Non-RPG General News - The 4X and 4X-Like Games of 2021 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - The 4X and 4X-Like Games of 2021

Default Non-RPG General News - The 4X and 4X-Like Games of 2021

January 2nd, 2021, 12:58
Henriquejr spotted a list of upcoming 4X-games at Explorminate:

The 4X and 4X-Like Games of 2021

As the end of the year draws in, it is tradition for the staff here at eXplorminate to pick a list of our most anticipated 4X titles due for release over the following twelve months. We're only aware of four pure 4X games incoming in 2021, so this time around our list will be a little different.

Instead, let's look at the four confirmed 4X games, a couple of confirmed 4X-adjacent games and a 4X game we'll go out on a limb and say might be out in some form or another in 2021.

Without further ado…

[…]

  • Humankind
  • Distant Worlds 2
  • Old World
  • Remnants of the Precursors
  • Alliance of the Sacred Suns
  • Terra Invicta
  • Star Dynasties
  • Slipways
  • Galactic Civilization IV (speculation)
More information.
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 13,739
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 16:23
The ones I'll be looking for (in no specific order of preference):
  • Old World;
  • Remnants of the Precursors;
  • Alliance of the Sacred Suns;
  • Terra Invicta, from Pavonis Interactives (the developers of the Long War mods for XCOM1/XCOM2). Those XCOM mods are quite popular, and I'm eager to see what they'll do in the 4X genre ;
  • Star Dynasties

Notes:

a) Remnants of the Precursors is a Master of Orion 1 remake, written in Java, and it's FREE, so you can play it right away if you will (download it here, just remember it's still on beta);

b) Hey @Couchpotato, you once created a thread where you ask for "4X Crusader Kings 2 Inspired Games In Space". Well, Old World is not a Space game but it is still 4X meets Crusader Kings 2, perhaps you should take a closer look on it;

c) The article speculates that Galactic Civilizations IV may be released this year (they show some kind of proof that says the game is being developed, which I didn't know). If that's true and the game really gets to be released this year, this would be as bombastic (when it comes to 4X games) as a news about the launch of the new TES game when it comes to RPGs.
--
Sou tricolor de coraÁ„o!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jšger!
Last edited by henriquejr; January 2nd, 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Typo fixed
henriquejr is online now

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,805
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 16:30
I've been following all these games for years already. As this is my favorite genre of games besides RPGs that I love to play. Would love more classical RTS games though.

By that I mean the Command and Conquer or Supreme Commander type.

Here are two I'm really interested in.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45727
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 2nd, 2021 at 17:18.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 16:49
Humankind really looks interesting. Does anyone know if it stops at a certain era or if it a game can be configured to end at a certain era?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#4

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:12
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Humankind really looks interesting. Does anyone know if it stops at a certain era or if it a game can be configured to end at a certain era?
You start out in the Ancient age and progress to the Modern age as you play.
Combine up to 60 historical cultures as you lead your people from the Ancient to the Modern Age. From humble origins as a Neolithic tribe, transition to the Ancient Era as the Babylonians, become the Classical era Mayans, the Medieval Umayyads, the Early Modern era British, and so on. Each culture will add its own special gameplay layer, leading to near-endless outcomes.
Almost the same as the civilization games it seems.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1124300
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#5

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:17
That's a nice article and 2021 looks like a great year for 4X games. Wish there was a great fantasy one on the list but maybe with mods. I would list my favorite genres as:

1a-RPG's
1b-4X
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable

#6

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 2,238
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:22
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You start out in the Ancient age and progress to the Modern age as you play.
Almost the same as the civilization games it seems.
Ah, darn. Civ loses charm for me at about rennaissance age. And unfortunatly there isn't a game mode to end at a certain era. There are mods but they can't maintain balance.

Perhaps Old World it is then.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:24
Terra Invicta is interesting as well developed by some X-Com 2 modders.

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…/terra-invicta
Link -https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…Terra_Invicta/
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#8

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:27
Yes, Old World it is! From IGN:
While Civilization covers the entire scope of human history, Old World is, as the name might suggest, fully focused on the ancient era – roughly modeling the Mediterranean region in the period from the rise of early Iron Age civilizations until the height of European antiquity.
That's exactly my cup of tea. Also you have to manage leader succesion and stuff. Nice!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:32
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Yes, Old World it is! From IGN:That's exactly my cup of tea. Also you have to manage leader succesion and stuff. Nice!
I hope that game is worth the long wait.

It's developed by Soren Johnson, the lead designer of Civilization 4, and a few mods. I remember he was sick at one point in development. It caused a huge delay.

Anyway yeah I'm not a huge fan of the civilization series after the fourth game myself.
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#10

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:33
Oh, I see. So when you say he was sick, he has recovered now?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#11

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:35
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Oh, I see. So when you say he was sick, he has recovered now?
I believe the update is still on the kickstarter page. He never went into detail but it halted development for months. As the game should have been released already.

All is fine now though.
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#12

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:37
I'm wondering if I should wait around for Firaxis to make a Short War mod for Terra Invicta before buying?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their viewsÖ.
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#13

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 17:40
I didn't include Humankind in my personal list above and I tell you why:

I played the first two Humankind Opendev Scenarios for free on Steam, and I just couldn't understand how combat works. I *think* there is a deploy phase and a combat phase but I simply couldn't position my combat unit where I'd like to and the whole "combat lesson" was, to me, hard to learn. The game didn't clear this out for me. I even made this clear on Humankind forums. As a result, I didn't even care to play the third Opendev Scenario they released on Steam as well as the most recent Lucy Opendev.

Thing is, I feel my bad personal experience with the Opendev Scenarios ruined the game for me. Beyond repair. I don't even care to follow its news anymore. It's with a mix of sadness and dissatisfaction that I say that I probably won't be playing Humankind when it gets released.

As I've said in my post on the Humankind forum, "have fun you who liked the game. I swear I tried to."
--
Sou tricolor de coraÁ„o!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jšger!
henriquejr is online now

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,805
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 18:25
I'd definitely like to check out Distant World's sequel, if this one will have a readable damn font size.
Capt. Huggy Face is online now

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#15

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 19:58
4x is my favourite genre alongside RPGs… but personally, I'm getting tired of sci-fi 4x games. There have been so many over the last 6 or 8 years or so. Really wish we'd see some good fantasy-based ones (for me, only Endless Legend and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes fit that bill).

Anyway, minor rant aside, I've been playing Humankind and Old World. Humankind is ok. Maybe I expected more but it plays like Endless Legend does Civilization. I guess that's what they were aiming for but I hoped they'd try and be more innovative. I think it'll be a solid game - just nothing spectacular. Maybe some DLCs will flesh things out or add some new, interesting things - but overall I'm left feeling a bit "meh" on it.

Old World is more interesting imo. There are some more innovative things in it (like the Orders system and of course the personalities and relationships). I haven't played it much recently but my biggest concern is polish. It was really pretty rough around the edges but hopefully that's getting ironed out. Of the two games, this is the one that has held my attention more.
SSIGuy is offline

SSIGuy

SSIGuy's Avatar
An Islander Returned

#16

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: A Misty Island
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 21:04
Okay, I'm stupid : What does "4X" mean ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 19,742
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 21:18
Seriously do you live under a rock? Never played Master of Orion?

Alright here we go it simply means Explore, Expand, Exploit, & Exterminate.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#18

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,828
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 21:25
Don't lie to the poor guy, Couch. It means XXX, but even sexier.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 2nd, 2021, 22:30
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Okay, I'm stupid : What does "4X" mean ?
I'll translate to Dinosaur: WhrarrgrrRROOAR… games like Warlords.. GRRRROOOAR.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - The 4X and 4X-Like Games of 2021
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:36.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch