G-Sync vs IPS

This thread got me thinking about how I can upgrade my setup. Seems I learned a lot in the process, such as my 4K TV doesn't have the best bells and whistles. BUT, UHD Color looks phenomenal with a proper HDMI 2.0 cable. I didn't realize how big of a difference it was until I looked at the screen without it. Unfortunately, I can't use ARC at the same time to my knowledge (my TV has a separate HDMI ARC input). It's weird, because although the menu on my TV says that 4 HDMI slots support UHD Color, 3 of them are greyed out and only the first slot actually works. Not sure what that's about.

Does an Nvidia GPU support ARC anyway? Probably not.

I think springing for an even nicer 4K TV in the somewhat near future would be a good bet. Just have to upgrade my motherboard perhaps, and my GPU a bit. :p Also might be time to upgrade my surround sound seeing that it only has one Digital input (my PC goes to that, but my soundcard doesn't really have another digital input for my TV).

Bear in mind that HDR and 10bit colour are technologies that can be implemented so poorly as to be pretty useless. In the realm of TVs, there is a new UHD Premium certification that guarantees they can display at least 90% of the colour space, and a minimum dynamic contrast range. I've seen those in action, and IMO, it's the biggest leap in display quality I've seen, but we'll need to be careful not to get sold uncertified lemons. I'm not sure if that certification will be used for monitors, or if we'll have to just rely on reviews.

This is why I was saying that, if I had the choice, I would hold off on a monitor purchase for a year or two - when we have proper HDR 4k with variable refresh, it'll be time for the upgrade.

EDIT: Looks like the first wave is incoming, but at high prices. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3154...dr-explodes-onto-pc-monitors-at-ces-2017.html

Last edited:
Damn. ^ That looks cool! So, later this year perhaps a GPU with HDR tech + 4K TV/monitor with HDR ability is a smooth move. That might be early but I might not be able to wait. :p I can't go back to a smaller monitor, though, which is why I use a large TV. But if a large 4K TV can display a good HDR and what not, that could be a really nice upgrade.

The UHD Color in this TV makes a *huge* difference. I only realized it when I hooked up my PC to an HDMI input that didn't support it. When I switched it back over, whoa. Deep blacks, really great colors. Even if this TV doesn't have a great implementation technically, it's still a ton better than without it. I can only imagine (and salivate) at what HDR + even better UHD Color would be like. :party2:

Also, I just received this cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^ The 6 foot version. I see a very significant upgrade in visual quality now. I suspect that while I was using a good HDMI 2.0 cable before, it was 12 feet long. I recently saw that anything over 10 feet can perhaps degrade the quality of a 4K picture. Whatever the case, the cable I just linked is excellent and a nice visual upgrade over what I was using.

Last edited:
Also, I just received this cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^ The 6 foot version. I see a very significant upgrade in visual quality now. I suspect that while I was using a good HDMI 2.0 cable before, it was 12 feet long. I recently saw that anything over 10 feet can perhaps degrade the quality of a 4K picture. Whatever the case, the cable I just linked is excellent and a nice visual upgrade over what I was using.

A digital signal can't really degrade in quality - it either successfully sends the data, or it doesn't, and the picture would start to corrupt. That's what would happen if a cable is too long. It might be some other factor.

Damn. ^ That looks cool! So, later this year perhaps a GPU with HDR tech + 4K TV/monitor with HDR ability is a smooth move. That might be early but I might not be able to wait. :p I can't go back to a smaller monitor, though, which is why I use a large TV. But if a large 4K TV can display a good HDR and what not, that could be a really nice upgrade.

The UHD Color in this TV makes a *huge* difference. I only realized it when I hooked up my PC to an HDMI input that didn't support it. When I switched it back over, whoa. Deep blacks, really great colors. Even if this TV doesn't have a great implementation technically, it's still a ton better than without it. I can only imagine (and salivate) at what HDR + even better UHD Color would be like. :party2:

It's all in your head. It's a digital signal. You can't make zeros and ones more zeroey and oney.

Last edited:
Huh. After using the old cable for so long, it does seem like there is an improvement after using this new cable. It might still be the shock from testing the UHD Color settings.

Is it possible that my older HDMI 2.0 cable wasn't sending a full 4:4:4 chroma color or something? As far as I know the full color settings were turned on in the Nvidia control panel and my TV for the entirety of using this PC.

Edit - There's *definitely* a difference I'm noticing. The blacks are deeper and the colors are more vivid. I calibrated the display recently and it was nice with the other cable, but something is up because I definitely notice a difference. Weird.

Going from PCs to TVs can have various issues, and it's not impossible that swapping around cables and devices is causing something to be detected differently. TVs sometimes use a compressed colour space compared to monitors, and there's a setting for that which could change.

Last edited:
Seems all my other settings are the same both on the TV and on PC. Maybe the old cable was only outputting 4:2:2 or something. My TV does say that the UHD Color is optimized for both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, so yeah, maybe something wasn't detected right until now. Good call. I'm not complaining. :p

Finally ended up getting the LG 34UM88C 34 inch Ultra-Wide 3440 x 1440.

Its too big for my desk but I love it! It has the height of 27 inch monitor with the width of an ultra wide.

It does not have g-sync but for my needs i think the ultra wide is better.

I paid £379 since its from amazon warehouse, apparently factory refurbished.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UM88C...UTF8&qid=1483975059&sr=1-6&keywords=UltraWide

Finally ended up getting the LG 34UM88C 34 inch Ultra-Wide 3440 x 1440.

Its too big for my desk but I love it! It has the height of 27 inch monitor with the width of an ultra wide.

It does not have g-sync but for my needs i think the ultra wide is better.

I paid £379 since its from amazon warehouse, apparently factory refurbished.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UM88C...UTF8&qid=1483975059&sr=1-6&keywords=UltraWide

Nice choice. I really enjoy my 29" LG. Any reason you decided not to go with the curved? For that size, and being that close, I think I would have grabbed the curved, but it's definitely a personal preference.

No g-sync, but you do have Freesync should you decide to buy an AMD card down the road.

Nice choice. I really enjoy my 29" LG. Any reason you decided not to go with the curved? For that size, and being that close, I think I would have grabbed the curved, but it's definitely a personal preference.

No g-sync, but you do have Freesync should you decide to buy an AMD card down the road.

I wanted a curved too but they seems to cost about £120 more just for being curved. My budget was £400 and even second hand curved were minimum £500+ :(

Back
Top Bottom