Game now crashes on save?

xenusfan

Traveler
*SPOILERS*

I have the Steam version of the game + Russian Sound Files (1.7GB) + Wesp's Unofficial Patch 1.8. Except for maybe 3 glitches in 30+ hours, the game has been running fine.

I'm up to the main story mission where you need to collect the 6 idols. I have one of them already and was going to finish the Mafia missions for Leonardas on the island east of Ballena before proceeding.

I am partway through the 'repel the guerrilla invaders' mission, up to the 'destroy the boats' task. If I now try to save during the mission, or after completing it and receiving the reward (new game or overwrite), the game crashes. Access Violation.

Has this happened to anyone else!? :(

I have lots of backup saves at least, but…

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I played this, but I can't remember having reproducable crashes anywhere. I can only recommend to not use some tricks to visit the island for which you need the idols before you have them and to not try to reach the final island before the time is right...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! It seems I have no choice but to revert to some earlier saves (?). I'll try that.

Wesp5 said:
I can only recommend to not use some tricks to visit the island for which you need the idols before you have them and to not try to reach the final island before the time is right…

Is that the island in the South-East? I read about it & stormy weather in your patch notes and have so far avoided it completely.

I had to visit the island in the North-East to get the stone slab which later informs you about the idols in the first place.

Regards,

Is that the island in the South-East? I read about it & stormy weather in your patch notes and have so far avoided it completely.

The final island is protected by a storm, yes, at least any flying vehicle crashes when getting too close. But you can skip the idol door by crashing a plane over the walls and climbing in. Which later brings the game to a stop as an important lever won't work.

I think I'll have to avoid this mission. :(

As soon as I defeat the last group of invaders prior to the 'destroy the boats' task, two things happen:

1. With my relations with the Mafia at 100% & my being sure to kill only guerrilla fighters, the Mafia regard me as an enemy & start shooting at me. I know factions can turn on you mid-mission if you shoot them - this isn't the case here.

2. My saved games start taking significantly longer to load. Prior to this objective (boats) everything is fine. I can save and reload normally.

There is something amiss.

I am now planning to reload earlier saves & avoid this mission altogether. Hopefully, I can still finish the game.

EDIT: I finally managed to save my progress after the above mission and now the Mafia have such a visceral hatred of me for NO DISCERNIBLE REASON (relations 90%+) I cannot claim my reward, or leave the island else I get blown up by seemingly scripted helicopter missiles. I am just about to give up on this…

EDIT: I escaped the island! Went a long way away, then returned. The Mafia liked me again on return, I got the reward and the game seems to be saving ok. That was nerve-wracking!

Last edited:
Well, I just experienced Xenus 2: The Final Insult.

I ran past all the Indians on the final South-East island (finding hiding spots & healing several times), reached the top of the pyramid. Loading…

The game crashes before playing the final cut-scene. :D C++ Runtime error. I watched the ending on YouTube.

That was pretty fun. The story wasn't as engaging as Boiling Point, but I got my money's worth!

EDIT: The endgame cut-scene plays if I run the game, then load my final save without doing anything else beforehand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom