Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Pricing and Release Dates

It is basically a port of BG1+expansion to the BG2 engine. Which, I might add, has been done years ago with free mods.

Do you know where ic an find some of those mods? I'm ready to dust off my BG games again and play thru them all.

Based on the screenshots, this looks pretty crappy. Either they applied some weird filter - or they lazily scaled everything (which is what it really looks like). They added a small adventure and 3 NPCs? They charge 20$ for THAT?

Those 400 improvements better be significant, or this is just a really cheap cash grab. Not that I expected otherwise, but you never know.

I'm guessing the full price on PC is because the modding community could easily rip the DLC content out of the iPad version and give it away on the PC.

Also charging more money might make them more money. However, doubt they'll have as many takers on PC as iPad however - maybe in a year or two (see the thread on discounts and steam).

BG1 is dated and grainy. I didn't like it at first and only paid attention after playing Icewind Dale and my best friend was really into BG1. BG2 was great! but replay was hurt by always having to go through that opening.

What folks are saying about additional content is spot on. What differentiates a cRPG from any other game is depth of content; not mechanics. However, this content must be built on top of the mechanics so its extra work, and extra cost, but provides depth over mindless twitching.

For folks who never played it due to mod issues, why not play it without the mods?

You guys can complain all you want. I'm looking forward to using the game to get a couple of friends into the multi-player who completely missed it the first time around.

The developers are relying on you for blind support, so they can keep grabbing cash.

Go consumers!

Paying $ 10 for a re-release of a game with a couple of extra small things added seems a good price compared to paying $ 10 for a 30 minutes DLC of an AAA title, but sure as hell seems extremely expensive compared to buying an indie game for the same $10 that sport a whole new game (and some are awesome like SPAZ).

All in perspective i guess…

I'm guessing the full price on PC is because the modding community could easily rip the DLC content out of the iPad version and give it away on the PC.

Huh? I've never seen a mod for any game do something even remotely like that, unless the DLC was utterly stupid to begin with such as Horse Armor. In fact, most mod sites would remove a mod, that tries to steal official content in 3 seconds.

I'm guessing the full price on PC is because the modding community could easily rip the DLC content out of the iPad version

There's no serious modding community that would allow illegal distribution of DLC's, you'd have to resort to torrent sites, and people who do that probably download the whole game not just the DLC ;)

ipad version doesnt contain the extra material you'll have to buy those as DLC's, that's why it's cheaper..

The developers are relying on you for blind support, so they can keep grabbing cash.

Go consumers!

If it helps them to make more games like this, I'm all for it.

Huh? I've never seen a mod for any game do something even remotely like that, unless the DLC was utterly stupid to begin with such as Horse Armor. In fact, most mod sites would remove a mod, that tries to steal official content in 3 seconds.

which is why they wouldn't bother posting it on a site. They'd torrent it.

25% of distribution of the Indie Bundle (pay what you want, even 1c) has been cited to be pirated. there is a significant amount of gamers out there with a sense of entitlement.

otherwise, why not have tiered pricing on BG:EE for PC as well? this is a long established sales technique. By the number of people bashing the $20 price point it would clearly be better if they broke it up from a PR perspective.

their only other solution to prevent this would be to lock out the moddability of the game, the same modding community that created their own full size expansions, inspired Bioware to make their own, and inspired them to make NWN where that was the main focus.

If I had never played BG1 and had an iPad I would def pick this up - as a long time dyed in the wool PC user, who recently replayed BG1+BG2 (on BG2 engine, all modded and bought from GOG originally for a song - wasn't hard to set up) I see no reason to buy this (sadly). I now see that the fixes/remastering I would want are beyond what they would ever do, but such is life.

DArtagnan said:
Those 400 improvements better be significant, or this is just a really cheap cash grab. Not that I expected otherwise, but you never know.

The 400 "improvements" are just bugfixes:

Beamdog said:
Over 400 issues from the original game have been found and fixed.

Don't get too excited. I reckon most of these are just incorporations of Baldurdash, Dudleyfix etc into the game.

EDIT: Found this link on the Beamdog forum: http://www.shacknews.com/article/74953/new-character-mission-and-area-revealed-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced

Some interesting info about one of the new areas (the Cloud Peaks, apparently adds about 4 hours of gameplay) and a bit more about the Black Pits.

Some interesting info about one of the new areas (the Cloud Peaks, apparently adds about 4 hours of gameplay) and a bit more about the Black Pits.

The official website says ~4 hours of content for each new companions and 6 for Black Pits. That's 18 hours of new content.

Actually there is already "BiG World Project" version of Baldur's Gate so not sure tbh if this Enhanced Edition makes any sense. Don't know with 100% certitude how these two versions fare against each other but from what I remember, Big World version had some considerable modifications.

If it helps them to make more games like this, I'm all for it.

I'm totally with the ninja here. It looks promising, and I'm perfectly willing to pay for it. If it turns out to be not that great after all, it's no big deal, I know what I'm doing. Heck, it's only 18$, less than I would pay for a latte and a double sandwich.

pibbur

Last edited:
Edgarstrong said:
Actually there is already "BiG World Project" version of Baldur's Gate so not sure tbh if this Enhanced Edition makes any sense.

The Big World Project is just loads of (often crappy, occasionally good) mods glued together. It adds a huge amount of content if you install the lot, but unless you have a high tolerance for crap writing, hacked area graphics (usually stolen from Icewind Dale) and unbalanced enemies and weapons, you are better off sticking with a much smaller group of high quality mods (Sword Coast Strategems, Unfinished Business, Ascension, Quest Pack etc).

Besides, there are certain hardcoded features/bugs in the BG games that cannot be altered by modders, even with TobEx. That is one of the things that the EE will ideally improve. I am hopeful that some of the better/more popular mods such as those I've listed will be updated to become compatible with the new version of the game.

Actually there is already "BiG World Project" version of Baldur's Gate so not sure tbh if this Enhanced Edition makes any sense. Don't know with 100% certitude how these two versions fare against each other but from what I remember, Big World version had some considerable modifications.

The problem with BiG World is that like all other mods, it takes a level of computer savy to get it to work, plus there are a bunch of different options, and then of course you have to make sure that any other mods you are interested in are compatible and they are installed in the right order....

I've played dozens of different mods for BG/BG2. I respect the work that goes into them and I've enjoyed them, but by their nature, they aren't for the average PC gamer. BG EE looks like it takes a lot of the best ideas of mods and makes it accessible to any gamer. If nothing else THAT is why it makes sense.

The new content seems really unnecessary (and apparently doubles the price of the PC version; why isn´t there a stripped down, cheaper, version for the PC too?)

Because $18 is so expensive? And how does it double the price of the PC version? Was it announced at a cheaper price previously?

and my "edition" of the game with widescreen mod looks vastly superior to the blurfest they´re showing on the screenshots.

I hope those screens you posted in your next post wasn't an attempt to prove that. ;)

I'm utterly at a loss for words if you truly think the backgrounds look better than the original game.

Good.. then hopefully that will be your last post. :)

Back
Top Bottom