The TV Series discussion thread - Page 280 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

March 23rd, 2021, 03:22
I would agree, they do not have the same initial impact, you remember at least some of the material, so the surprises are less. What draws me back to re-watching shows is that they are far and above ninety-five percent of scripted programs being made now. It just seems that years ago more actual stories were told, and far less time was spent on agendas or politics. To be certain it's there, just to a far less degree. The craft itself also is superior, for the most part.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

April 5th, 2021, 07:54
Finished Season 2 of Westworld tonight.

I thought it was exceptional. It's not as good as the first season, but that was almost guaranteed. Season 1 of Westworld is as close to perfect as any single season of a TV drama I've seen.

Season 2 didn't have as many profound plot twists, but it had some good ones, and some of the individual episodes are among my favorites.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
+1:

April 5th, 2021, 14:00
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Finished Season 2 of Westworld tonight.

I thought it was exceptional. It's not as good as the first season, but that was almost guaranteed. Season 1 of Westworld is as close to perfect as any single season of a TV drama I've seen.

Season 2 didn't have as many profound plot twists, but it had some good ones, and some of the individual episodes are among my favorites.
Agreed. Unfortunately, S3 drops the ball. They tried some stuff but it mostly fails. The only really cool episode ends with an exploding car. You'll know it when you see it.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

April 5th, 2021, 17:23
Saturday evening I completed my re-watch of the first series of Fringe, a totally decent telly show. I really enjoyed it when it was first aired, and reviewing it has just made it that more enjoyable. The cast is beyond solid, some of the episode are odd and filler-ish, but then all series suffer that particular blight at times. I'll likely start series two in a month or three. I'm also re-watching Americans, almost done with series two. These days I'd rather watch shows I know I'll like, rather than wasting time on new shows that are complete garbage.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2021, 00:55
Anyone got any thoughts on season 1 of Resident Alien now that it's complete? I really enjoyed it.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

April 6th, 2021, 03:15
I watched the first two episodes of Resident Alien and then stopped….it just seemed too wacky for me. The characters were almost like cartoon-like, I found them jarring and rather unreal. A friend convinced me to watch the third episode and it seems a bit better, I'll try to stick with it because I adore the Firefly alum. I mean I understand the alien pretending to be human should be odd, but the rest of the cast almost makes him seem more human, by comparison.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2021, 03:17
It is based on a comic book series.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

April 6th, 2021, 03:23
As long as the alien sticks with his agenda of trying to wipe out humanity, I'll do my level best to stick with it. If he reneges, well, then I might, too! And yeah I'm aware of the comic book origins, one of the few times I'd not read the text version of a show before seeing it on television. =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2021, 00:33
I enjoyed Louis Theroux: Shooting Joe Exotic. He did an episode on Joe years ago, and looks back on it in light of the conviction.

I love good documentaries, and I get a lot out of watching other people's strange lives.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

April 7th, 2021, 19:03
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Anyone got any thoughts on season 1 of Resident Alien now that it's complete? I really enjoyed it.
I thought it was awesome. Only downside I can think of was the season finale. I liked much of the content, but It felt like they were forced to squeeze too much content into one season finale. The story flowed quite naturally all the way to episode nine, but in episode ten they really let go of the breaks and almost crashed it. I'm not saying it was bad, but the pacing was a bit off.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

April 7th, 2021, 20:49
I started This is Us yesterday. I'm a sucker for well done family dramedies, and this is certainly that.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

April 7th, 2021, 20:52
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
It is based on a comic book series.
a few other comic books:
Palestine
Optic Nerve
Maus
Stuck Rubber Baby
Don't Go Where I Can't Follow

My point being that goofy and comic book are not synonymous.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2021, 21:08
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
a few other comic books:
Palestine
Optic Nerve
Maus
Stuck Rubber Baby
Don't Go Where I Can't Follow

My point being that goofy and comic book are not synonymous.
Ironically, you left out the most obvious one.

*cough*zombies*cough*

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
+1:

April 7th, 2021, 22:10
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Ironically, you left out the most obvious one.

*cough*zombies*cough*
Quick Walking Dead story. I am a comic collector, have been for a while. I have around 10,000 books, so it's not a casual thing. And my habit with new series is to buy at least the first few issues so I can get a feel for it. I bought issue #1 of The Walking Dead, read it, didn't care for it. Never bought another.

Of all the series to do that with, I had to choose the one that blew up and was selling for thousands of dollars. Even when I sold that #1, I did it too early and only got like 50 bucks.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

+1:

April 7th, 2021, 22:32
I've watched This Is Us since the beginning, yeah it's a bit sappy but I'm often a sucker for family dramas, especially when things tend to not go right and there's some serious tragedy involved. Some of the characters are irksome but, then again, that mirrors life itself to a certain extent. =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2021, 17:33
I had a friend suggest a showed called Bosch, so I tried out the pilot episode last night. I'm a big fan of the lead in the show, I've enjoyed his work since seeing him on Lost, and then I think he had a long stint on the Good Wife as well. After seeing the first episode I'd say it seems to be a solid police drama, and I'll watch at least a few more to see where it might be headed.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2021, 17:41
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I had a friend suggest a showed called Bosch, so I tried out the pilot episode last night. I'm a big fan of the lead in the show, I've enjoyed his work since seeing him on Lost, and then I think he had a long stint on the Good Wife as well. After seeing the first episode I'd say it seems to be a solid police drama, and I'll watch at least a few more to see where it might be headed.
It's based on a long running series of novels. I bought a few for my dad this past Christmas.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2021, 18:34
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I saw around 4 seasons of Bosch. Pretty decent. The lead was also in Deadwood. I dropped out after that. I can't remember why. But I guess I lost steam.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

April 9th, 2021, 21:06
Ahhh yes, I completely forgot he was in Deadwood! That only adds to his already stellar resume, imo.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 12th, 2021, 17:45
Over the past few days I've watching Atlantic Crossing, via PBS detailing what transpired in Norway when Germany invaded, circa April, 1940. I've only watched two episodes so far, and most of the action has taken place in Norway/Sweden, I'm liking it a lot. He's only been in the show maybe ten minutes so far, yet Kyle MacLachlan is doing a superb job as Roosevelt. The lady playing Martha is also quite good in the role, I find it fascinating to watch the tale being told from this perspective.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread