EA - Cancels Origins Free Game Program

Don’t draw too much comfort from it, no matter what your viewpoint on any subject is you will find people who agree.;)

And thats why democracy is the worst form of government, but still the best. :)

I don't get this "hogging resources" criticism as well. Windows is pretty good at managing inactive programs. I have both origin and uplay on my system and they are both well behaved. I never had any performance issue in a game that was down to origin or uplay for that matter.

The problem is that a large portion of the programs you install (not just game clients, but just about everything) wants to run in the background and sit in your system tray. Most of them aren't optimized, but who knows ahead of time what is and what isn't? Before you know it you have a dozen processes running, and eventually it effects system performance.

It annoys the fuck out of me and these days I'm pretty selective about what I install. I don't need 5 or 6 game clients running on my computer, all just because every company wants to have their own Steam-like client. Fuck 'em, I already have a huge backlog of games to play.

Well, I don't let any of these platforms start with Windows. I just start the appropriate client for the game I want to play, and I shut it down if I launch another game.

To me, that's completely trivial.

The problem is that a large portion of the programs you install (not just game clients, but just about everything) wants to run in the background and sit in your system tray. Most of them aren't optimized, but who knows ahead of time what is and what isn't? Before you know it you have a dozen processes running, and eventually it effects system performance.

It annoys the fuck out of me and these days I'm pretty selective about what I install. I don't need 5 or 6 game clients running on my computer, all just because every company wants to have their own Steam-like client. Fuck 'em, I already have a huge backlog of games to play.

I hear what you are saying and multiple clients annoy me as well. But remember that steam is not out there to look after your interests. They will screw you. The question is not "if" but "when" they will screw you.

Totally agree with the Steam comments, at some point it will simply evolve to a point where it's all too good to be true. Great old games, on the other hand, I have quite a bit more faith in.

Origin is spying on your PC. But… What's the fuss about?

Reasons to even install it are Dragon Age 3, ME3/4 or Sims 4. You installed Origin, completed whichever game from above? Just uninstall it.

On The House was nice while it lasted. But shall any of us miss it? I don't think so.

A step in the wrong direction, if they want Origins to compete with Steam. What brought everyone into Steam was the steep discounts that they have slowly phased out since they've dominated the market. It allowed you to "own" (ahem) video games both legally and cheaply, with a one stop library to boot. That latter is largely why they've maintained such a large market share.

EA, in it's wisdom, is constricting it's coils tighter instead of attempting to attract new customers.

But that's the EA we know.

Back
Top Bottom