|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » JRPGs with kid(s) as main character(s)

Default JRPGs with kid(s) as main character(s)

December 28th, 2015, 20:07
I have to ask, how much talking does Child of Light have? I wanted an RPG originally b/c of many dialogues most of them have. An ordinary action game won't be an equally nice present for her, even if it's very good.

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 28th, 2015, 20:28
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
I have to ask, how much talking does Child of Light have? I wanted an RPG originally b/c of many dialogues most of them have. An ordinary action game won't be an equally nice present for her, even if it's very good.
The game is a love letter to JRPGs, although all the dialogue are in rimes (that might be a minus depending on the person). The protagonist comment about location and people she encounters. There is also a voiced narrator. There are dialog with various NPCs, written stuff and even companions too. You can also look at a let's play on youtube (part 2 has more dialogues) to see if that fits what you are looking for (all the people doing let's play have to speak out load the dialogue, can be annoying lol).

It's not a very long game though (15-20 hours).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

December 29th, 2015, 23:12
Elel >> Maybe Grandia?
The main character is 14 (I didn't play the whole game, but the beginning seemed really "kid-friendly" to me).

EDIT: as already mentionned, the characters of Pier Solar are also pretty young, but I think that the hero is more 16/17 than 12/13. Otherwise, I played the game and don't really remember parts not appropriate to children (but the combat are really hard, and random encounters really numerous, which can be frustrated for a kid).

ANOTHER EDIT: I also remembered of Gurumin. I've never played it, but it seems for kids! (it also exist on the PSP)

EDITS NEVER DIE: And what about Pokémon?
Last edited by Luitoine; December 29th, 2015 at 23:35.

Luitoine

Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

December 30th, 2015, 01:26
Great suggestions. Thanks!

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

January 1st, 2016, 09:41
Pokemon! Gah, why didn't I think of that??
--
People's Commissar for the Suppression of Gamer Culture

staff editor and columnist, RPGWatch.com
cassieyorke.wordpress.com

Aubrielle

Rabbit Mafia
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

June 26th, 2018, 09:28
Resurrecting an old thread just to say that I did choose Fortune Summoners. It looked very cute and kiddy. And…. it turned out that it's totally hardcore! Dark Souls with cute kids and lots of dialogues. I had to play it myself, haha. That was tough…

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

+1:

June 26th, 2018, 17:01
I'd never heard of Fortune Summoners, so I had to look it up. It seems interesting, something that might appeal to me more if it were only turn-based instead of straight-up action. It also looks like it might have some platform elements, though I'm not sure on that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 26th, 2018, 23:17
It's got jumping, but I didn't find any difficulties with that. It's not like, say, Prince of Persia on NES. But fighting is difficult. At first it was deceptively easy, until I met the very first boss. It was unbeatable by just by attacking it. I had to learn to block and time my own attacks. Btw, if it sounds stupid that I wasn't doing that before, well that's how all action games play, you never need to bother blocking or thinking about strategy. This is why action games are mostly relaxing in a dumb serene state of mind. Well, not this one. Even simple trash mobs can kill you unless you fight them with a brain turned on. There's later more complex stuff.

But it's not like I recommend this game, unless you like things like that. I've seen this game compared to Ghouls & Goblins, if that tells anything to anybody.

It's basically an RPG with a side-scrolling perspective, with a linear story and rather tough battles. I'd say it's rather deceptive that the story is about a very young girl ( a kid), but the fighting is… like that. It's surely refreshing, I just wish it was advertsed as a difficult game, lol. Most people who bought it probably expected it to be an ordinary click-without-thinking action-RPG.

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

June 27th, 2018, 00:40
  • Ni No Kuni (PS3)
  • Rainbow Moon (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
  • Rainbow Skies (PS4/PS3/PS Vita) - it's a sequel to Rainbow Moon, to be released… this 26th, June ?????
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 21st, 2018, 05:36
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Totally forgot about this one. I remember seeing a public outcry to port this game on PC and they never did it. I really wish it was ported to check if the game is *that* good.

If the child isn't illiterate, grab them Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky cheap on GOG.
If is still learning to read, put them away from machines.
I looove the Trails saga. Can't wait for Cold Steel III to release on PC. I heard they're bringing back Estelle and Joshua back in the fourth one. I literally screamed when I first read the report!

What about Prince of Persia 2008. Gorgeous art, interesting characters and a rather simple combat mechanism?

trespasser

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

August 21st, 2018, 14:32
Originally Posted by trespasser View Post
What about Prince of Persia 2008. Gorgeous art, interesting characters and a rather simple combat mechanism?
It's not jRPG with kid.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

August 21st, 2018, 15:33
Wow, that's really excellent, if both Estelle and Joshua are going to return in the Cold Steel series!! When that hits the computer market, it just might wind up being a day one purchase for me.

And I'm still having a great time once again replaying the Trails in the Sky series. I'm about ten hours into the third game and trying out a different squad than I used previously, just to learn more on strengths and weaknesses.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

August 22nd, 2018, 07:37
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
It's not jRPG with kid.
Oh right.

trespasser

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 22nd, 2018, 20:39
Well there is Huniepop. Not sure if RPG, though. Has a character progression system ( well, sort of).
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 23rd, 2018, 05:51
FF Tactics Advance. From Wikipedia "The game's story centers on four children; Marche, Mewt, Ritz, and Doned."

Hmm, the thread is a couple years now so I suppose Elel may not be looking for suggestions anymore. Oh well
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » JRPGs with kid(s) as main character(s)