Wasteland 2 - Combat Trailer & Housekeeping

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile Entertainment released a new kickstarter update with a new gameplay video for Wasteland 2 along with more infomation on the release of the game.

Options for Getting the Game

As we have mentioned during the Kickstarter and after, the way we'll be distributing digital copies of the game will be through a number of our digital retail partners, including the most popular and DRM-free options. When you redeem your key(s) on release day, you will be able to pick from these digital retailers:

Steam will no doubt be the go-to option for most of you: Wasteland 2 will be added to your Steam library, it will automatically update to the latest version and it offers cross-platform support, meaning your single key is valid for Windows, Mac and Linux.

GOG.com is a fully DRM-free option. They support Windows, Mac and Linux as well.

We may offer more options, but the above should cover every wish from fully DRM-free to auto-updating on each of our platforms.

Physical copies will be shipped out to the address you listed on the Ranger Center. All physical copies – retail and backers – will need the ability for a day 1 patch system. By the time physical copies arrive to backers the gold master version we sent out for print will be a month and a half old, and will be missing vital optimization and balance passes, as well as systemic changes like the addition of headshots that we recently put in. We need to ensure that our players are experiencing the most up to date code, so we will be utilizing the automatic updating system that Steam provides for physical copies.

Every physical copy tier comes with a digital version of the game also, where you can pick the fully DRM-free GOG.com or Steam. If you prefer a fully DRM-free physical copy we will be willing to print and ship a day-1 version of the game to you at a later time, simply contact us through the Ranger Center if this has your preference.

Steam Keys & Beta Access

After hearing from our backers on the beta key "locking you" into Steam and discussing the issue with Steam, we found a nice solution for people who want to opt into the beta but receive a final copy somewhere else. We will be adding a "Revoke Key" button on the Ranger Center which will deactivate your Steam key (automatically removing it from your Steam library) and reset your digital retailer choice, allowing you to go back and choose another one of our digital retailers such as GOG.com.

If you have redeemed your Wasteland 2 beta key on Steam and plan to play the final game on Steam, you don't have to do anything, your beta key turns into a full release key automatically on release day.

Box Shipping Timeline

Among the moving parts that affected release were the shipping times of physical goods. The large box copies will ship first and the collector's edition second, simply due to longer timelines. We don't have exact ship dates yet, but we'll announce them as soon as we do. Manufacturing has already begun on all of the elements. If your tier includes both the collector's and standard boxed versions of the game, your large box will arrive at the later time with your collector's edition.

As we get closer to shipping we'll have more details on things like packaging, shipping companies used, and timelines for shipping. Keep an eye on the Wasteland 2 tumblr for more information on this.
More information.

Like with Might and Magic X, the developers are terribly bad at communicating things.

I mean why don't they calm down people by saying like "headshots are in" or something.

In MMX until shortly before release nobody knew that animations and walking speed will be adjusted which was a big let down in the game.

That's just something which should be communicated.

The video looks much better than the current status of the Beta...so I hope for the best.

Nice, I am stoked. I could repeat all that's been said but any PC gamer can take one look and see it's potential. September 19th can't come soon enough, apparently I'm excited to watch my bank account dip $60.

September 19th can't come soon enough, apparently I'm excited to watch my bank account dip $60.

The release version is actually going to be $40.

I got it as part of the double-pack tier for the Torment Kickstarter, although I haven't played the beta beyond testing to see that it ran okay.

Like with Might and Magic X, the developers are terribly bad at communicating things.

I mean why don't they calm down people by saying like "headshots are in" or something.
We did? It was announced on twitter/facebook/forums/tumblr a while ago, and was mentioned again in this update and shown in the video?

Yep, was also news for me. I am heavily reading forums and in fact checked your (and others) recent posts and could not find too much information there in the last month or two.

Then I guess it is also already known what happens to the Shrines and "Artifacts" which are currently quite hated on the forums?

Then I guess it is also already known what happens to the Shrines and "Artifacts" which are currently quite hated on the forums?

I despise forum hate-mongers… :p They are full of self-righteous opinions with which I frequently disagree. :p :p :p If the developers need to gather opinions, it would be much better to use an unbiased poll so as to avoid skewed perceptions based on a few loud voices. Of course the haters really hate those…

Haha, well, of course you have to take anything with a grain of salt.

But on the other hand, if you asked random people on the street about what they like and would buy, I guess Wasteland 2 would have action combat and tons of ingame purchases as these seem to be very popular. ;)

On the forums you tend to get more of the "hardcore player" opinion - which of course isn't really what the game needs in all cases either.

But the thing is that either way, no one knows what is going on. I think the last info was "it's being looked into"...and I guess it's a little late as of today to still being "looking into it".

Or what about Coordination? Even in the trailer you can see that the descripton reads that a minimum is required for ranged weapons. But to my knowledge (from the forums) there is currently no weapon which actually needs it.

In the trailer they also jumped over luck. It currently states that it increases Hitpoints occasionally. But it seems like in the beta it doesn't. In general Luck is a value mostly everyone seems to set on the value of 1, as it seems like wasted points (not that occasional HP would be better).

We have a kind of tiered info structure. If you want to know everything tumblr (which basically just functions as a blog) is the place to follow, but we're not going to do a Kickstarter update for every tidbit because not all backers like that. So we basically offer options to people for how much info they want to have, you can opt to follow more info or not.

Yeah, commented here

Right so, a few thoughts on shrines: we'd just finished putting backer content into the game right before this build was made. Considerations of how to find shrines and how they worked had not really gone in yet, so the way they work is not really representative of the final game.

For one thing, they will be harder to find: most likely the perception radius will no longer work on them, instead you have to walk right on them or get the coordinates from an NPC (this action will usually be quest-related). We're also looking into exactly how their bonuses work and going to tweak that as needed, though it's too early to say exactly how they'll work on release, there's a few ideas floating around and we've been looking here for some, so thanks for all the input and ideas!

Yep, that was what I found on the forums, too. Thinking about this part:
We're also looking into exactly how their bonuses work and going to tweak that as needed, though it's too early to say exactly how they'll work on release, there's a few ideas floating around and we've been looking here for some, so thanks for all the input and ideas!

The release version is actually going to be $40.

Cool thanks mate, that's means I can put the others $20 towards Fable Anniversary

I like everything about the game except for character development and combat - which is lacking perks - something they've mentioned but said won't make release - and that's a bummer.

Considering how great the game is overall, it's a sad omission.

Combat ends up being very generic and repetitive (and you fight a LOT) since there isn't much to it except shoot generic shot (or do generic melee swing). The lack of special attacks or perk based actions is a bummer.

Leveling/character progression also end up being fairly bland quick because all you really do is bump skills by a point here and there. You need more skill points than you get in a level for later bumps so sometimes you end up saving points. You never get more attribute points (I believe). So there isn't a lot of decisions to be made or much to it.

Overall, I think the game is very good. I love the music, I personally think the graphics are excellent for this style of game, the ambience and everything is really good, UI is good - it's just that the combat is a bit lackluster and the character development is a bit lackluster and having perks in for release would bring those elements up to the level of the rest of the game.

IMO they should delay release to incorporate perks NOW rather than put them in later (if that's still the plan), but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom