RPGWatch - The End has been Delayed

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The 'End is Nigh' announcement for RPGWatch turned out to be somewhat premature. It was the plan when I posted it two weeks ago, but in the meantime I had several discussions with a third party and the RPGWatch team on the future of RPGWatch.

It has been decided that in July, RPGWatch will move to Sorcerer's Place. This means that the site as you know it, will still be available after July, but hosted by Sorcerer's Place and it's owner, Taluntain, will become the new owner of RPGWatch.

Most of the RPGWatch team will remain, but I will no longer be a part of that team and have no involvement in the operational side of RPGWatch. In case you are wondering, there has been no exchange of money to make this happen. This only happens, because I learned how much RPGWatch will be missed and after discussion with the team, this was deemed the most viable option for you to still be able to visit RPGWatch with its current functionality.

There will be some changes, like ads being introduced again to pay for the servers (which you can donate money for to not see them). And there will be a move to Xenforo for our forums. I will work with Taluntain to get this done before the end of July, or shortly after that.
Whatever happens after that to RPGWatch is to be decided by the new owner, together with the RPGWatch team.

This means that for the foreseeable future the RPGWatch team will still be able to provide you with the latest RPG news.
If you have any interest in helping the RPGWatch team in this new chapter, as news poster or moderator, there are opportunities to do so.

I hope this is good news!

More information.

Good news and what I hoped would happen. Thanks for all your hard work Myrthos over the years. Might try for a news-poster position again or keep posting in my thread.

The Watch has survived the onslaught of the forces of chaos. Everyone gains a level. Great news.

The end was nigh, now it is…just an end. Good news! Thanks for your efforts Team, and happy to see Couch wants to keep on posting too. As I said somewhere, I can (but don't have to) give a hand as a moderator if longer breaks due to life offline are allowed.

Last edited:
@Redglyph; guess your posts in the other thread probably helped as well about Xenforo. Will you be joining the team as well again? You were news-poster before.:lol:

On a plus side the quoting problem might finally get fixed, and we can embed tweets.

Great news, thanks Myrthos.

@Redglyph; guess your posts in the other thread probably helped as well about Xenforo. Will you be joining the team as well again? You were news-poster before.:lol:
Myrthos' plan had been to upgrade to XenForo for a long time - based on his posts over the years. Plus, most of the other sites hosted at SP use XenForo (SP itself, RPG Codex, Circle of Eight, Terra Arcanum) so I'd think Taluntain has plenty of experience managing it. Seems like a natural fit.

The 'End is Nigh' announcement for RPGWatch turned out to be somewhat premature. It was the plan when I posted it two weeks ago, but in the meantime I had several discussions with a third party and the RPGWatch team on the future of RPGWatch.

Thanks for all your efforts so that the Watch continues to live!

I hope we'll see you there, now and then. :)

If you need help with scripting, testing or whatever for the move to the new place, don't hesitate to ask.

On a plus side the quoting problem might finally get fixed, and we can embed tweets.

Nothing to do with me, XenForo was Myrthos' idea from the start, he had already seen it as a potential replacement of vBulletin since he found that the new version wasn't that great.

About the news, I said I would do it (at least for a while) if that helps and if people are not bored to death with my weird selection of games ;)

What about you though?

Great news, thanks Myrthos.

Myrthos' plan had been to upgrade to XenForo for a long time - going off his posts over the years. Plus, most of the other sites hosted at SP use XenForo (SP itself, RPG Codex, Circle of Eight, Terra Arcanum) so I'd think Taluntain has plenty of experience managing it. Seems like a natural fit.
Ah thanks I was just basing that off the other thread. Still a much needed upgrade.:nod:
Nothing to do with me, XenForo was Myrthos' idea from the start, he had already seen it as a potential replacement of vBulletin since he found that the new version wasn't that great.

About the news, I said I would do it (at least for a while) if that helps and if people are not bored to death with my weird selection of games ;)

What about you though?
Like I wrote above if it's fine with the new team and new site owner Taluntain I'd love to be news-poster again. Might try doing interviews once again as well.

Helps that we have more then one main news-poster as was well.

Helps that we have more then one main news-poster as was well.

Yes, XF2 is a good platform, and it shouldn't look or feel much different so people won't feel lost.

I wonder how they'll do with the custom part, database and articles. Wait and see, that'll be the surprise in July.

EDIT: Oh, I see it now about the newsposter, I missed the last bit in your first post.

Btw, will we get to keep our current layout or be moved to that quite ugly dark background SP and Codex has? While I write code and text using dark background, I find it difficult to read webpages with it. I think it has something to do with all those extra elements that are absent from text editors.

Might hop on over to the codex to post as we will be neighbors soon.:lol:

Lets go spread our cooties as they say.

Btw, will we get to keep our current layout or be moved to that quite ugly dark background SP and Codex has? While I write code and text using dark background, I find it difficult to read webpages with it. I think it has something to do with all those extra elements that are absent from text editors.
The Codex won't even have its current layout for much longer, although I imagine the color scheme (which I think is great personally) will stay largely the same. They are moving to XenForo 2, and just recently put up a preview page of the work-in-progress: http://www.rpgcodex.net/xf2. Kinda ugly so far.

RPGWatch will go straight to XF2, I guess?

Yes, XF2 is a good platform, and it shouldn't look or feel much different so people won't feel lost.

I wonder how they'll do with the custom part, database and articles. Wait and see, that'll be the surprise in July.

EDIT: Oh, I see it now about the newsposter, I missed the last bit in your first post.
The new site should be hosted on a new server as well based on what information is known. Should be easy to port over the database or start a new one with Xenforo.

Last edited:
aliens-guy.jpeg

Panic over. As you were, everyone. :p

Good news indeed, @Myrthos; - a big Thank You for making such a migration possible.

A lot of RPG information and maybe a community would otherwise be lost.

The new site should be hosted on a new server as well based on what information is known. Should be easy to port over the database or start a new one with Xenforo.

If you read our insane discussions in the other thread, you'll see it's not so easy. :D The current code is custom and the idea was to avoid that in the future, because it has to be maintained by someone. A mix of existing solutions would be preferable.

Back
Top Bottom