Demon's Souls - VG24/7 Retrospective

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Seven years later, Demon's Souls is still sticking with some people and affecting the way they play games. VG24/7 has a retrospective.

Demons%20Souls.jpg

<blockquote style="text-align: justify;">Demon’s Souls is seven years old today; it first launched on February 5 2009. A spiritual successor to the King’s Field series, the brutally punishing RPG spoke to a very specific kind of Japanese gamer: those who’d grown up playing baffling, badly-translated (or unlocalised!) western RPGs. It was the sort of situation that gave rise to the great Wizardry schism; the humour of the parody RPG was lost in translation, and the series has a long, po-faced legacy in Japan that seems bizarre to those involved with the original seed.

Nothing ever feels as awe-inspiring, as challenging, as enigmatic, as surprising, as different or as beautifully satisfying as that first run through the terrifying and beautiful Demon’s Souls. In the early days of RPGs traveling west to east, fans would gather on bulletin boards to share tips and advice on how to unpack pages of incomprehensible text and leverage unfamiliar, unexplained gameplay systems. To recreate this feeling, From Software implemented its now famous asynchronous notes system, emulating the collaborative problem solving and regular trolling of those early RPG fans.

The way Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne refuse to explain themselves to you, peppered as they are with items of dubious use, mysterious references and esoteric synergies, gives you a shadow of the experience of what it was like for Japanese RPG fans before local developers took up the now ubiquitous systems of levelling, inventory, customisation – whatever it is that makes an RPG, as passed down to us by Gary Gygax.

[/quote]More.

More information.

The only souls game I haven't been able to play. Wish it would come to PS4 via PlayStation now or maybe even the impossible happen and make it to PC.

There is a thought that it may be released for the PS4 after that sneaky pic Sony (I think) released last year.

As a Sony exclusive it wont go to the PC.

Demons' Souls was hard, but fun. I managed to finish it.

This is my second best Souls game (the first is... Bloodborne... yeah, I know!)

I really liked the small levels as opposed to DS's long openworld design.
Playing it was a similar experience to play a tough shooter: memorize enemy patterns, and be prepare early on.

Coming from Kings Field IV THe Ancient City on the PS2, the only other From Software game I had played, Demons Soul was improved in nearly every way. KF4 had very clunky controls to me, where Demons and the later Souls games were rock solid in their execution.

Last edited:
SEMI-OFF

Speaking of Souls games... how's Lords of The Fallen compares to these?
I really want to recommend this type of game to a friend of mine, but she is definitely not this hardcore.

... sooo, is LoF is...
1. good game, similar to Souls, but easier to play?
2. or, justmeh. fuggedabou'it?

SEMI-OFF OFF

I really like lords of the fallen. It's souls like but not nearly as unforgiving IMO.

I beat it twice and I think it would be a good game to play to ease into souls type games.

It did have some late game technical issues present on both PC and console but I think they finally ironed it out. The game was completable though, obviously as I already said I beat it twice.

Unless it's bundled for almost free or she really, really likes the game don't bother with the DLC. I beat it in 15 min. the first play through and about 5 min. the next time.

I know I've posted more in depth on it elsewhere but don't remember where.

It's also shorter I beat it twice in just 74 hours.

Got 105 hours on LotF on Steam and all Achievements. And still could play some more if not for all other games waiting for me :) Played it Fall 2015 and game crushed on me twice with no other glitches. Looks very nice and shares philosophy with Souls. But tells its own story - much lesser cryptic then Souls. Go for it as it`s on Steam sale now. Get Ancient Labirynth - nice small addition to game and if You hunt achievements it has few of its own.

I have a confession as I don't like the series and most action games nowadays. Now I wont belittle members who like these type of games, but there just not for me.^^

Aaarh! Started playing Demon's souls last summer I think, but it's just wicked brutal… just sucks you dry of all hope and spits you out. I mean Lordran is a place of happiness in comparison!

I need to gather strength to continue…

I didn't find Demon's Souls as hard as Dark Souls to be honest but that was possibly partially because I'd played Dark Souls first and was a little more battle-hardened to the struggle of this kind of gaming experience.

I also elected to go for a Sorcerer build as my first character in Demon's' Souls but only after struggling to really get to grips with the melee system in my trial run as a hunter first. At any rate, I recommend the sorcerer to players looking for an easier time with the game.

There's a few memorable bosses. I fondly recall I had the most trouble with the likes of Maneater and Flamelurker yet with a few others, were able to conquer them with distance management the very first time. Descending through the third section of the Shrine of Storms I think it was, was also one of the tougher trials to endure.

Finally, there's Maiden in Black: *inward melancholic sigh; plays piano loop with some smidgen of nostalgia* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskmVPZBalw

Soul of the Mind,
Key to life's ether
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel
Let strength be granted so that the world might be mended
So that the world might be mended…

Back
Top Bottom