Divinity: Original Sin II - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are three reviews for Original Sin 2 I could dig up. Not a large amount of reviews, but there are a number of reviews as work in progress to be found, which I have not added to this list.

GameInformer, 9.75

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time, and Larian’s continued dedication to creating incredible freeform adventures inspired by tabletop lineage is inspiring and commendable. A few bugs and frustrating encounters are small prices to pay for a lavish ensemble of the genre’s best and a one-of-a-kind experience.
Gameskinny, 9

I've been trying to think of things I legitimately don't like about the game and can only come up with minor quibbles, like the fact that some of the standard key bindings don't quite make sense to me. Why does the G button bring up the crafting screen instead of the C button? Why does tab switch to combat instead of highlighting the stuff on the ground?

Other than that, and my distaste for comic relief, there's really nothing about Divinity: Original Sin 2 that doesn't scream "RPG of the year!" It's got everything an RPG fanatic could want: crafting, 10 types of skill categories to choose from, different build foci, robust combat, interesting characters and quests, and plenty more. Basically, if you love anything cRPG related from the Infinity Engine forward, you need to buy this game
Multiplayer.it, 9.4
No idea what they are saying, as it is in Italian, but given the rating, I'm sure it's something positive.

More information.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPG JUNKs of all time.. Hype for the Junk Train.

What do you mean? Can you explain? I haven't played it at all yet.

I don't remember anything positive written by that user…

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but calling it one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time is a bit much. To say the least.

9 and more?
When did those reviewers made time to complete all quests, all 6 crewmember sidestories, solo playthrough then coop playthrough, GM mode, etc?
The game is huge and rich with content, I just can't believe they tried everything and based the score on that everything.

Okay multiplayer.it probably tried coop only in LAN, over internet and with two mushhroom pads attached on one PC so I guess coop could be 9.4, but I'm more interested in singleplayer.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but calling it one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time is a bit much. To say the least.
You missed the word "junk". ;)
Tastes. IIRC he's into Avernum.

Review copies probalby went out a week in advance. I actually find the game quite decent - esp the story but i'm not very far. Just completed act 1. Its not perfect and it lacks some of the humor that DD had but really so far ok.

I enjoy this game very much, it is beautiful, well polished and deep in combat system.

Those reviews feel a bit like paid reviewers Bethesda style.

or just derp reviewers, game is a bugfest, how can you give 9.75 to a bugfest

The nature of online gaming journalism (using "journalism" in the loosest possible way) requires that these writers trip over each other to the finish line with their reviews, or they don't get paid. This might work for FPS or other genres. But with cRPGs with any depth, these reviews are largely worthless. That's what makes places like rpgWatch so useful... I put the opinion of most regulars here far FAR above those of paid "reviewers."

Wow, was hoping for more real-time feedback from forum members about this game. So it's buggy but decent. That's all we got so far?

I enjoyed the first OS more than I expected I would, but will probably wait for the discounts to start showing.

I'm enjoying the new DOS 2 far more than DOS 1 so far. There are quirks to get used to, change in the mechanics. For example, to those used to play on hard simply because games nowadays become too easy really fast, I don't recommend the tactician level but the classic one. On tactician the game definitely is a lot harder and the fights become much longer.

Personally I like Tactician. I like the longer fights and having to ponder how to extract the utmost of my characters abilities, planning how the environment and all can interact better together....and sometimes coming back later or trying a few times :p. But its definitely not for everyone.

I'm know there are bugs because I've read about them, but I haven't encountered any so far in my game.

I got bored quite fast by the fights in the first and found the story average. I am having lot of fun with this one. Even n the writing seems way better.
Avoid Nicholas in the chapter 2. That guy is till bugged.

I was hoping this would be the one where they knocked it out of the park, but many reliable voices are tempering expectations somewhat, even if the press seems ecstatic.

Yes, it's definitively an EE buy for me…

I was hoping this would be the one where they knocked it out of the park, but many reliable voices are tempering expectations somewhat, even if the press seems ecstatic.

They knocked it out of the planet if you go read neogaf or reddits threads about the game actually.

RPGWatch is just full of jaded gamers.

Back
Top Bottom