Win7 End Times… - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Win7 End Times…

View Poll Results - Windows 10 or bust??

What's the big deal? Windows 10 all the way baby! 17 60.71%
They'll pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands.. 5 17.86%
A little of both: I'll boot as necessary 4 14.29%
I think you're overthinking this. Who cares 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Default Win7 End Times…

January 12th, 2020, 00:13
I never had a problem updating windows 10 till today. I just go the issue resolved - it was throwing kbmode exception on boot up; wouldn't roll back or forward. I was on 1903 and it tried to update something i think 1909 and that really screw things up. Anyway it might work now or might not.
-
Yea i had linux update screw up royally but the difference between linux and windows is no freaking registry. I can reinstall linux on the system disk - copy over a few custom config changes to /etc and not have to worry about reinstalling all my gigs of software. On windows screw up that registry or reinstall and your (well i am) stuck with reinstalling gigs of software (mostly steam and gog games). Technically they should run without install but some of them store data in the registry and it is a guessing game what needs what.
-
That's not to say i like linux burps - and i won't go into some of the problems i have had with their video drives other than to say ubuntu 18.04 broke sandybridge hd graphics and the ati driver has its own set of issue.
--
If it helps i have some friends at ms (i'm sure you do too) and they had rather interesting things to say about the current windows 10 development team. Conversely i found a gazillion posts with my issue unfortunately - the ones responded by microsoft frequently had different solutions - most of them not working. A common solution or frequent comment is just reinstall windows which sadly would be a real nightmare

Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
And I never, ever had any problems with Windows update, from Windows 7, through 8 and 8.1, to 10. I actually had Linux break many, many times after an update (mostly graphics drivers but also DEs and once X broke). And I'll be the first to tell you that the way Linux does updates is way better than Windows. It's not as apocalyptic as you and other people having problems make it out to be. There were some pretty stupid bugs due to updates last year, but it was fixed. It always gets fixed.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 12th, 2020, 00:25
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
Not so sure about monopoly. At least not a secure one, they are slowly loosing market shares to Apple (in terms of desktop OS).
Very, very slowly.

Win 10- —————47.65%
Win 7 - —————32.74%
Mac OS X 10.14 - 5.21%
Win 8.1—————-4.09%
Win XP——————2.03%

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 12th, 2020, 02:48
I wonder how many corporations paid for extended windows 7 support.

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Very, very slowly.

Win 10- —————47.65%
Win 7 - —————32.74%
Mac OS X 10.14 - 5.21%
Win 8.1—————-4.09%
Win XP——————2.03%

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 12th, 2020, 04:57
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
It's a free upgrade, for now.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft…load/windows10
Sorry but how do you get the free version? That page you linked says: "To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10"
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 12th, 2020, 10:05
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Sorry but how do you get the free version? That page you linked says: "To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10"
You use your Windows 7 license (or higher). Keep in mind it needs to be the same user version (win7 Pro to win10 Pro, etc).

You can even just enter your window 7 license when doing a fresh install of Windows 10.

Keep in mind that technically you don’t even need a license for Windows 10. You’ll get a little nag logo in the bottom right corner to activate it, and you won’t be able customize your desktop (although there’s a workaround to change your wallpaper) but everything else including updates is fully functional.

Getting a Win7 license is so cheap though, might as well. You can even search various electronics recycle bins and find a tossed Lenovo or HP workstation in there and use the OEM license sticker. Free OS. I’ve even used OEM win7 license stickers from broken laptops (usually found under the battery slot) to do Win10 installs on brand new desktops. Works fine. Microsoft is very lenient so as to have a unified OS.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 12th, 2020, 14:42
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Very, very slowly.

Win 10- —————47.65%
Win 7 - —————32.74%
Mac OS X 10.14 - 5.21%
Win 8.1—————-4.09%
Win XP——————2.03%
Guess that depends on the source you use. See this:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market…-200901-202001

(Its a bit confusing tho, I guess this includes laptop and desktop pcs. At least you can't select for laptop only.)

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 12th, 2020, 23:29
My parents have Windows 10 on their Laptop. I just can't help them. The UI so much BEEEEEEEEEEP that I just can't find anything at all. Because that I just can't help them when they have a problem.

[ "Beep" is a way for me to write down even the worst swear-words without anyone seeing them. ]
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 13th, 2020, 01:15
What is that anything you can't find? That's not possible.

Whatever you want to get to, type a few starting letters in the search "window" which opens when you click on mag. glass:

To be honest I can't believe you have a problem with windows UI after accepting mmo UI which is always a mess.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
+1:

January 13th, 2020, 01:56
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What is that anything you can't find? That's not possible.
Whatever you want to get to, type a few starting letters in the search "window" which opens when you click on mag. glass
This x 1000.

If you want a more traditional File Explorer view (rather than the default Quick Access view), perform a search above for the words "file explorer options", click on the result, and change the Open File Explorer drop-down option to This PC:

Also, right-clicking on the start-button gives you a ton of faster shortcuts over Win7:

--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

January 13th, 2020, 03:01
Well seems we all should be ready to pay for Win 10x soon.

Link - https://www.zdnet.com/article/window…ws-10-variant/
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

January 13th, 2020, 13:19
10x is not ment for common users.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 14th, 2020, 09:59
Update: Microsoft has terminated support for Windows 7.And Microsoft still offers a way to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7,like the Windows Media Creation Tool,it can be used to download and burn the Windows 10 iso.

Michelle J. Friedman

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 17th, 2020, 04:13
You have been assimilated. Resistance was futile. Your life, as it has beeeen, is now over. From this time forward,
you will service
us.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

January 17th, 2020, 10:17
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Yeah, those "guys" are these types of people:

loading…

Otherwise they wouldn't be on the technical forums…
I have a Windows 7 laptop that I haven't updated in about five years and haven't upgraded ever that I use solely for gaming and I've had zero issues with it for 10 years now.

Apart from going on-line… (or playing later than 2010 high graphics games)

As soon as I connect it to the internet and open Explorer it slows to an almighty crawl and practically stops working.

So I just don't go on-line with it.

And this is the same issue I had with my Windows 7 desktop. It plays games and does everything you can do off-line perfectly, but as soon as it tries to do the internet it struggles. So the desktop now languishes in a cupboard unused until very occasionally needed.

The issue was never being infected by viruses and trojans, the issue was always that each day the graphical requirements and RAM requirements increased to match current capacity. But just using an old laptop for old games and things like Word and Excel shouldn't be any issue at all.

I guess if you have loads of PCs connected on a very public network like in a business environment then there's more of a chance of infection?

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

January 17th, 2020, 19:15
Windows Seven still seems to be working fine for me, and I'll just keeping using it until this computer gives up the ghost. Even when that day does roll around, I'll likely try to get Windows Seven on my next computer simply because it works well for me, and I like the way it looks and functions. Windows ten, at least what I saw of it two years ago, graphically looked awful and I heard much about how older games simply don't seem to run well on it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

January 18th, 2020, 01:06
The problem with windows 7 (if you connect to the internet) are all the remote explotations that can be triggered without you visiting a website.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 18th, 2020, 01:12
I can only hope that redundant firewalls, virus protection and common sense continue to serve me well. I do generally yank the plug to the internet whilst gaming, so I'm only online usually briefly.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

January 26th, 2020, 00:51
https://www.fsf.org/windows/upcycle-windows-7

Petition to make win7 open source.

Sure, It'll never happen, but why not give it a shot?

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

January 26th, 2020, 02:13
Because it makes no sense.
Hardware manufacturers stopped caring and no new drivers are being made for win7. Eventually you'll have to buy a new rig and then what. Petition to make all drivers opensource?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

January 26th, 2020, 02:40
Originally Posted by you View Post
The problem with windows 7 (if you connect to the internet) are all the remote explotations that can be triggered without you visiting a website.
Which remote exploits are these? I wasn't aware of any current open ones.

If people persist with using windows 7 I would recommend updating it to as of Jan 2020 and disabling any unneeded services and features (to reduce the attack surface). Then get a decent firewall (a good free one is https://www.pfsense.org/).
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Win7 End Times…