Morrowind - Steam Sale

I would stay away from this. I think the fog and limited view gives the game part of its atmosphere. Not that you want to see fog five feet in front of you but you can use Morrowind FPS Optimizer instead to set the view distance far but not maxed.

I think the fog in the distance AND the actual built-in limit put on the view distance is there for a reason: the slow movement speed in Morrowind make the island seem large but with the Graphics Extender you can actually see all the way across the world and it just makes it seem much, MUCH smaller and all the towns too close together. It's jarring. I took it off immediately.

Um, you have an option to use it or not, the best part of that extender is the ability to use any resolution that your card can support...looks much better...

Yes, the distant land rendering can be too much but you can still increase the view distance about 50% without it; a good compromise IMHO. MGE also gives you additional widescreen resolution options.

You can adjust the fog distance with distant view on to limit the distant view. The best part about MGE is the different shaders you can use to make the game look better. There are shaders to add Bloom, HDR, DOF, Water shaders, and other effects. Also there are mods that rely on MGE like the "Fade to Black" plugin which uses a shader to simulate tunnel vision as you lose hp and then your vision goes black as you die.

I'm not sure I am running it on a qosimio laptop and it runs fine(the laptop is pretty high end though)

Guess I'll try MGE again then. I think I tried an early build, maybe they've added more features since or I didn't play around with it enough.

My machine is pretty old though, not sure how well the game will run with extras like shaders, bloom and other effects.

It actually runs Oblivion fine but Morrowind's framerate still dips when I go into Balmora, lol. With the other program I use I can adjust the view distance on the fly with the mouse wheel which really helps.

It actually runs Oblivion fine but Morrowind's framerate still dips when I go into Balmora, lol. With the other program I use I can adjust the view distance on the fly with the mouse wheel which really helps.

I think I know the program you're talking about. It was called 'Morrowind FPS' something or other….

*Edit* The 'Morrowind FPS Optimizer'?

Last edited:
I think I know the program you're talking about. It was called 'Morrowind FPS' something or other….

*Edit* The 'Morrowind FPS Optimizer'?

Yeah, that's it.

I preferred it because it was so simple to use and just wanted to expand the view distance a bit more but not render the other side of the island, heh. And being able to change on the fly.

MGE can be that as well. Distant rendering is only an option. The main idea of MGE is that it allows the Morrowind engine to use DX9 calls for rendering by redirecting it to a custom .dll.

Back
Top Bottom