Steam - Darklands and Gabriel Knight: Sins of Fathers Now Available

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Darklands, an undying RPG classic from 1992, and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition are now available on Steam. Thank you, HiddenX!

Heroic Adventures in Medieval Germany
Deep in the twilight of the Black Forest, you and your companions crouch before the robber-knight's tower. Hans, the alchemist, places his mysterious potion by the door. Ebhard the friar implores Saint Dunstan to bless your weapons and armor. And you and Gretchen grip naked long swords, praying your plate mail won't squeak.

With a thundery crash, the door explodes into fragments! You charge inside, swords and maces swinging. One guard falls beneath the power of your blade... then two more! You storm upstairs to the second floor, but there to greet you is Erhard the Red Wolf, the infamous robber-knight, surrounded by his henchmen. Hans tosses a choking potion into their faces and you quickly charge into the fray. The room echoes with the clash of steel on steel... it's a battle to the death in the Black Forest!

Prepare yourself to enter Darklands... the first realistic fantasy role-playing adventure for computers!
More information.

More information.

Darklands is OOOOLD! 1992... jeez, mice just started to get popular about four years earlier. Does this use extended or expanded memory? ;)

I'm wondering if they send you the around 200 page manual for Darklands....I think it had CD protection with it. Man, I spent like 2-3 yrs playing that game on and off, it was awesome.

I'm wondering if they send you the around 200 page manual for Darklands….I think it had CD protection with it. Man, I spent like 2-3 yrs playing that game on and off, it was awesome.

GOG's got the manual, for sure. Does Steam include manuals? o.o;

Anyone tried Gabriel Knight remake?What it's like compared to original.

Tried it briefly. Now, I never played the original very much - so I can't remember a lot of details.

This new version doesn't look like a rush job, and the voice acting is professional, where the original had mostly amateur hour stuff.

It looks pretty good and has smooth animations and what not.

But I'm sure fans of the original will have something to point out that's worse :)

Darklands was awesome, killing robbers, robber barons, sabbaths warlock? or demon, then after I killed one dragon the game somehow deflated.. There wasn't any enemy more mighty so I stopped playing, lack of incentive.

Tried it briefly. Now, I never played the original very much - so I can't remember a lot of details.

This new version doesn't look like a rush job, and the voice acting is professional, where the original had mostly amateur hour stuff.

It looks pretty good and has smooth animations and what not.

But I'm sure fans of the original will have something to point out that's worse :)

Ok thanks for info I might pick it up when price drops.From what I seen fans of original are raging over remake(more than usual) but as I also never played original I would like to hear non-nostalgic opinions.

The original CD-ROM version featured voice talents of such well-known actors as Tim Curry as Gabriel, Mark Hamill as Mosely, Leah Remini as Grace, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Wolfgang Ritter and Michael Dorn as Dr. John, a proprietor of a voodoo museum in central New Orleans.

In can't remember having played Darklands...and looking at screenshots makes me wonder why the hell not, it looks right up my alley. I might just have to try it...anyone know if it's possible to play on a pad? If not I reckon the laptop will do just fine, not exactly demanding graphics, might buy it as a holiday game...

Anyone played it recently who can tell if it's still playable? ;)

The text-font was/is really ugly and hard to read in Darklands and the interface is a bit clunky. The game is still great - you need a lot of time for this one.

Tim Curry in Sins of Fathers is a hate/love affair - some hate it some say only with this voice Gabriel sounds real.
It has been reported that the new version has some glitches and has been streamlined a bit, too. I haven't tried it yet. I still have the original, so I don't know if I'll try the new version.

I just picked it up on GOG for $2.50 (it's on sale right atm) and I haven't gotten to install it yet, but I thought you might want to be made aware of the sale, tomasp3n, in case you were considering it. :)

After posting that link on Darklands I decided to download the manual and read it.
Ancient Game Manuals on a Saturday night? Who but the cool kids have that for a Saturday night activity? :cool:

They don't make them like they used too.. (manuals that is)

After posting that link on Darklands I decided to download the manual and read it.
Ancient Game Manuals on a Saturday night? Who but the cool kids have that for a Saturday night activity? :cool:

They don't make them like they used too.. (manuals that is)

Oooh, sounds like fun. I'll follow Aubrielles advice and buy it, and then your example and read the manual...

Oooh, sounds like fun. I'll follow Aubrielles advice and buy it, and then your example and read the manual…

I hope it's worth the purchase for you!

I remember playing Darklands back in the early 90s, when I had a 386. I had a lot of fun with it at the time, but not sure if I could go back to the clunky interface and hard to read text. Still, for $2.50 on GoG as Aubrielle mentioned, I can always give it a try.

I never played Gabriel Knight myself, but watched over the shoulder while a friend played it. I was in New Orleans at the time and my friend always got any movie or game that was set there. He had the floppy version, an entire stack of them if I remember right, and they didn't have the voice acting that the CD version included.

Back
Top Bottom