Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trying out empyreal sorceress now - love the fact Pathfinder provide such interesting archetypes. Empyreal sorcerer utilises wisdom rather than charisma as main stat. Really provides you different options to build variety of characters!

Yep. It's also nice how when you hover over a stat on the character creation screen, it shows you exactly what it governs for each class, so you can easily see that Wisdom is used instead of Charisma for your spells if you're an Empyreal Sorcerer, etc.. Nice little feature there. :)

Questions about food.
1. I've copied a bunch of recipes that I've found but when resting my cook always makes "hearty meal". Is there a way to change that?
2. Is there a point to picking up food items? They don't seem to get consumed while camping.

Other:
How do I rest at my capital? Do I have a fancy baron room somewhere?

Last edited:
You change what recipe is used in the 'manage rest' screen where you assign jobs, etc. If only hearty appears there, then you haven't copied the recipes correctly. Different food items are consumed by different recipes.

Other:
How do I rest at my capital? Do I have a fancy baron room somewhere?
Behind the throne room. If you press r anywhere in the capital, you will rest automatically and wake up there.

My favourite class is hands down the alchemist. Conquering the stolen lands, mad scientist style. :)

You change what recipe is used in the 'manage rest' screen where you assign jobs, etc. If only hearty appears there, then you haven't copied the recipes correctly. Different food items are consumed by different recipes.

Ah found it now, thanks! The "manage" button doesn't really look like a button, more like a header.

Yep. It's also nice how when you hover over a stat on the character creation screen, it shows you exactly what it governs for each class, so you can easily see that Wisdom is used instead of Charisma for your spells if you're an Empyreal Sorcerer, etc.. Nice little feature there. :)
It does? That must be 1.1 patch addition because I remember that before you had no real way to know which stat is your main stat for archetypes. Stat descriptions only listed main classes.

Pressing R to rest anywhere in the capital is the best tip I have read so far!

Questions about food.
1. I've copied a bunch of recipes that I've found but when resting my cook always makes "hearty meal". Is there a way to change that?
2. Is there a point to picking up food items? They don't seem to get consumed while camping.

Food you pick is only needed to prepare the special meals for bonus. So if you are set to a particular recipe you can just sell the not used items.
To survive, what you party really uses are the rations (in dungeons) or the hunting/foraging (outside).
You may totally bypass the meal part by selling all your the food but you would miss an often welcome bonus.
Note than in dungeons you must have rations.

Thanks for all the replies.
More questions:
1. Meals that grant a movement speed bonus, is that speed on the overland map while adventuring or speed in the explore/combat isometric view?
2. When leaving the capital, do I have to exit the throne room and then walk all the way to the area exit in town? Is there no faster way to do this?

Movement bonus is for explore map or more important combat phase. The only bonus applicable to the travel map, at least the only one I know about, is the "hours before fatigue".

2) No :(

Thanks for all the replies.
2. When leaving the capital, do I have to exit the throne room and then walk all the way to the area exit in town? Is there no faster way to do this?

Choose a monk :) My character is a monk, with movement rate of 70+ ;-) He can dash from the hall to the exit point very quickly!

It does? That must be 1.1 patch addition because I remember that before you had no real way to know which stat is your main stat for archetypes. Stat descriptions only listed main classes.

Nope, it's been there from the start. Try picking a class that uses Charisma for spells and hover over Charisma while making the character. Your spell list should light up on the bottom left. Hover over Dexterity and your AC, Reflex saves etc. light up. Pick a class that uses Wisdom for spells and now Wisdom will light up your spell numbers.

Last edited:
Would "Protection against alignment: Evil" work against Will-o-Wisps?

I'm trying some different tactics against the Will-oWisps in the well outside the witch's hut. They are not to be trifled with at level 6!

I'm trying some different tactics against the Will-oWisps in the well outside the witch's hut. They are not to be trifled with at level 6!
No idea, but the best way to deal with them is to use Protection/Resist Energy or whatever those spells are called, and then select Lightning/Electricity. Communal Protection (Lightning) basically renders your entire party completely immune to wisps.

Make sure you have resist electricity, spread out your party a bit so you don't get everyone zapped. Use bless and bane, and you should be able to get it.

Stupid question - I hear all of you talk about chapters but how do you know which chapter you are at? I can see the cut between I and II where I got my Barony but after..
for reference: I kicked the ass of the trolls, I thought than I was done but I had to fight monsters in my capital and struggle with flowers in some other plane. I also went to my love date with that pixie girl but apparently there was some misunderstanding and I had to fireball my way out of that love nest of her. Are all those parts still in chapter II? What size is this game? O_O

Stupid question - I hear all of you talk about chapters but how do you know which chapter you are at? I can see the cut between I and II where I got my Barony but after..
for reference: I kicked the ass of the trolls, I thought than I was done but I had to fight monsters in my capital and struggle with flowers in some other plane. I also went to my love date with that pixie girl but apparently there was some misunderstanding and I had to fireball my way out of that love nest of her. Are all those parts still in chapter II? What size is this game? O_O
Good question. I honestly don't know, as I kept using "chapter" for the curse timer (part 1, part 2, part 3 etc), but most seem to refer to chapter as the story event triggers, though they're a bit more difficult to predict or keep track of.

@ChatMiauleur;

Chapter 1 - Stolen Lands - Stag Lord
Chapter 2 - Rivers Run Red - troll invasion & bloom
Chapter 3 - Varnhold Vanishing - Vordakai
Chapter 4 - Blood for blood - Armag
Chapter 5 - War of the River kings - Pitax
Chapter 6 - Sound of a Thousand screams - Nyrissa
Chapter 7 - optional additional chapter

From what I understand, chapters are based on original P&P module

Communal delay poison on your party, stinking cloud on the wisps. They have weak fortitude saves, so they usually fail, and then just float harmless in the air.

Back
Top Bottom