RPGWatch Feature - Battles of Norghan Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Forgottenlor took on a game, named Battles of Norghan that is perhaps not really an RPG, but is interesting enough to share with you by means of this review.

Its my first match against the Battle Dwarves. They share the lead of the 6th division with my team, the Manticores. My team consists of my star player, Torm, an aging Barbarian nearing retirement, who pretty much carried me through the 7th and 8th divisions; Otto, a young dwarf, one of the future core members of my team; Steel, an aging witch I picked up for a couple of games, but who I've decided to offer a full contract to. Her spell poison bolt is nice as it totally ignores armour, and the damage she does has decided many close matches; and lastly there's Genor, my elf. He's handy with a bow, and can cast lots of spells, but he's a new addition and at this point, the only one I've paid for hinm to learn is heal. On the other side are three dwarves. Two wear heavy armour and carry a shield. The other one has light armour and carries a two handed weapon. The lightly armored dwarf falls to my elf's bow before he can even reach my lines. I smile overconfidently. After all, my witch's poison has almost killed a second dwarf. The two remaining dwarves reach my lines. The poisoned one gets a critical head shot on Torm who dies before being able to strike a blow. Otto then drops Torm's killer with his two handed axe, but within two turns he falls to the remaining Battle Dwarf. My elf keeps hitting the last Battle Dwarf with his arrows, but can just barely puncture his armour. My witch fires one last poison bolt before running out of mana. Even though I just advanced to the first division, I still fondly remember the details of this match. At its best, Battles of Norghan is a thrilling mixture of sports manager, turn based tactical battle game, and rpg character development. Unfortunately, though, not all matches are as memorable as the one I described above.
More information.

Thanks forgottenlor.

Thanks for the review!
I have this in my library for a while now and always wanted to give it a shot. Alas, too many other games were higher up the list. One day maybe...

I played it first 10 years ago or so. It is fun for a while and worth a purchase.

But it is ultimately shallow. There really isn't more to it after the first few hours.

But I guess someone who's into sport management is fine with doing the exact same thing without end, so... who knows!

Looking at the Excel table sized ingame data sheets the developer apparently suffered strong brain-fart bouts..

Thanks for the review, @forgottenlor;! :)

Great review. I picked this up in a bundle in the last year or two but haven't tried it yet. Seems like it would be fun if I could get past the initial learning curve. Enjoyed reading your review though.

Thanks again Forgottenlor. I love your mini-reviews!

Thanks very much, Forgottenlor, I do enjoy your reviews. ... A truly unique game, not for me though. :)

Thanks Forgottenlor. Doesn't sound like the game is for me, but I enjoyed your review.

Back
Top Bottom