Game Critique, Commentary and Analysis - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Game Critique, Commentary and Analysis

Default Game Critique, Commentary and Analysis

January 5th, 2021, 10:27
Since we don't have, or at least not to my knowledge, a thread for this sort of game videos, I thought it might be useful to start one.

I've been posting Noah Gervais's analysis videos for some time, and he recently posted one on the Watch Dogs series. It's really nice to listen to. His videos are always sharply written, very informative and in depth.

If you have the time, it's worth listening. Especially while doing something else. Most all of them are very good. He also has some interesting road trip videos where he travels across America in a VW minibus. Those are also cool.

loading…
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#1

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 10:50
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I've been posting Noah Gervais's analysis videos for some time, and he recently posted one on the Watch Dogs series. It's really nice to listen to. His videos are always sharply written, very informative and in depth.
Good idea! Between NeverKnowsBest, Chris Davis and Noah Caldwell-Gervais, he's probably my preferred, but that's close. Chris Davis may follow the game plot more closely in chronological order, the other two are rather good at dissecting each point and illustrating it with gameplay.

This is the link you were looking for the other day, for reference (it was in the news, under General Non-RPG for some reason - we all have our own classification)
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 10:53
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Good idea! Between NeverKnowsBest, Chris Davis and Noah Caldwell-Gervais, he's probably my preferred, but that's close. Chris Davis may follow the game plot more closely in chronological order, the other two are rather good at dissecting each point and illustrating it with gameplay.

This is the link you were looking for the other day, for reference (it was in the news, under General Non-RPG for some reason - we all have our own classification)
Thanks. Yeah, I had no idea where to post this sort of stuff. Having a news thread for each is good as a notification, but having them or at least referenced from a central place would also be useful, since individual entries tend to get lost.

Yeah, Noah is my favorite also. Besides the nicely written and heavily documented material, he also has a very nice tone and way of speaking.
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 11:01
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I had no idea where to post this sort of stuff. Having a news thread for each is good as a notification, but having them or at least referenced from a central place would also be useful, since individual entries tend to get lost.
I completely agree, there aren't many quality videos, so they are quickly lost in the news history (as we've just seen). They could be referenced in the game database, but a central thread is better, especially since the videos often regroup several games.
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 16:10
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
This is the link you were looking for the other day, for reference (it was in the news, under General Non-RPG for some reason - we all have our own classification)
Simply because the Watchdog games are not RPGs never were.
Official Genre: Open World Action-adventure
So see there's your classification.
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I completely agree, there aren't many quality videos, so they are quickly lost in the news history (as we've just seen). They could be referenced in the game database, but a central thread is better, especially since the videos often regroup several games.
Happens on every news site I visit. New news replaces old news. The only way I could see to make a change is ask Myrthos for a news tag for such videos.

As you can already filter the front-page news to your tastes.
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If It’s The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 5th, 2021 at 22:05.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#5

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,824
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 17:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Simply because the Watchdog games are not RPGs never were.
So see there's your classification.
My classification for an RPG is a bit loose, but along the lines of
- the player has a role that is supported by some story / narrative, so he/she can immerse in the game
- there are rules, preferrably with an evolution of the character's stats

It's certainly subjective, but that's how I see it. If there aren't rules, well, it's in the grey area and a few years back I would have said "adventure game".

Watch Dogs has a story, narratives, tree abilities that are used by rules, for me it's good enough, but of course I'm trying to be tolerant and adapt to everyone's idea of an RPG

EDIT: I'm embarrassed to ask only now… is there a list of criteria of what the site considers as RPG? I've seen the CRPG analyzer, but what about the other ones?
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Happens on every news site I visit. New news replaces old news. The only way I could see to make a change is ask Myrthos for a news news tag for such videos.

As you can already filter the front-page news to your tastes.
It wasn't a reproach. That's why it's called "news" anyway
A tag would be fine too, indeed. Cherry on top would be a way to link from the database game to the videos, but this can be simply done manually, I suppose we won't see many of those videos.
The real trick is having everyone to use the same convention
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#6

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 19:04
I'm also very open as to what an rpg is. If Diablo is an action rpg, even though there are no choices aside from character building, a lot of others are also rpg.
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 20:51
The RPGWatch news editors decide for themselves what is news-worthy for the Watch.

My current policy (and I think @Silver does the same):

1) Most news about PC-RPGs
2) Some news about other PC-Games with few RPG-Elements (Adventures, Shooters, Visual Novels, Souls-like, Rogue-likes, Strategy-games etc.)
3) Very few newbits about Non-PC RPGs (especially if a future PC-port is possible)

Some remarks:
I like to find and support niche/indie-titles.
I post more about tactical/intelligent RPGs than about simple minded Hack'n'Slash games.
I used to post more about western RPGs, but this has changed with more and more good eastern PC-RPGs releases over the last years.
I post way more video-reviews compared to earlier years, because this form has become much more popular.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 13,737
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 21:43
Another youtuber that makes great videos, but these are less dry analysis, and more comedy oriented: Ross from Accursed Farms.

Some of his:
Ross's Game Dungeon: Dungeon Siege
Ross's Game Dungeon: Realms of the Haunting
Ross's Game Dungeon: Quarantine
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 5th, 2021, 23:06
I usually listen to Raycevick for Game Critique, Commentary and Analysis.

loading…

loading…
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If It’s The Acceptable One Nowadays."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#10

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 25,824
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

January 6th, 2021, 08:13
Indeed, Raycevick is also pretty good
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2021, 18:38
Surprisingly I have little gaming stuff in my youtube subscriptions. I watch mostly ACG's reviews, if that counts as in-depth analysis and critique.

I also like super bunnyhop and the research he does for his videos. Seems I also have Ahoy. He doesn't post much but really liked his retro videos (especially the monkey island one).

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll subscribe to some and see how it goes. Admittedly, and i really don't want to nag, 1 hour videos do put me off.
ilm is offline

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2021, 19:03
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Surprisingly I have little gaming stuff in my youtube subscriptions. I watch mostly ACG's reviews, if that counts as in-depth analysis and critique.

I also like super bunnyhop and the research he does for his videos. Seems I also have Ahoy. He doesn't post much but really liked his retro videos (especially the monkey island one).

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll subscribe to some and see how it goes. Admittedly, and i really don't want to nag, 1 hour videos do put me off.
Oh yeah, forgot about Super BunnyHop. He's also great.
danutz_plusplus is online now

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2021, 19:50
I like IndigoGaming's YT channel, but he has hardly produced any videos recently.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,805
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

Tags
gervais critique analysis
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Game Critique, Commentary and Analysis
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:37.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch