RPGWatch Feature - Vigilantes Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Vigilantes Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Vigilantes Review

February 14th, 2019, 13:19
Here is Forgottenlor's take on Vigilantes, which he found to be competent, but limited in scope.

The new X-COM (2012) showed that there was a market for turn based tactical games, and since then a number of indie developers either inspired by the remake of such classics as the original X-COM and Jagged Alliance have tried their hand at tactical games with varying degrees of success. Vigilantes is one of the latest of those attempts. To its credit Vigilantes tries something a little different, as its cast of protagonists aren't soldiers, but a small group of private citizens who have declared war on the gangs which have control of their city. Vigilantes avoids the apocalyptic mood that runs through a lot of tactics game, preferring a pulp fiction approach with a set cast of characters. Vigilantes was made by a small dedicated indie team, who managed to put out an extremely competent game, but one limited in scope.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 13:49
Thanks for the detailed review.

If it matters, I'm one of it's KS backers.
The game is a very interesting setup but IMO it went complicating things too much. Care for MC, care for recruits, care for base, care for ammo, care for everything as if it was a roguelike survival game - on a positive side there is no food micromanagement.
The "map of the city" practically killed the game for me, escaping linearity is always a good choice but in here wasn't executed well. What, where and why should I go next? Especially why. Never got an answer I'll be satisfied with.

Not saying the game is not fun. It's just trying to do too many things at the same time and a player can easily get overwhelmed then put it on hold just to clear thoughts with stupefying products like Candy Crush Saga. Sometimes less is more, here's hope a potential sequel will address it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 15:49
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
The game is a very interesting setup but IMO it went complicating things too much. Care for MC, care for recruits, care for base, care for ammo, care for everything as if it was a roguelike survival game
Yeah, the horror!
An X-Com like tactical game where you have to take care of buying weapons, ammo and level up your 8 (Or was it 9?) characters. And in the most simple way possible (everything upgrades linearly and there are no choices besides setting which character goes for what weapon type).
It's just too much to handle. They should have reduced the number of characters to one, and no leveling up or weapons to handle. Maybe also remove health. And enemies. That would have gotten rid of all the nuisances.

Seriously, though, if at all, the game would have needed more depth, not less. Everything you mention is WAY less deep than it is in comparable games like X-Com or Xenonauts. To the point where it comes off as a "child's first management" game.
If that is overwhelming to anyone, then they should indeed stick to Candy Crush…

It really speaks for the developer that despite the simplicity of all systems, the game does manage to be a challenge on the higher difficulties. You can't waste any time and really have to try and get hit as little as possible (in other games, that doesn't matter at all as long as the characters survive).

Besides the lack of depth and scope, I agree that the map is one of its biggest flaws, it just isn't all too motivating to just pick a (more or less) random block and "improve" it. A more mission-driven approach would have been better.

But from what I read the dev say himself, he's aware of all these issues. It was simply a budget restraint in the end. It was basically like this, or not at all.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 15:57
I'm also a sponsor of this game, and I've been waiting for the updates to cease before actually playing it. If it is one hundred percent finished as of now, it might be the next game I delve into. Thanks for the review, it looks pretty much what I thought it would be, although the length of the game is somewhat disappointing to read about.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 16:42
Thanks for this review. I agree pretty much 100% with your analysis. This is a flawed gem but definitely worth playing. The dev really accomplished an amazing amount with few resources.

I had zero problem with the management aspects of the game. IMO, Vigilantes would have seriously suffered if that aspect was any less complicated.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 16:45
I also KSed it. I am also one of those that have not played it. Since I got other games to play I might as well wait until devs patch it to version they are satisfied with.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 17:29
thank you for this review Forgottenlor !
it will be on my to play list from now on.
--
Everyone thinks i am crazy, but i am just adjusting to my environment.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPGWatcher
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 14th, 2019, 22:01
To all those waiting: The game functions very smoothly and I didn't run into any bugs or performance issues during my playthrough. So unless the developer is planning to add/test new features, I don't see any purpose of waiting beyond having a long list of games in your backlog that you'd rather finish first.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2019, 23:58
If you follow his updates (or maybe it was on his Steam forum?), he has said he intends to make a few more combat improvements. I personally had a problem with enemies being really spaced out on the map, like an almost even distribution of units all 30 feet apart. Meaning I was usually able to pick them off one or two at a time, severely reducing the challenge. That's one thing I think he was planning to address.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 15th, 2019, 17:40
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
If you follow his updates (or maybe it was on his Steam forum?), he has said he intends to make a few more combat improvements. I personally had a problem with enemies being really spaced out on the map, like an almost even distribution of units all 30 feet apart. Meaning I was usually able to pick them off one or two at a time, severely reducing the challenge. That's one thing I think he was planning to address.
That makes sense. In the non-set encounters it felt like the enemies were randomly seeded.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2019, 19:30
Good interview @forgottenlor.

Seems I'm a day late as usual though had a busy day/family emergency yesterday. I played the game last year so it would be a few patches back, but found it enjoyable.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Last edited by Couchpotato; February 15th, 2019 at 21:20.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

February 15th, 2019, 21:18
Sounds like I'll be waiting a bit longer to try this one out, good thing I found something else to amuse me for now.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

February 15th, 2019, 23:56
Thanks for the review @forgottenlor!

As to updates, it's likely there will be a few more. They won't hugely change the game and will emphasize new content like perks, items, and more newspaper articles/diary entries.
--
Developer of Vigilantes and Deadstone
Last edited by Timeslip; February 16th, 2019 at 00:08.

Timeslip

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 16th, 2019, 12:32
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Good interview @forgottenlor.

Seems I'm a day late as usual though had a busy day/family emergency yesterday. I played the game last year so it would be a few patches back, but found it enjoyable.
I hope your emergency turned out okay.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2019, 00:49
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
I hope your emergency turned out okay.
Turned out fine but had a nine hour hospital stay. Thanks for asking.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

March 1st, 2019, 21:34
Hi all - an update has just been release for Vigilantes, which adds 4 new perks, 5 new utility items, 2 new weapons and more. Full release notes can be found here.

It's also 20% off on Steam at the minute!
--
Developer of Vigilantes and Deadstone

Timeslip

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 2nd, 2019, 01:21
Nice review @forgottenlor. This was on my radar and now I've decided to pass on it due to several factors. Thanks for helping me make that decision bro!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Vigilantes Review