Game where Arthurian knight meets Jack the Ripper playing "Holmes" with doggy Watson

Farflame

SasqWatch
Game where Arthurian knight meets Jack the Ripper playing "Holmes" with doggy Watson

Du Lac & Fey: Dance of Death - where Arthurian knight meets Jack the Ripper while playing "Sherlock Holmes" with the help of doggy "Watson" :)

Sorry for this crazy title, I think that gameplay wont be that crazy. Players take on the roles of immortal knight Sir Lancelot Du Lac and cursed sorceress Morgana Le Fey as their latest adventure brings them to Victorian London during the infamous Whitechapel Murders of 1888. They become embroiled in the gruesome mystery due to the occult nature of the killings, which leads them to Mary Kelly - a local with magical secret who could be the key to stopping the murders. The three join forces to explore the capital’s underbelly in an attempt to decipher clues, hunt down the Ripper and uncover the shocking truth behind the killer’s bloody rampage.

- play as 3 characters: Sir Lancelot Du Lac, Morgana Le Fey and Mary Kelly. You will be able to switch between them and experience a unique set of encounters as you move through the world.
- there will be crime scenes and places of interest for you to investigate. Each character has their own set of skills so you will be encouraged to switch back and forth in order to find clues.
- We are a character driven experience and interested in exploring the lives and relationships of our protagonists as well as the various people they meet along the way. You will be able to select dialogue options and even encourage or dissuade characters in their actions, impacting the resolution of their story.
- We’ve taken painstaking care to bring 19th century Whitechapel to life. With the help of world renowned Historian, Judith Flanders, we are ensuring our environments, characters’ fashions and their dialogue are as period accurate as possible.

Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2134345733/du-lac-and-fey-dance-of-death

Nice plasteline hair, but the problem is I don't like mandatory pets.
If devs say it's possible to finish the game without the pet, I'll jump in, otherwise sorry.

Most probably is.
Does that mean I have to like that? :)

Lemme be more clear, I think digital pets are a brilliant idea to make $ but almost every single time it's a horrible execution. One of my biggest mistakes in buying games was when I thought Sims 3 Pets expansion could be fun. Not only it sucked, it brought crapload of new bugs in the game.

Except FO1/2 dogmeat I have yet to see an ingame pet that I'd care about even a bit.
Do keep tamagotchi and furby away from me, I don't care for their "needs".

Most probably is.
Does that mean I have to like that? :)

You dont have to like that, just understand she is not a pet like in Sims. She is companion. She talks. She is involved in story. She can help player do some tasks. Normal things except she is talking dog. :)

Except FO1/2 dogmeat I have yet to see an ingame pet that I'd care about even a bit. Do keep tamagotchi and furby away from me, I don't care for their "needs".

I think there is at least one animal companion that you could like. You can just send him/her away to the other corner of the map and forget about him/her. Well… maybe that forgeting part is a little troublesome. Its actually more likely you will forget about the hero. :)

Are you suggesting Sims Pets aren't involved in your game experience but are just props or something?
They are involved!

In fact… Check this out:
https://kotaku.com/sims-players-new-pets-are-just-the-worst-1820397508
I want that last dog there in RL! Or perhaps… Not? :p
Luckily the game is not MMO otherwise it'd be trolls paradise.

As for ACO eagle you've probably missed I've completed the game (and am in the "club 99%" as noone knows what is needed for that 1% noone has).
The eagle is a slightly different version of WatchDogs2 drone and while it's fun, I didn't feel any attachment to it. It's Ubi's fail honestly. They didn't RPGize everything enough and that includes the eagle which is more of an "invincible" asset than a being you want (and need) to take care of.

I've completed the game (and am in the "club 99%" as noone knows what is needed for that 1% noone has).

Thats simple. You need to pre-order and buy loot boxes or season pass or whatever to have 100%. :)

The eagle is a slightly different version of WatchDogs2 drone and while it's fun, I didn't feel any attachment to it. It's Ubi's fail honestly.

Yes.

They didn't RPGize everything enough

So what is your opinion about the RPG system in ACO? Too simple or serviceable? Is the game different that much from previous titles as their PR campaign stated (its exaggerated as usual… or pure BS?).

----
Anyway it doesnt look good for Du Lac and Fey. They would need very strong finish.

Thats simple. You need to pre-order and buy loot boxes or season pass or whatever to have 100%. :)
No. :)

So what is your opinion about the RPG system in ACO? Too simple or serviceable? Is the game different that much from previous titles as their PR campaign stated (its exaggerated as usual… or pure BS?).
Never trust Ubi's PR, I mean that same PR is bullshitting PC audience with statements that their ACO code is optimized for 30 frames per second.

The RPG system is too simple because they just had to add bloody microtransactions of course.
I've posted it in finished thread, while weapons and shields do have different stats and effects, all mounts and outfits are just cosmetics and bring nothing to the game (no faster riding or better resistances or something).

Also posted before, lack of c&c was expected as in AC games you're playing through someone's memory where it'd be illogical you can do things differently and get variety of outcomes.
However, there is a new modernday "heroine" to play in ACO and they could do that at least in her part. They did not, for whatever reason. Sequences with the new "female Desmond" are supershort and ignorable.

Finally, the game allows you to unlock all possible skills during one playthrough. Sure, you'll have to complete both main and sidequests for that (and buy plenty of stones past main story), but still. There is no need for thinking about some kind of specialization which is a shame.

It's not an RPG - so don't expect an RPG :)

It's just a way to keep progression going and having things to look forward to.

Playing an AC game expecting a genuine or traditional RPG would be a big mistake.

That said, I'd say ACO is as much an RPG as Witcher 3 - apart from the lack of C&C (which is probably a big difference for most people). W3 writing is better, definitely, but ACO has superior action/RPG gameplay. Visually, it's sort of a toss-up - though W3 wins because of things like Hairworks and a more varied setting.

Also, so far, I think exploration is more interesting and rewarding in ACO than W3.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want from your RPG - but I don't consider the systems in ACO terribly interesting or engaging. But they work well as progression and carrot-dangling.

There's nothing in W3 as satisfying as the "Enhanced Predator Bow" ability :)

(which is probably a big difference for most people).
Not in my case, I've explained why the linearity is expected in AC game.

The biggest differences in my case are:
- you can master every skill in ACO, unlike TW3
- visuals in ACO are beautiful, but a class lower than everything TW3 provided
- ACO has a horrible CPU hammering code, TW3 optimization is top notch

There are more differences, but I can't call those others as biggest.
In any case, putting TW3 with ACO in the same box would be ridiculous. Totally different games.

They seem very similar apart from the setting to me.

Then again, I don't put W3 on some kind of pedestal where no other games could ever approach it because they're not identical and made by CDPR ;)

Yes, because everyone who enjoyed something more than you did must be putting it on a pedestal. :)

How customizable is the UI in ACO? From what I've seen, it looks just as gamey as all the past AC titles with lots of little icons popping up all over the screen and the compass pointing out exactly where everything is. Can that all be turned off, and is it still playable without those elements?

Yes, because everyone who enjoyed something more than you did must be putting it on a pedestal. :)

Not everyone, just the unreasonable ones who can't see how similar these games are :)

How customizable is the UI in ACO? From what I've seen, it looks just as gamey as all the past AC titles with lots of little icons popping up all over the screen and the compass pointing out exactly where everything is. Can that all be turned off, and is it still playable without those elements?

There's a setting for the UI that includes around 3-4 different options. I chose "light" - which is a mixture of things and works fine.

Since all relevant compass information is available on the map - and you can create your own "hotspots" - I think it would be fine without most of the UI.

Not that I have a problem with helpful information, myself.

It's much less obtrusive on the default settings than W3 and Skyrim are on default settings.

Well I find the default settings pretty bad in most games. One of the things I liked so much about TW3 was how you could pick and choose what you wanted on the HUD.

AC Black Flag was the same way though iirc, but in the end it was still too gamey for me with all the item collecting games and rooftop races. Does ACO have less of that stuff?

How often do you get pulled into the modern day Animus crap?

Well I find the default settings pretty bad in most games. One of the things I liked so much about TW3 was how you could pick and choose what you wanted on the HUD.

AC Black Flag was the same way though iirc, but in the end it was still too gamey for me with all the item collecting games and rooftop races. Does ACO have less of that stuff?

How often do you get pulled into the modern day Animus crap?

I honestly don't remember Black Flag in that way. I'm usually not as annoyed by these things as you are, so maybe 5 minutes on Youtube is a better way of determining if it's for you.

I'm not aware of any "item collecting games" - and, so far, the activities are entirely optional. But that's always been the case in AC games, AFAIK.

It's almost exactly like W3 in this way. Same approach with question marks on the map that you can just go ahead and ignore, if you don't want to spend time doing that sort of thing. That said, most of the marks are exploration oriented - which I tend to enjoy. Also, unlike W3 - it's quite rewarding in terms of loot and XP.

Yes, like all AC games - the Animus is part of the core experience. Very limited part, so far - but then again, I usually skip everything and go right back into the Animus. In 15 hours of play - I think I've spent no more than 10 minutes outside the main game.

I try not to judge games from a few minutes of Youtube footage. I think maybe you're confusing me with someone else. ;)

I found Black Flag very gamey in that way, but to each his own. ACO does look significantly better though and that's why I was asking about it.

It's encouraging to hear that the Animus story plays so little part in this one. I might check it out after I play Wolfenstein.

I try not to judge games from a few minutes of Youtube footage. I think maybe you're confusing me with someone else. ;)

We were talking about UI - which even you should be able to grasp based on a few videos ;)

j/k

I found Black Flag very gamey in that way, but to each his own. ACO does look significantly better though and that's why I was asking about it.

I liked Black Flag well enough, but I got sick to death of the "follow the dude" missions they constantly threw at you.

So far, ACO has been much more open about how you go about solving your missions. Then again, it's a big game and I'm not that far into it.

Also, most missions have been pretty straightforward and the game generally doesn't seem to have a lot of "gamey" missions that you have to play in a very specific way.

We were talking about UI - which even you should be able to grasp based on a few videos ;)

j/k.

I thought maybe you would have understood that I already did that after I specifically mentioned the icons and compass. ;)

Based on your description though, it sounds like something that needs to be played to have a decent grasp of it.

Don't expect miracles - but it's certainly the best AC I've played, so far. That's not saying all that much.

Also, just to reiterate - the writing is NOT up to W3 standards at all. It's decent for what it is - and it gets the story going, but W3 was fantastic in that way.

I don't have high expectations for the writing in a Ubisoft game so I doubt I'd be too disappointed. What interests me mostly is how improved the combat and exploration appear to be over past AC titles.

Now if only someone could mod out the whole Animus thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom