Tactical Adventures - Developing OGL D&D 5th Edition RPG

The original Pool of Radiance (at least in my memory) was something of a tactical game, where you were offered "jobs" which usually meant going into a mission, defeating some enemies and then going on the next job. It seems this was a good fit for a rpg with a deep and complex rule system. I like Baldur's Gate type of games as much as the next player, but a tactical, mission based D&D game (x-com style if you will) seems to me like an easier approach, especially for an unknown developer.
Yep, or something like in Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun series. A hub and missions. The TDE Blackguards games were structured similarly.
I miss exploration and freedom in this type of games though.

The original Pool of Radiance (at least in my memory) was something of a tactical game, where you were offered "jobs" which usually meant going into a mission, defeating some enemies and then going on the next job. It seems this was a good fit for a rpg with a deep and complex rule system. I like Baldur's Gate type of games as much as the next player, but a tactical, mission based D&D game (x-com style if you will) seems to me like an easier approach, especially for an unknown developer.

You should check Dungeons & Dragons Tactics, it was a game for the PSP so you can probably play it easily in an emulator, and it's mission based like that (and follows the rules of D&D pretty close, don't remember if it was 2nd or 3rd ed).

I've heard good things about Dungeons and Dragons: Tactics from friends, and that's a title I keep hoping that great old games or steam might resurrect someday. I actually have a playstation portable, but I don't really like the thing.

D&D Tactics is an excellent, deep CRPG. I wish they'd port it to PC and remake it a bit. My only complaint was that it was too easy, you outlevel the game pretty quickly and all encounters become trivial. But the game itself is excellent. Story based choice and consequence, the story even changes based on your alignment. Great game that really, really would be a hit with a proper PC port and some remaking/tweaking of things.

D&D Tactics was a good game for it's time back in 2007. Unfortunately it was a PSP game only and I doubt Atari has any plans to date to ever remaster it for the PC.:(

Also well I'll let the quote say the negative side.
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics suffered at the hands of most reviewers, who complained of numerous issues with the game. The user interface was universally noted as being cumbersome and difficult to use. The GameSpot review noted that "Wrestling with the interface is the biggest headache. […] You can't just push a single button and move, you need to push a button then scroll across a bunch of choices to select the move command." Another frequent source of frustration was the camera, which tends to be quite zoomed-in, hindering visibility. The IGN review commented, "Since you don't really have the option to pull the camera out very far to see even on illuminated battlefields, much less darkened dungeon pathways, it can frequently be tricky to gain a sense of where your enemies are until they're right on top of you."

On Metacritic, the game has a score of 58 out of 100.

D&D Tactics was a good game for it's time back in 2007. Unfortunately it was a PSP game only and I doubt Atari has any plans to date to ever remaster it for the PC.:(

I think it would be a hit if they remade it with better difficulty options. The game just got too easy that combat was more a chore than an exciting life or death situation. It's a shame because the combat options and some of the 3.5 stuff they added is even deeper than Temple of Elemental Evil, if some of you could believe that. It's true, the game had massive depth. A port/remake would sell well I think but like Couch said it's probably never going to happen. :(

Back
Top Bottom