Last game you finished, tell us about it

- Banner Saga is about 10 hours, if you like it and play the second one you woudl end up with around 25 hours.
- Invisible Inc is not really an RPG, but I recommend it anyway as a fun short game. One playthrough is around 8 hours, but the goal is to play through a couple of times at incrementally higher difficulties with different characters.
- Shadowrun is quite short, probably around 15-20 hours
- Legends of Eisenwald is probably around 25-35 hours.
- Dishonoured is around 20 hours.

I can recommend Invisible Inc and Legends of Eisenwald as well. Though, if you like your games challenging then you won't finish Eisenwald in 35 hours. I spent over 80 hours on that beast without expansion. Great game though.

I think Witcher 3 was outstanding in many respects, but lacking in others. The core gameplay I thought was uninspiring, and their solution to filling a huge world with content (and the way it was discovered) could have been better.

I've mentioned before that my solution to large open worlds is not to overfill them and try to balance things around a surfeit of content. I'd have the landscape there for the sake of immersion, and, in gameplay terms, as an arena for hunting, gathering, and hiding occasional secrets. Within that, I'd embed a more focused and structured campaign.

Last edited:
ummm, love Shadowrun but I got 49 hours in the first game so those sequels are out for now
and I got 73 hours into Dishonored 1, I had a lotta fun with that game, not a quickie.

Legend of E is out, I can tell that too is not a quickie

Bannner Saga and Invisible Inc are both in inventory. Hmmm
Halfway also looked good but I would have to buy that one-on the wishlist for now
I got some pondering to do . . . .

I can recommend Invisible Inc and Legends of Eisenwald as well. Though, if you like your games challenging then you won't finish Eisenwald in 35 hours. I spent over 80 hours on that beast without expansion. Great game though.

LoE is fun but got repetitive after the first 20 hours to me. So I didn't finish.
According to https://howlongtobeat.com/ it is 32 hours for the main story. Maybe longer if you play on higher difficulties, but I doubt it would have 80 hours of content for me.

ummm, love Shadowrun but I got 49 hours in the first game so those sequels are out for now
and I got 73 hours into Dishonored 1, I had a lotta fun with that game, not a quickie.

Legend of E is out, I can tell that too is not a quickie

Bannner Saga and Invisible Inc are both in inventory. Hmmm
Halfway also looked good but I would have to buy that one-on the wishlist for now
I got some pondering to do . . . .

You got 70 hours out of Dishonored ??? That's one playthrough ???

You got 70 hours out of Dishonored ??? That's one playthrough ???

Yep, I do a lot of exploring in those type of games. I love searching the heights to see where I can gain tactical advantage. Its just me running around the game world and checking things out. I seldom replay games (Gothic excepted) so my playthrough time is usually twice the norm.

Yep, I do a lot of exploring in those type of games. I love searching the heights to see where I can gain tactical advantage. Its just me running around the game world and checking things out. I seldom replay games (Gothic excepted) so my playthrough time is usually twice the norm.

The quickest RPG I've played recently would probably be Paper Sorcerer. I would doubt it's double figures. Another really short one I haven't played, but heard about, is Driftmoon. The former is purely a gameplay game with barely any plot/story where as the latter is almost pure plot/story with some token gameplay. Depending on what you fancy.

Another short one, just outside of RPG, but in the same arena, is the Choose Your Own Adventure Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I'd also possibly recomend Age of Decadence here as well but it's so detailed that you could double your playtime on perfecting and reloading.

I think Witcher 3 was outstanding in many respects, but lacking in others. The core gameplay I thought was uninspiring, and their solution to filling a huge world with content (and the way it was discovered) could have been better.

I've mentioned before that my solution to large open worlds is not to overfill them and try to balance things around a surfeit of content. I'd have the landscape there for the sake of immersion, and, in gameplay terms, as an arena for hunting, gathering, and hiding occasional secrets. Within that, I'd embed a more focussed and structured campaign.
Isn't that exactly what they did (and what makes up any open world game)? Main story + filler content scattered around? With contracts and secondary quests as an in between. Or you mean you want less content?

Isn't that exactly what they did (and what makes up any open world game)? Main story + filler content scattered around? With contracts and secondary quests as an in between. Or you mean you want less content?

No, not less content, necessarily. What I would like to get away from is the imperative to fill a large open world landscape with content, in a rather forced and artificial way that tends to create filler, balance issues, and devalued exploration.

I would prefer more content in the form of focused campaigns, which take place in a large natural environment - that space being there for the sake of immersion, and limited gameplay value, but not the whole game designed around the wilderness revealing content every few yards by some contrived means.

Last edited:
@Korandor

Yep, just went along and defend settlement quest autocompleted. Checked out settlement later and it was fine and nothing was damaged or killed. Only 2 settlers but about 6 laser turrets. :) Not sure all my other settlements would fair that well.

Last game I completed was Starpoint Gemini 2, and I was underwhelmed. Some of the GUI features were slick, and I will remember them. The game has multiple travel methods (wormholes, jump networks, rifts, a boost mode that speeds you up a bit to escape enemies), which is pretty cool.

Overall, however, the game was too slick, and felt kind of soulless. The story is forgettable. The scale of the planetary system is *very* unrealistic. Combat was super easy because ship weapons are usually controlled by AI.

I would rate the game 7/10.

I also played around a little bit with Rebel Galaxy. The voice acting appears to be improved, and the game maybe has more "character" or "soul" due to the Space Western setting. But I can't really say much else about it.

Just finished xcom2: war of chosen.

I think it is much improved over basic xcom-2 or xcom-2+longwar. I really like the mechanic changes (chosen) and the tweaks to the campaign. However, it does have a few negatives.
-
I made the mistake of playing on veteran (last two final missions were on commander). The game was quite easy (on veteran) 'cept for a brief period where you first meet the chosen and they are relatively quite strong. There seems to be no filter (limit) on how strong you can make your army with the new changes to research and covert. As with the base game I tend to stretch things out (not do the primary mission to advance the story while I build my army). Unlike the original game i was never under any pressure to advance the story.
-
What I would like to see in xcom2++ or xcom3 is the new elements flushed out a bit and limited in some fashion as well as a deeper campaign.
-
There are a few bugs (some gui issues that are hold overs from xcom2 and some weird performance bugs - also the ai seemed weak). If I play again (probalby next time I travel) I'll play on commander or higher though I don't remember commander being a huge step up in the base game. One last comment while I like the 3 faction heroes i found them significantly underpowered compared to regular soldiers and I would think on harder levels they are useless ('cept for the scouting ability). At the end of the day you need to be able to kill the enemy and so I think they need a bit more of a boost in killing power.
-
Now to finish d:eek:s-2

I finally finished the base game of Witcher 3. Loved it, and am still amazed how rich in content it turned out to be. I finished it at aprox 150 hours. And I still have the two expansions. But man, it's been a long month. I feel I've been playing the game forever. It's almost too big. Almost. :D

I recently finished Dex - Enhanced Edition from GoG.
Backed it on kickstarter but never followed the development etc.
Side scrolling Cyberpunkish style.
I specialized in melee only. You can sorta play a stealth type with takedown from behind mechanics.
(Yep, Wisdom the Stealth Ranger Mage actually played melee! I admit though I'm actually a sucker for stealth melee games.)

Lots of people say that its a "deep story" but I completely disagree. Story elements are moderate! Quests are good and directional with often multiple choices/consequences.
Simple and enjoyable. Worth the $5-10 purchase from GoG.

I'd rate it 4/5 stars putting it right up there with DivinityOS2 and Tony Hawke Pro Skateboarder. (#MaylanderReviewGate2017!!)

@Dajjer;
Dex also fits your request for short RPGs.

Wait, wait, wait.. What extension do you mean please? I was also on the "ok" label for this game. I would like to check that extension and what it changes.
@Aerth;

White Marsh Part 1 & 2. I believe the biggest change that I really felt was in the combat UI and mechanics, but both the expansions and the increased level cap also mattered.

EDIT: The fact that I went in with really high expectations the first time and none at all the second time probably mattered too.

Last edited:
White Marsh Part 1 & 2. I believe the biggest change that I really felt was in the combat UI and mechanics, but both the expansions and the increased level cap also mattered.

EDIT: The fact that I went in with really high expectations the first time and none at all the second time probably mattered too.

The game is INFINITELY better if you go in with no expectations.

Last edited:
The game is INFINITELY better if you go in with no exceptions.

Yeah. The weird thing is I was disappointed the first time because it wasn't BG. But the second time it felt just like playing a modern day BG…

I think my main mistake the first time wad not doing any studying. I wanted to go in blind but that led to alot of frustration since the mechanics where all new, something that of course can't happen in a DnD game if you're a nerd like me. I THOUGHT I understood perfectly but it turns out I didn't. Now I spent some time on the forums and read character builds and mechanics explanations. Smart move.

I finished Vaporum this week, a steampunk dungeoncrawler, pretty good it was; i dont usually play this genre but this one hooked me, very atmospheric, bioshock vibes everywhere, interesting story and char development. Combat i thought it was meh, being real time, when i was fighting many enemies with dot and aoe, was annoying. Who likes the genre shoudl really play it and buy it ofc( devs are a small team of 6 from slovakia), since it has a unique setting.

Back
Top Bottom