RPS - Have You Played UnReal World?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a new article about an old RPG game called UnReal World. I have near heard of the game, but here is what the site says about the game.

This has nothing to do with the popular FPS series, Unreal. It’s much more interesting. UnReal World has been a mainstay on various hard drives that I’ve owned since I first discovered it at some point in the mid-nineties. The first release was in 1992 and to describe the game as being ‘a bit ahead of its time’ would be like describing Usain Bolt as ‘quite fast’. Unfamiliar at the time, the elements of play are now a genre in and of themselves. It’s an RPG about wilderness survival, with borrowings from the roguelike ocean, and an enormous amount of things to craft.

It’s also, quite possibly, the best example of its type.

While the original release is twenty two years old, the latest update was this month. Two decades of development have paid off and UnReal World has the most intricate procedural worlds to explore and perish in. The setting isn’t the usual dungeon with a dragon in it – fantasy aspects are stripped back and the game takes place in the far north during the late Iron Age. You’ll spend your time hunting, trapping, fishing, building, trading, fighting and freezing to death. Sometimes you might bleed to death instead, if the mood takes you.
More information.

I have been playing this for about two years and have to say its a pretty decent roguelike survival game. I'm not really into roguelikes, but this is slightly different although with the mandatory permadeath. I guess its a little less frantic that the usual roguelike. And its FREE, with an option to donate to the development. Give it a go.

This made me think of a mod for the original Unreal game which was sort of an RPG, I think. I can't remember the name for the life of me. It would be interesting to revisit that one...

Back
Top Bottom