Risen - Review @ PCGZine

Shit, polish release date has been moved to 16th October x_x

and Microsoft refuses to implement DX10 into Windows XP. In Germany we call this "Eigentor" :)

Microsux might have refused, but the coding community has implemented DX10 for XP. Works fine for me.

hahaha and people still no learn, lot of new video cards that cost 400-600$ out there when you can buy a console at 200-300$, i mean a COMPLETE system that even can work as a Blueray player or HD player.

All directx 10 Games support directx 9, soo directx 11 for what? new video cards with double of power for what? GT300 comming and ATI5xxx serie out for what?.

The only aplication i see for those video cards are for pyrit :D

If there is no new console in next years we will be seeing more Directx 9 games for long time.

Thankz microsoft for the Xbox :D

You mean 'a complete system' that can not do anything else then games or playing a DVD/BR? I like to do something else with a pc too, but if that's enough for you ...

The reason why you should upgrade a vid card is because a 5y old one is just to outdated. The same goes for consoles -> PS2 is outdated when it got to the 5y limit as was the xbox too.

hahaha and people still no learn, lot of new video cards that cost 400-600$ out there when you can buy a console at 200-300$, i mean a COMPLETE system that even can work as a Blueray player or HD player.

All directx 10 Games support directx 9, soo directx 11 for what? new video cards with double of power for what? GT300 comming and ATI5xxx serie out for what?.

The only aplication i see for those video cards are for pyrit :D

If there is no new console in next years we will be seeing more Directx 9 games for long time.

Thankz microsoft for the Xbox :D

If I really need a new gpu now then dx11 card might be a good option. Othervice I dont see much reason for it. Theres practically no directx11 games this fall even - dirt2 and battleforge are all iirc. Better just sit and wait.

I know only one person who is planning to get dx11 card. Rest are not even thinking of getting new cards but have moved on to become console-players long time ago.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to this too ( i read that it will be released in 2nd of October , we have elections on 4th so it will be the perfect distraction).
I am a bit concerned on the battle system since i didn't like Gothic's approach and i have not seen any action video from Risen .

Review up on Gamer.no (Norwegian site):
http://gamer.no/article.php?articleId=22472

Conclusion: One of the best RPGs of all times.
Summary: It's like the original Gothics, but better in almost every way. Far more polished.

My own expectations just went through the roof, since this site is usually trustworthy. The reviewer loves G1 and 2.

Can't wait to get it.

Maylander, that's just evil from their side raising our expectations so high! 4 days...

The part that really stood out for me was combat/challenge. Combat, especially melee, is supposedly very challenging, a "dance of blades" with the enemy whos AI is actually very good.

I'm expecting a long weekend of non-stop Risen.

When do you guys play the game btw? Weekends? Every evening a couple of hours?
I don't play games enough. There is too much work then something to eat and after that there are only 1 - 3 hours left. So if I do play games its mostly in the weekends. and an hour here and there. Probably that's also the reason why I almost never finish games.

I don't play games enough. There is too much work then something to eat and after that there are only 1 - 3 hours left. So if I do play games its mostly in the weekends. and an hour here and there. Probably that's also the reason why I almost never finish games.

OMG you're in hell!

Accident? Mur… married? To somebody from Politics & Religion?!

;)

The Norwegian site gamer.no calls it "one of the best RPGs of all time" and then awards it "only" 9/10. ;) http://www.gamer.no/article.php?articleId=22472

The best quote (my translation): "There are only minor changes from previous role playing games from Piranha Bytes, except for one thing. Risen is better. Much better."

I'd like to know, but my Nordisk is lousy: what's their reason it isn't flawless? (10/10)

The review says that the game is not innovative in any way, it's "only" better than its predecessors. It also says that the story is not that great (a traditional fantasy story without any deeper meaning, albeit avoiding the good vs evil clichés).

Personally I'd say that a game that is better than Gothic II should be a 10/10. :)

the game is not innovative in any way
What game is if considering last 5 years? None. They just didn't copy-paste "OUR GAME IZZ TEHH INNOVATIVEEE!!!!oneoneoen" everywhere so reviewers don't see anything like that. FO3/Oblivion are different - innovative as hell because of advertising campaign.

Last game I can consider as innovative is… hmm… well, Bloodlines from 2004 I think.

I expect Risen to be just "old Gothic" and that's all I expect. If the game is much better than NotR (is it possible?) then it might be one of my favourite (if not favourite) games. I don't say I'd give it 9/10 or 10/10 because 'points' are not the best way to express your opinion ;)

The reviews so far has been better than Gothic 2 (which got like 8.1 - 8.2 on gamespot/IGN and most other sites) - which is really good news considering how great Gothic2 was :)

@Soulman
That's the exact same review I posted a link to 4 posts ahead of yours. Also, it's the same thing we were already talking about. :)

@Konjad
Yes, but the original Gothic was very innovative when it was released back in 2001. Almost everything in the review is compared to Gothic 1/2.

Play has this in stock so i ordered it, hope i have it until the end of the week... when is the official release date?? I'm really hyped!!

Back
Top Bottom