Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thanks again @azarhal;.

I really wish the dungeons had a way to tell if you're going deeper down or higher up. The Sycamore Tree is kind of a tough one to navigate because I can't tell which doors are leading back up and which go down further into the dungeon.

Uh oh. Is there any way to edit the characters with a character editor or something? I accidentally gave 2 of my characters the same spell, not being Cure Moderate Wounds which I really wanted/needed. Any tips here or am I just screwed?

Which classes are the characters?

Cleric only memorize their spells (don't need to learn) and those can be changed in their spellbook before resting (default key is B). Also, good and neutral Cleric following a good deity can cast healing spell by converting any spells they memorized at the same level (there are icons on top of the quickbar at the bottom, click the left most one, select the spell level and click the little top arrow on the spell to convert).

Saying that I think the game make it so all Cleric can do it (instead of evil ones converting to inflict spells), because Harrim's is not good nor his is deity and he as it. Also, Cleric Channel Divinity has a AOE heal (or AOE damage undead, there is 2 choice when you click on that ability) "if good". Again, I think both Cleric companions are considering good for these mechanics…I almost want to try a evil Cleric to see if that's supported properly.

If neither of the characters are cleric, well yeah you are screwed to use scrolls and potions until you level up again probably.

Product is lavishly streamed, quite a lot of streamers to choose from.

If neither of the characters are cleric, well yeah you are screwed to use scrolls and potions until you level up again probably.

2 Bards, my main Archaeologist and Linzi. I gave them both Heroism by mistake, but eh. I'll give Linzi Cure Moderate Wounds next level. Ah well. At least I can dual Heroism. :p

Tips and tricks time.

Formations are very important, use them. Try to find tactical advantage areas, like a doorway or some chokepoint where you're protected.

Reduce Person is great for your tank. I have Valerie get reduced and it makes her even tougher to hit. I placed her at the head of the formation, Regangor and Amira behind her to the side a bit and Linzi, Octavia and my main (Archaeologist) way in the back.

Use everything. Potions of Shield of Faith, Heroism spell, Magus abilities like enchanting your weapon for a minute and so on. After several attempts I was able to just complete a tough encounter with the Silent alpha wolf pack by using these techniques. Found a corner in the room I was able to carefully corner in, used Expeditious Retreat on Linzi so she could run in fast, shoot one to get their attention and run back, then held formation as they hopelessly tried to attack my miniature tank Valerie. Worked like a charm. :)

Also buff with Bless scrolls, Bear's Endurance (Valerie, make her extra tanky), Strength spell on both Ragognor and Amira, and have Linzi sing her Bard song. For extra help I had my Archaeologist use Archaeologist's Luck which increases his rolls and Octavia had Hurricane Bow dealing extra ranged bow damage. Almost came out completely unscathed, and that was after dying horribly several times! A change of strategy, not random luck decided it in my favor.

Sycamore has a number of tough challenges, including some that require higher level characters compared to other combats. You just need to make a judgement call whether this is something you can win by changing tactics or come back after you gained a few more level.

It's bloody good fun, that area!!! :)

Sycamore has a number of tough challenges, including some that require higher level characters compared to other combats. You just need to make a judgement call whether this is something you can win by changing tactics or come back after you gained a few more level.

It's bloody good fun, that area!!! :)

It is! I went there first and had to leave, it was too hard. Came back with more party members later in the story and it was a lot easier. Still had some tricky encounters, though. Had to have a full party for that place.

Well I got cursed in a scripted interaction but I found the priest that become a scroll merchant in Oleg's with remove curse scrolls too (yeah!). It was rather expensive though (less than buying potions though), but I found a +1 sickle that is worth more than the 5 scrolls I had to buy so I guess it even out.

From my experience tonight, you're better off following the main/side quests early on. I tried some of the "point of interests" on the map and I kinda wish there was a way to say "not now" beside them (just one look at the monster I knew that was a "nope"…I tried it anyway, lol). But if I kept on the quests, everything was manageable (some stuff were more like boss fights though, but that's expected).

Also, about the camp and healing, at the top reads what it says. I camped once and the bar said "will rest for 1 hour, won't actually rest". Than I clicked on the bar right arrow (the inner most one) and it moved to resting for 1 day and 1 hours, the other one with the little heart is to rest until healed.

im in the dwarf fortress, whats the deal with the sun/moon discs?

Holy crap, you are already up to that part?

If it's a puzzle, then I never actually figured out how to solve it.

I'm patching the game now, after that, I CAN FINALLY START PLAYING AGAIN :D

I love that the game has puzzle and hidden stuff and secret areas. Me <3 puzzles and secrets.

People were talking about bag of holdings earlier in the thread. There is a professor's hat in the game that act as a bag of holding (+200 to carrying capacity) and gives + 2 competence bonus to all skill checks. No idea where to find it, I saw someone post a screenshot in the game discord asking what was better between that an a headband of intellect for is wizard.

Finally got to play Kingmaker tonight :D

I'm really impressed how much improvement Owlcat made over the beta version. I found out that if you delay going after your rival, then you will get 2 of your companions much later (if you pursue your rival earlier, you get 1 of the 2 companions earlier).

From my experience tonight, you're better off following the main/side quests early on. I tried some of the "point of interests" on the map and I kinda wish there was a way to say "not now" beside them (just one look at the monster I knew that was a "nope"…I tried it anyway, lol). But if I kept on the quests, everything was manageable (some stuff were more like boss fights though, but that's expected).

That was my experience, too. Follow the main quest until you have a full party and level up in the process, then check out the other points of interest.

I love that the game has puzzle and hidden stuff and secret areas. Me <3 puzzles and secrets.

Yep, exploring off the beaten path is a good idea. That's how I found some secret loot and also the Silent Wolf Pack. Still gleaming over that victory and how I used tactics after dying several times, lol. Valerie in Half Plate +1, Fighting Defensively + Reduced size is a cheat code, haha.

I made a quick video showing a way to use tactical positioning and buffs to beat a tough ambush encounter. Feel free to take a peek if you're bored.

Last edited:
And got a gamebreaker bug; in the throne room you get a quest about someone stealing from your treasury, linzi tells you to meet her at the inn but when i leave the throne room, crash to the menu.

Can someone explain what Fortitude/Reflex/Will saving throws are for? I get that Will generally has to do with magic, but what about Fortitude or Reflex? What's the best for a typical tank/absorb damage build? I would imagine Fortitude but I'm not sure the differences.

From the reference document:
Fortitude
These saves measure your ability to stand up to physical punishment or attacks against your vitality and health. Apply your Constitution modifier to your Fortitude saving throws.

Reflex
These saves test your ability to dodge area attacks and unexpected situations. Apply your Dexterity modifier to your Reflex saving throws.

Will
These saves reflect your resistance to mental influence as well as many magical effects. Apply your Wisdom modifier to your Will saving throws.

The best for tank is usually Will followed by Fortitude. The reasons for Will is because you don't want your tank charmed/dominated/feared. Fortitude so they don't get prone.

I bit the bullet and got it. Just finished the tutorial with a test character and I have a few observations and questions.

First observations (I won't split them into pros and cons, but you'll get the idea about what I liked and what I did not like):
- I encountered some fairly minor bugs so far, some missing text (this was apparently fixed, It's my stupid brain remembering it from a Youtube video from few days ago) and some UI quirks; nothing game breaking so far;
- I find some of the in-game descriptions are lacking, I was not able to understand them since some info was missing;
- Proper PC UI; I have nothing against playing with a controller, but I'm on mouse and keyboard and I appreciate how much info there is and how little I have to scroll to get to where I want to be;
- I would like it if it let me zoom out more, but it's not terrible this way either; I feel just one more step would be fine, but that's just my personal preference;
- Performance in the tutorial was good, but sometimes framerate fell below 60 with neither GPU nor CPU usage being near 100%; it wasn't by much, something like 55, 56, but I worry it will fall even further in more demanding areas; for reference, my system is: i5-2500k overclocked to 4200MHz, 8GB of RAM, GTX 1060 6GB;
- Loading times were OK, but I did install it on an HDD; if I installed it on an SSD, it would be great, I guess;
- You can't zoom out (or in) on the world map (or I don't know how to); the world map seems large, but I'll have to play more to find out;
- Portrait selection is really small; good to know custom portraits are a thing in this game.

Now the questions:
I made a barbarian as a test character since I've read some people had difficult time with casters. I could go with that, but:
at the end of the tutorial your party splits and I get another barbarian, a fighter, and a bard. I don't need that many tanks. Is this the same every time, or do I get different people based on my actions?
Is there a way to see how other party members feel about you? There is a situation in the tutorial where you have to choose what to do and two party members want you to do opposing things. If I do something that other party member doesn't like,does our relationship change?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom