good foundation for backing.
For me personally the game itself doesn't sound too interesting as the focus seems to be on combat.

I agree. I give them credit for what they've presented. They've clearly put effort into their world-building, and started out with a clear idea about the sort of gameplay they're trying to create. All the artwork and presentation is solid and professional-looking.

Whether it will result in a good game, who knows, but I wish more Kickstarters were like this.

It's a decent pitch and looks interesting, but I don't think I'll back it because of the fixed protagonist. If it gets released and it's getting decent feedback I might pick it up later.

Last edited:
Backed. Looking forward to this one! March 2019 can't come soon enough.

Sadly, not one Kickstarter I have backed has met its forecasted release date yet!

Here's to a pledge and a hope that this one does!

@MTG_Derek;,

I didn't see any bustling cities, towns with dozens of NPCs, etc. I didn't see many merchant windows, alchemy shops, or really anything that looked like a full-fledged RPG. I looked at every screenshot on the kickstarter page. Your game looks like a combat simulator with a few questgivers; at least at first blush. I definitely won't mind being proven wrong with vids of the party walking and talking in a living breathing world. I did see a scene with perhaps two people outside of the party in one screenshot. I'd strongly suggest you showing such scenes in fact.

Maybe your fist update could be about non-combat/town activities. That would help folks to see what else you have to offer outside of skills, stats, and combat.

My opinion is just mine though and there are a bunch of people who live for long drawn out combats one right after the other. I just outgrew that in the 90's :D

Backed, even though I'n not a fan of fixed parties. Still 12$ isn't much too much to ask, and its party based, turn based and has nice visuals. Also the combat system looks pretty decent.

The combat look is what pulled me in, I get a Krondor-ish vibe from it, and that is a very good thing. A great combat system can keep me interested in many games, even when some other aspects might let me down.

@MTG_Derek;,

I didn't see any bustling cities, towns with dozens of NPCs, etc. I didn't see many merchant windows, alchemy shops, or really anything that looked like a full-fledged RPG. I looked at every screenshot on the kickstarter page. Your game looks like a combat simulator with a few questgivers; at least at first blush. I definitely won't mind being proven wrong with vids of the party walking and talking in a living breathing world. I did see a scene with perhaps two people outside of the party in one screenshot. I'd strongly suggest you showing such scenes in fact.

Maybe your fist update could be about non-combat/town activities. That would help folks to see what else you have to offer outside of skills, stats, and combat.

My opinion is just mine though and there are a bunch of people who live for long drawn out combats one right after the other. I just outgrew that in the 90's :D

That's a good point, and I hope there is some more of those aspects in the finished game.

That said, if I were setting out to make an indie RPG, I'd start in the same way - put some effort into the worldbuilding, and focus on the combat mechanics. I think that if you get those right, it becomes much easier to start slotting the rest of the content into place.

Backed as well. Although from the looks of it they're gonna have a rough time making the goal. They're almost at $10k out of $50k. It'll be a rough road to the end, but maybe they can pull it off a la Copper Dreams, just barely squeaking by.

Hopefully their updates get people excited throughout the campaign.

Back
Top Bottom