Gothic Remake - Steam Page Up - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Remake - Steam Page Up

Default Gothic Remake - Steam Page Up

March 16th, 2021, 23:55
A quick question - is the "nameless hero" you play always have to be male protagonist or can you pick female?

purpleblob

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 00:21
He's always male.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 00:32
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
A quick question - is the "nameless hero" you play always have to be male protagonist or can you pick female?
You always have to pick a male protagonist. The place is full of male prisoners. I don't recall there being females in this game and their presense would make the game interesting but plotwise its unlikely a female would be sent there. Would a King want prisoners creating children during their imprisonment when they are essentially there to work? The potential for abuse would be high. Having said that the game is unrealistic in not having rape gangs for lack of woman around. A messy detail for sure and I'm not surprised it was left out by original developers.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 00:55
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
You always have to pick a male protagonist. The place is full of male prisoners. I don't recall there being females in this game and their presense would make the game interesting but plotwise its unlikely a female would be sent there. Would a King want prisoners creating children during their imprisonment when they are essentially there to work? The potential for abuse would be high.
There are a few women in Gomez's castle, but that's the only place iirc.

Having said that the game is unrealistic in not having rape gangs for lack of woman around. A messy detail for sure and I'm not surprised it was left out by original developers.
It's bad enough that you constantly get the shit kicked out of you for a good portion of the game. I'm not sure I could have handled gangs trying to butt-rape me too.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 01:06
LOL
For all I know there is no RPG with such, um, potential outcome?

But yes, it's a male-only-prison game so it would be pretty strange if you could have picked to play a female.
Not saying it would be impossible to pull it through somehow, but I guess for PB back then it was easier not to complicate things storywise.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 02:28
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
He's always male.
Awww oh well. I always prefer playing female protagonist. Hope its enjoyable for all who are interested tho.

purpleblob

March 17th, 2021, 02:32
Awww oh well. I always prefer playing female protagonist. Hope its enjoyable for all who are interested tho.
Sexist!

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 02:35
Yeah it's always been the unnamed male protagonist. Doubt they would change that aspect of the game. Anyway if you factor in Gothic4/ArcaniA he finally gets a name.
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Itís The Acceptable One Nowadays."

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 03:04
You always have to pick a male protagonist. The place is full of male prisoners. I don't recall there being females in this game and their presense would make the game interesting but plotwise its unlikely a female would be sent there. Would a King want prisoners creating children during their imprisonment when they are essentially there to work? The potential for abuse would be high. Having said that the game is unrealistic in not having rape gangs for lack of woman around. A messy detail for sure and I'm not surprised it was left out by original developers.
Correction there are a few women in the game. They are concubines/mistress to the islands boss/warden. They have there own room in the castle in Gothic.

Anyway given the political state of this crazy world they might be edited out.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

March 17th, 2021, 03:15
If you play Gothic 2, there is a fabulous mod that reimagines the game in a sequel with a female hero. Valaya is the name, one of the servant girls in G1 out to survive and maybe take a little revenge.

fragonard

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

March 17th, 2021, 03:18
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Sexist!
Its called I can't RP male, thanks

purpleblob

March 17th, 2021, 03:29
Don't worry I'm the opposite myself. Can't RP a women believe me I tried.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

March 17th, 2021, 03:40
I've already completed the original game some 2-3 times, so this certainly isn't for me. I suppose it's more for the players who never got to do that or for whatever reason, can't handle older games.

Personally, I'm more interested in hearing about Elex 2 than some group chasing the coattails of PB by making some modern attempt at mimickry, but that's just me. The Gothic experience is special as has been well documented by fans on the 'Watch - it won't be easily replicated. And so it's probably prudent for those treasuring that experience to tread softly with this remake.

Speaking of KaiRo - I do wish he'd complete his Kickstarter which started oh so long ago now (2014). Bit of an unfortunate story - it very much became a sobering experience as far as my initial excitement went with Kickstarter in general. Still, life does have its tendencies to get in the way and so I do hope we'll eventually get to experience his "Journey Home" album soon.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

March 17th, 2021, 06:51
Added to the wishlist. This one looks enjoyable.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 17th, 2021, 07:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Correction there are a few women in the game. They are concubines/mistress to the islands boss/warden. They have there own room in the castle in Gothic.

Anyway given the political state of this crazy world they might be edited out.
I highly doubt they get edited out. A more likely scenario is that they add more and give them greater roles just because…

Understandable. I really dislike having to roleplay female, and I never do it if there's a choice. That said, it doesn't stop me from playing a game I'm interested in. Horizon Zero Dawn comes to mind as a recent example.
Last edited by JDR13; March 17th, 2021 at 07:38.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 17th, 2021, 07:36
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
I've already completed the original game some 2-3 times, so this certainly isn't for me. I suppose it's more for the players who never got to do that or for whatever reason, can't handle older games.

Personally, I'm more interested in hearing about Elex 2 than some group chasing the coattails of PB by making some modern attempt at mimickry, but that's just me. The Gothic experience is special as has been well documented by fans on the 'Watch - it won't be easily replicated. And so it's probably prudent for those treasuring that experience to tread softly with this remake.
I have mixed feeling about the project myself, but I'm a little surprised that you're already dismissing it. If done right, I think it could at least be an interesting experience for Gothic fans. Like a story being retold with a different spin.

I'm with you though about being more interested in Elex 2, and it's not even close.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 17th, 2021, 07:47
I can just imagine the Kotaku hit piece if they leave the women as sex slaves…

Just for fun here you go - https://www.reddit.com/r/worldofgoth…gothic_series/
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

March 17th, 2021, 07:52
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Speaking of KaiRo - I do wish he'd complete his Kickstarter which started oh so long ago now (2014). Bit of an unfortunate story - it very much became a sobering experience as far as my initial excitement went with Kickstarter in general. Still, life does have its tendencies to get in the way and so I do hope we'll eventually get to experience his "Journey Home" album soon.
I remember that Kickstarter. Can't believe it's been almost seven years. Yet I hate myself for forgetting about it till you mentioned it. Is there a reason why he hasn't finished yet?
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

+1:

March 17th, 2021, 07:56
Yeah, I came across that post previously while searching for Gothic related things. I can understand how people would want women to be better represented in those games, but I don't have a problem with the way they are.

It's a medieval world where most of the positions of power are held by men. It's not that far-fetched, and I don't think there was any agenda on the part of Piranha Bytes.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 17th, 2021, 10:31
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I remember that Kickstarter. Can't believe it's been almost seven years. Yet I hate myself for forgetting about it till you mentioned it. Is there a reason why he hasn't finished yet?
Lots of changes to his family and working life. Basically his imagined dream of composing at home didn't work out for him in the end as he obtained more work from other game developers. It's all exhaustively detailed in the feedback part of the Kickstarter. I love the man's work though, so I'm happy to consider my input a long term investment. I'm sure he'll deliver in the end.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Remake - Steam Page Up