Dark Souls III - Is the Magic Fading?

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamespot asks the question if the magic of Dark Souls 3 is fading in this article from last week, based on the stress test. The reason they ask the question is that based on the stress test they felt like it was more of the same, which isn't perse bad.

The biggest change to gameplay is the introduction of Weapon Arts, a unique special move for the game's arsenal of arms. Three games in, the way a broadsword, axe, or rapier works has become second nature, but Weapon Arts add a new wrinkle. While one weapon may have a heaving upward swing that launches enemies into the air, another may activate a powered-up state for a short period. This gives players a reason to experiment with different weapons again, instead of sticking to those they’ve become attached to. Better still, it provides a reason to carry a second weapon beyond serving as a fallback for your main one if it breaks. Since all this is governed by a new energy bar, there’s also a layer of strategy to micromanage Weapon Arts.

Despite all this, it’s still hitting the the same beats that a Dark Souls game should. It’s challenging, hides enemies off camera to spring an ambush, while bosses are towering monsters, and environmental traps punish the foolhardy. It’s still satisfying, but feels rote. Seasoned players have peeked behind the curtain multiple times, so it’s easy to predict what’s coming. That convenient alcove in the camera’s blind-spot that’s just big enough to hide an enemy isn’t fooling anyone.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

The biggest change is MANA supply.

Back in Demons Souls (which had mana) you could pick the sorcerer who started with a mana regen ring and cheese the whole game with magic missile and boringly waiting for mana to regen. This is also known as scumming.

One has to question whether Miyazaki has been over-rated as a game director when he reintroduces scumming opportunities into a "hardcore" dungeon crawler.

"Sword arts" amount to nothing more than melee spells using a particular weapon as a "catalyst" and cost MANA to use.

Dark Souls was special because it kept the old D&D 2nd edition influence. Fighters onlyfight and have no special active moves and casters rest to memorise spells. This allows for proper hybrid Fighter/mage classes when you combine the two as they were both unrelated and covered different areas.

So what's fighter now? 1 melee spell? 1 for each weapon? What weapon does he have, what spell does it cast? Has to invest in mana points? Does the Art have a cooldown I have to wait for every fight while I'm waiting for my mana to regen?

See, once you get to this point the next design decision is....???? That's right! Faster out of combat mana/HP regeneration to save users time since you can assume they'll stand there waiting for mana and cooldown regens because they want a proper start for the encounter!

PvP is now going to be two guys spamming mana using spells with their weapons. Traditional sword swings? Why bother when you can smash a guy into the air? Normal attacks are for people with no mana left. If they're good designers and can follow this MANA design path forward then we can expect to see people trying to get out of combat for faster regen and PVP will just be all people running away.

Mana is popular in MMORPGS so if you were thinking about making a Dark Souls mmorpg tie-in it would be good to have for that...

I could be wrong because I wasn't paying too much attention to it but I don't think mana regenerated without using a blue estus. Also the special moves that I used with the weapons I found weren't really powerful enough for me to want to spam them. They also took longer to execute so couldn't be spam in many situations.

As for scumming or exploiting the game that's been a part of all the dark souls games. The bow could be used to cheese bosses without them attacking you or to get the tail of the dragon and kill it, the forest area where you could farm endless xp by running the guys off the cliff, poison enemies and watch them die, the giant boss by the cliff that you could kill with out getting hit by leading him back toward the entrance ( can't remember his name), etc.

I honestly think they do it purposely as a kind of easy mode for those that need it.

Anyway, having played the stress test I don't mind the changes at all but I don't play PVP so that makes a difference I'm sure.

I honestly think they do it purposely as a kind of easy mode for those that need it.

I think this is correct. I saw multiple commentaries to this effect re Dark Souls 2, for example see http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/dark_...y_dark_souls_2_isnt_as_hard_as_you_think.html. Not that DS2 is easy, but there are very sophisticated ways to adjust the difficulty as you play without a slider bar in the Options GUI.

Also agree v PvP, if I could change one thing about DS games it would be the ability to turn that stuff off and just play the damn game without having to deal with it.

The magic of dark souls? The magic of grinding?

tumblr_mpmonaq9NK1qkdy8to1_500.gif

Goddamit joxer, I was about to post the same thing. :p

I could be wrong because I wasn't paying too much attention to it but I don't think mana regenerated without using a blue estus.
Ahh, ok. Does the blue estus refill when you rest? Does it use the same upgrade material as the normal one so you have to choose?

Mana didn't regenerate in Demon Souls. You could just start as a class which had a mana regen ring with its starting equipment. Other than that it was eating magic grass or something. I think it could be found later on but I only played Demons a little bit at a mates place.
Also the special moves that I used with the weapons I found weren't really powerful enough for me to want to spam them. They also took longer to execute so couldn't be spam in many situations.
Good to hear. So worried about them ruining melee.
As for scumming or exploiting the game that's been a part of all the dark souls games. The bow could be used to cheese bosses without them attacking you or to get the tail of the dragon and kill it, the forest area where you could farm endless xp by running the guys off the cliff, poison enemies and watch them die, the giant boss by the cliff that you could kill with out getting hit by leading him back toward the entrance ( can't remember his name), etc.

Yeah, true as well. I like how Souls handles difficulty like that.

Nope. And i woudnt mind if they releasedyearly for the next 50 years :D

Back
Top Bottom