Skyrim - "Game Jam" Video

Again, I'm not saying it's not "impressive work" - but that half of it is "cool" rather than particularly interesting gameplay enhancements.

I think the game is plenty "cool" as it is - and what it needs is actually better mechanics and game balance stuff. It doesn't really need all these cool things.

But that's just me.

I think that was the whole point though. They were just things those individuals personally thought were "neat".

I didn't see anything that really blew me away, I just thought a few of them were pretty cool considering they were done in 7 days. I liked the seasonal foliage and enhanced underwater visuals.

But yeah.. as far as enhancing the game from a design standpoint, there's not much there.

I didn't see anything that really blew me away, I just thought a few of them were pretty cool considering they were done in 7 days. I liked the seasonal foliage and enhanced underwater visuals.

Agreed. Those were among the best - and they would actually help the immersion significantly, to my mind.

But yeah.. as far as enhancing the game from a design standpoint, there's not much there.

Like I said above, more customization control and training of your companion and Dark Dungeons/more complex puzzles-physics related puzzles partnered with the stealth features would be actually quite enhancing imo...

Not game changing of course and I am sure the modders are already on to that and more...

imo, the ideas originated from individuals and were implemented as such (though sometimes some collaboration between modelers, coders, etc. was needed). As such, large gameplay additions/modifications couldn't be done. Rather, a single graphics coder had some fun creating water shaders (or a modeler a gigant crab).

The video was probably released to serve as an inspiration to the modding community (to kickstart it).

Would be nice if you could do the dragon shout thing with just a mic, no kinect needed.

AFAICT there is such a mod… But don't hold me too it, as I would not be caught dead "shouting" at(or talking to) my PC. The neighbors would think I had lost it, or worse(since I only game in the wee morning hours).

Anyway I think I found it, click the following link for "ThuuMic":

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5626

In addition to shouts, you can call your horse by name and issue commands to companions(or at least the mod description indicates as much).

-EDIT-

As for the video I agree with Dart and JDR, the enhancements were primarily of an immersive nature vice a design/mechanic.

That said, I would still like to see some of them make into the game via dlc(preferably free :p):

-Seasonal foliage
-Flow-based Water Shader
-Stealth enhancements
-Mounted combat
-Build your own home(more customizable the better)
-Enhanced underwater visuals
-Spell combos
-Goblins, vampire imps
-spears

As for other immersion enhancements that would be most appreciated(for me anyway):

-The ability to perform/attempt a bull rush be it successful or not... I don't know if anyone else ever tried sprinting into a random NPC, but doing so would cause them to stagger and typically say something. My idea is to make the sprint also function as a bull rush/charge if engaging another human/or creature, where the individual with higher stamina remains upright and the other is knocked to the ground and "dazed". The penalty for a failed charge, in addition to being knocked on the ground and dazed, is a loss of all stamina.
-Expanded bestiary, the goblins and vampire imps are a nice start but more monsters/humanoids is always a plus.
-Expanded magic system, the idea of adding spell combos is nice but magic is still lacking… Skyrim needs more spells in general(eg haste, curses, ect)
-Spears are a good start, but what about polearms? Polearms + mounted combat could be a blast(if done right).
-Guild leader(companions, thieves, mage, dark B) needs to have some depth to it. Perhaps the ability to give out assignments or improve the guild via guild's or personal funds? Better interactions/convos between leader and subordinates.
-No more attack horses. I'm tired of my horse charging off and getting killed.

Last edited:
AFAICT there is such a mod… But don't hold me too it, as I would not be caught dead "shouting" at(or talking to) my PC. The neighbors would think I had lost it, or worse(since I only game in the wee morning hours).

Anyway I think I found it, click the following link for "ThuuMic":

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5626

In addition to shouts, you can call your horse by name and issue commands to companions(or at least the mod description indicates as much).

I saw a video for that a while back but it had huge lag from the moment you said the shout to your character performing it in-game. As long as I can just mumble the words instead of shouting them the neighbors shouldn't be calling the cops ;)

The game jam videos are very cool but I have a hard time believing that each was made by one dude during a week. Stuff like mounted combat and dragon riding was something they must've been working on for expansions since the game shipped.

I have a hard time believing that each was made by one dude during a week. Stuff like mounted combat and dragon riding was something they must've been working on for expansions since the game shipped.

Much of the stuff they showed were most likely on a concept level and still very buggy.

Back
Top Bottom