Arkane Lyon's New Game DEATHLOOP

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
So ever wonder what Arkane has been up to since the Dishonored games. Apparently they were working on another game called DEATHLOOP. Here is the trailer.

DEATHLOOP is an innovative first person shooter launching exclusively for PlayStation 5 and PC from Arkane Lyon, the award-winning studio behind the critically acclaimed Dishonored franchise. Launching Holiday 2020!
Personally not excited. What about the rest of you?

Yeah, probably.
Alright why? Cause nothing in that trailer made me go wow I must play this. Bethesda was stupid not to fund another prey or dishonored game over this game.

So my first reaction was this.

Oh hey cool, so they took the most annoying part of Mooncrash and expanded it into an entire game. Great, great. Yeah, I'm super interested I guess. Whatever.:roll:

Kind of old news actually. I've read about the premise of the game, and I can't say I find it interesting. This might be the first game by Arkane I'm not excited about playing.

Alright why? Cause nothing in that trailer made me go wow I must play this. Bethesda was stupid not to fund another prey or dishonored game over this game.

So my first reaction was this.

Oh hey cool, so they took the most annoying part of Mooncrash and expanded it into an entire game. Great, great. Yeah, I'm super interested I guess. Whatever.:roll:

I heard you say you're weren't interested the first time.

I'd rather Arkane, a talented developer, make what they want to make, not act as an assembly line for a game that suits at Bethesda deem should be made.

I'm not totally sold on the game. I'm not usually into Groundhog Day scenarios as gameplay. But I've enjoyed too much of their output to write this off, and it does look stylish and the setting might be interesting.

It might be fun, but Arkane is going a completely different way so their name basically means nothing with this game. They've got to prove themselves all over again.

Plus a tad extra because I'll be muttering about "not Prey 2" while I read the hype.

I'll assume you meant to say "not Arx Fatalis 2"!
Nope - though I would be open to a cross-over game where the two worlds got combined.

Somehow.

Yeah he left right after Bethesda refused to fund another Dishonored/Prey and almost ruined Arkane.
Going by this game, I think you can strike the "almost" from your statement. It might turn out to be a reasonably good shooter, but it's not what many people would have been looking for from Arkane. There are plenty of other studios that could develop this sort of thing, but not many others doing the (old) Arkane thang.

At least he has his own studio and is working on a better game.

Weird West - https://www.pcgamer.com/weird-west-is-a-dark-rpg-made-up-of-five-interconnected-stories/
Coolio, I think that's available on XBOX gamepass.

Going by this game, I think you can strike the "almost" from your statement.
Wont remove it as the articles about this are still on the net. Arkane was almost shut down a few years back, and had to do other jobs for other Bethesda games.
Recently news broke that Dishonored was shelved for the foreseeable future. While this news was only just revealed to the world, Arkane in Lyon, France has known this for the past year. While my sources couldn’t say with certainty if this was what caused studio founder Raphaël Colantonio to disembark from the studio last year, it was stated that he left shortly after the pitch for both Dishonored 3 and Prey 2 had been turned down by Zenimax.

With Arkane Lyon’s flagship series put on hold, and with no other game approved to start production, the studio was broken into multiple teams. The first worked on Wolfenstein 2 DLC with Machine Games, while another team aided with the development of Wolfenstein Cyberpilot. A game as per a source that is “not great”. Meanwhile, any team members who weren’t working on Wolfenstein projects were left to prepare a project for a new and original game. A game, that as of July 2018, has yet to be officially green lit.

I was unable to gather any specifics as to what the current idea for a new game entailed, but I was informed that it’s being pitched with live service in mind. A direction that Zenimax is pushing for.

Across the pond in Texas, Arkane Austin is going through a similar conundrum.

The studio should be a year into development for Prey 2, but after weak sales of the first game — a game which was already under immense pressure to succeed after the financial disappointment that was Dishonored 2 — the pitch for a sequel was turned down.

Following the ‘disappointing’ releases of Dishonored 2 and Prey, Zenimax decided that they didn’t do well because no one buys single player games, a sentiment that one source stated was “dead ass wrong.” This mindset has led to a hard pivot by Zenimax to focus more on multiplayer and live service experiences, with only a few single player games in the pipeline.

On a positive note, it was expressed that we can expect something interesting coming out of Austin within the next 4 years. What that means was left a bit vague, as shortly after it was stressed that the studio is still struggling to figure out how to preserve immersive sim principles in a new format.

With Zenimax making life tough, the morale at both studios is low. More so when one considers how litigious Zenimax is, which has created an environment of fear where employees don’t feel safe speaking out.
This game was the secret project.

Arkane was almost shut down a few years back, and had to do other jobs for other Bethesda games.
This game was the secret project.
Aiiieee that's sad. I thought Dishonoured 2 was excellent, had no idea that it supposedly wasn't enough of a financial success for Beth.

Aiiieee that's sad. I thought Dishonoured 2 was excellent, had no idea that it supposedly wasn't enough of a financial success for Beth.
Whats funny is that 1-2 million sales don't mean much to a large publisher. They expect 4 million or more to call a game a success. Now smaller ones would call that a success.

From what data you can find Dishonored 2 and Prey sold at least two million each, but the expansion was a failure for Dishonored 2 that barely sold over 500,000.

I'm really growing to hate Zenimax/Bethesda Publishing. I wasn't among the people who thought Fallout moving to a first person, action combat model was sacrilege and would ruin the game, and I ended up very much enjoying Fallout 3 (and Obsidian's Fallout:NV). And though Morrowind remains my favorite Elder Scrolls, I got tons of mileage out of Skyrim, and to a lesser extent Oblivion.

But boy do they give off the stink of a company now being run by bean counters. Everything they do is calculated and bereft of creativity or even integrity. That pathetic pay to play Blades thing. Fallout 76. Even Fallout 4, which was barely an RPG. I'm not doubting that Zenimax thinks "single player games are dead" because all their recent actions fit that. BGS and Bioware, both dead in the water in 2020. I didn't see that coming 5 years ago.

But boy do they give off the stink of a company now being run by bean counters. Everything they do is calculated and bereft of creativity or even integrity. That pathetic pay to play Blades thing. Fallout 76. Even Fallout 4, which was barely an RPG. I'm not doubting that Zenimax thinks "single player games are dead" because all their recent actions fit that. BGS and Bioware, both dead in the water in 2020. I didn't see that coming 5 years ago.
Definitely agree. :nod:

If I remember correctly Zenimax hired some EA executive, and he brought the same philosophy they used towards publishing. Basically live services & micro-transactions.

Bethesda at least has two games with some type of SP in development. Another Elder Scroll game and Starfield. I don't know what type of MP service they will implement.

On the other-hand Zenimax Online is pumping out online expansions, and working on another Sc-fi MMO. The publishing side has shifted focus as well from SP.

Funny, Bethesda announced Deathloop on Twitter just now, so a bit late and it's just a 15-second video: https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1356633860394655745.
It wasn't even after Bioware's tweet, go figure.

The site exists, that's probably old news too, but there you are. :)

EDIT: indeed ;)

image.png

Back
Top Bottom