Grimoire Support Group

Deleted some posts. We have enough other threads to discuss the glory or the lack thereof of this game. No reason to use this thread for it as well.

This might be a good thread

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615849605441/

5 Step EZ Start Guide For Noobz

1. Start with a 7 character. You want at least 1 slot open to recruit Little Rosy.
2. Start in the Sanctuary and explore it fully. There's some really good items, maps, and a shrine that will give everyone in your party 1000 xp. At least a few of your chars should level off this.
3. Make your way through Crowl and go to Briarpatch Woods which is on the eastern side of Crowl. Crowl is still dangerous at this level so save and rest often.
4. When you enter Briarpatch Woods, Lil' Rosy will pop and talk to you. Recruit her. She's an OP murder hobo with crazy stats and skills that will wreck monsters for you.
5. Clear out Briarpatch Woods and the two low level dungeons in it (Shrine of the Raptor and Aquavia).

Your characters should now be around level 4 and you should have some decent equipment and spells.

Little Rosy is a Feyfolk Thaumaturge so if you don't want to double up on races or classes then don't make a Feyfolk or a Thaumaturge.

Detect Secret is an essential spell. Sages can start off with it but my Wizard was able to learn it around level 3 or so.

That's good advice for an easier start. My advice if you are going to do that is to increase difficulty a little bit. Or it can become too easy.

You can also drop your seventh and recruit Gorlo in Crowl. He is involved in some quests later on.

New stuff is being uncovered by the minute, such fun

mondblut said:
  • New spells unlock depending on level only. Magic skill value doesn't seem to matter.
  • Spell access is defined solely by class, not by skill they have. Rangers, metalsmiths, thaumaturges and thieves all have alchemy but different spell lists.

mondblut said:
  • WIZARD spell list is accessible to BARDs starting with level 3.
  • CLERIC spell list is accessible to TEMPLARS and BARDS (Jesus…) starting with level 3. Yes, starting with level 3 your bard can replace both your cleric and wizard, lagging 2 levels behind, give or take 1 for occasional exception spell. When she's not spamming a lyre. :roll:
  • THAUMATURGE spell list is accessible to RANGERS starting with level 4 and THIEVES starting with level 6. No bards this time, thank god.
  • SAGE spell list is accessible to METALSMITHS starting with level 6. Kinda too late to be useful.
  • NECROMANCER spell list is mostly unique (I'd suspect assassins access it, but since you can't have them out of the box, the point is moot)

So, how's the distribution of content here?

As in, how much of the game is combat, meaningful exploration, NPC interaction, secrets/puzzles and so on?

I might be interested if there's enough non-combat activities.

How about loot? Unique items and stuff?

Wow at least someone was willing to look past non-issues. Never though I'd see you here but am strangely glad.

So, how's the distribution of content here?

It's nothing like Wizardry 8. Wandering monsters are turned off by default and there are no respawns. Typically you explore exteriors, discover events, dungeons or towns, do combat, solve quests. Recruit NPCs. It seems to be pretty uniform as far as I can tell but feel free to play around with different starting points.

As in, how much of the game is combat, meaningful exploration, NPC interaction, secrets/puzzles and so on?

I don't know what you mean by meaningful exploration. I found all of it meaningful. It is a hand-crafted game with manually placed statics.

secrets/puzzles

Of course there are secrets and puzzles. There are hidden buttons such as those in Eye of the Beholder or Grimrock. Fake walls. Riddle doors. Optional and non-optional.

I might be interested if there's enough non-combat activities.

I see no reason why anyone should not be interested. Especially RPG players and fans of blobbers. I think if you loved Wizardry 6-7, this is the rightful successor everyone wanted but didn't get with Wizardry 8.

How about loot? Unique items and stuff?

So far I've found mundane items, consumables, weapons and armor, keys, scrolls, spellbooks, quest items, castable items. Many of them have mysterious properties or purposes uncovered much later in the game so hold onto anything which looks suspicious or has a unique appearance or name.

Do you need to have a spare character slot to recruit an NPC or can you sack one of your existing party?
What do the recruitable NPCs add to the mix that you can't get through a pre-generated character? Just better stats?

Do you need to have a spare character slot to recruit an NPC or can you sack one of your existing party?

Both are doable. In my last go I started with six characters instead of eight and recruited Little Rosy and Gorlo. But you can dismiss any character at any time. They will be waiting for you at the owl shrine unless Cleve changed that.

What do the recruitable NPCs add to the mix that you can't get through a pre-generated character? Just better stats?

Mostly they add story. They relate to certain quests very well i.e. Rosy's sister.

Ah ok thanks. In that case I'll want them! :)

The loot you get from golden chests is different every time. It seems to be rolled via pattern which includes a little bit of everything. A few weapons, armor, a scroll or two, maybe a spell book, some potions, herbs etc. Other than that, it's mostly statics so far. Right now it's hard for anyone to give you any definitive conclusions seeing how humongous the game is.

Honestly, just download the 2013 superdemo and see whether you like it or not. It's very representative of the full game, the obvious difference being that you are limited to just one region and one starting point.

I don't recall any starting area option?

I think my tip for noobz would be change the movement and turning animations to instant. It's more responsive and less confusing. Seriously bad 3d engine, if you could even call it that. :)

edit: Might start over again lol. I started swearing at her and now shes gone.

What do you say to recruit rosie? I've tried join, recruit, draft, enlist, she just says "are you trying to recruit for vanguard?"

As for the stats, your guess is as good as mine. I've hardly got anywhere, mostly was just working out my party but I'm still not sure if its optimal.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is fairly decent. I can't see myself spending 30 bucks but I'll eventually play it.

Years ago I wrote a simple walkthrough for the first part of the game (superdemo); I probably still have it archived somewhere if people want me to post it. It does have some spoilers in it.

I'd give it a look for sure, Corwin. :)

What would your hints/tips be for new players?

Do you know why Rosy wouldn't join me?

What do you say to recruit rosie? I've tried join, recruit, draft, enlist, she just says "are you trying to recruit for vanguard?"

You don't say anything. Select RECRUIT in the context menu. Bribe if needed.

The loot you get from golden chests is different every time. It seems to be rolled via pattern which includes a little bit of everything. A few weapons, armor, a scroll or two, maybe a spell book, some potions, herbs etc. Other than that, it's mostly statics so far. Right now it's hard for anyone to give you any definitive conclusions seeing how humongous the game is.

Honestly, just download the 2013 superdemo and see whether you like it or not. It's very representative of the full game, the obvious difference being that you are limited to just one region and one starting point.

I got the full version from that source :)

But there's nothing about it - so far - that would inspire me to get the answers through actually playing it.

Which is why I'd love to know more about it, before investing significant time.

One issue is that I tend to spend a lot of time creating my party in a game like this - but if it turns out most of the loot is random - then that's a big minus.

It has already displayed signs of awful game design - like the stat roll being random at creation.

If it's also random at level-up - that's even worse.

Yeah, it's random at level up.

I don't see why you only get 3 rerolls in creation then you have to exit and click a few more times. Annoyances are poor incentives.

It's clear he hasn't been playing many games. For eg, I can't imagine anyone playing Legend of Grimrock 2 then not copying the auto-pickup of weapons you throw. Seems like thrown weapons vanish altogether :(

Another thing that annoys me is how it rolls for a random encounter when you turn 90 degrees. I feel like it should only do that when you move to a new tile.

Also, I can't seem to find info about items I discover. Like their damage or how many hands they require or what skill they relate to. Does my new Truncheon do more damage than my club? The only place I know to look is in Review while I'm already in combat.

Seems like there's plenty of content and depth and the graphics are pretty good, but it's a lot of effort to play and things like random loot rolled on mouse press and random levelup points encourage save scumming which I can't be fucked with.

For my party I put all my spare points into hitpoints for everyone and got them all up over 25hp. You can actually roll characters that start with 1 hitpoint!

I like rolling characters with a random element. I guess that's my P&P background coming out.. It makes item hunting more interesting, eg when one of your characters that rolled a poor score finds an item that counters it. For example, in D&D the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength can be a godsend for fighters that rolled less than 18 strength, but if you can just select 18 at character creation you don't need it as much (except for non-fighters of course).
It's too early for me to say whether it is well handled in Grimoire (i haven't been able to play it since Saturday….) but random attribute rolls definitely don't concern me in principle.

Back
Top Bottom