Open source things you might like to know about - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Open source things you might like to know about

Default Open source things you might like to know about

April 3rd, 2021, 18:54
I thought I might start a thread to mention the open source software I find useful, and would recommend. Sometimes these aren't very widely known, but I think a few people might be interested, if they're aware.

GrapheneOS

First off, I got a new phone, and I chose one that's supported by GrapheneOS. That's a special de-Googled and security hardened version of Android. It may be surprising that they only support the Google Pixel phones. But, the irony is that although Google's software is obviously intrusive, their security hardware is excellent, and far better than most phones. So, with Google's framework stripped out, and a few things tightened up, it's an extremely secure device. We're obviously giving up Google's apps and services, but some of us gladly forgo those, to maintain our privacy.

Freetube

All of Google's services, including Youtube, are becoming more of a pest in terms of trying to force you to create an identifiable account and sign in, so that they can track you better. Freetube is a desktop client for browsing Youtube and viewing videos, by downloading the information and media outside of the usual web interface. It lets you setup favourites, subscriptions, notifications, etc - but this data is held privately on your PC, and doesn't use a Google account. It's also possible to route all traffic through Tor, for stronger privacy.

It's in beta, and still a bit clunky, but I find it very usable. If it plays up, a restart usually fixes it.

Searx

This one is a bit more technical, since it requires you to set up your own server. Searx is designed to be your private web search engine, searching whatever selection of search providers you wish, and aggregating the results. When it communicates with the search providers, it uses a different browser fingerprint each time to prevent tracking, and never exposes the user to their tracking scripts. It can also be routed through TOR, to make sure there's no tracking going on.

I hope some might find these of use. If they are of interest, there's a quite a few more.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

April 16th, 2021, 23:36
Here's a site that diplays Reddit, but presents it in a cleaned up and readable form. I'm fairly sure they've made the Reddit site almost unreadable, to push people towards their software client, for better tracking.

Here's the Godot Reddit, through their frontend. You can also get browser addons that will always redirect Reddit to their version.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Open source things you might like to know about