Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Reviews - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Reviews

Default Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Reviews

August 18th, 2019, 09:38
Farflame spotted some reviews for Age of Wonders: Planetfall:

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

August 18th, 2019, 10:25
Hm, pretty good reception so far. Cool.
The main thing that still puts me off is the DLC / Add-on cost (i.e., base game + season pass or the premium edition). A rather typical Paradox sales model, unfortunately.

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

August 18th, 2019, 18:31
And I think that's the reason for what looked to me to be a rather tepid response in the Steam reviews. If the game weren't chopped up as much as it is, I think it would've fared better there.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 18th, 2019, 19:51
I will hold off on this one for the time being. Haven't even played the latest AoW yet, which also seems to be pretty good. Also, don't like the space dwarfs they have as a faction.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 18th, 2019, 21:08
AoW is my favorite 4X series. But this setting somehow doesn't grab me.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Jedi: Fallen Order

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 19th, 2019, 02:49
Good to see such high ratings, but like others have said Paradox and their pile of DLC for games makes me want to wait and see what is coming down the pipe. As well I am still chewing away on AoW 3 so I have time to wait.

Terry

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 19th, 2019, 04:06
Haven't put that many hours into it so far but it mostly feel like a simplified AoW3 with swapped textures so you shoot lasers instead of arrows/magic.
Which isn't bad really but with the final price tag being unknown and it mostly feeling like a reskin I wouldn't currently recommend it to anyone I know.

I did however have a great time as a lover of both AoW and scifi. So looking forward to take another peak once everything has been added, and likely buy any bundle sale with the dlc.

six

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 19th, 2019, 06:40
That type of sales model is the reality these days. I spend probably $300-500 a year on game purchases so I have no problems paying for games I want to play. I was able to get it about 20% discounted through another retailer so it's all good.

My next day one purchase? Greedfall next month. Hey the overtime is good so I have plenty to spend!

jpnole

Watchdog

August 19th, 2019, 09:49
I just started this. It didn't grab right from the start the way previous AoWs did, but it seems worth playing, so I'll keep going.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

August 19th, 2019, 15:15
i bought it at full price (it doesn't happen often for me) and i don't regret it. I like the changes in combat, more xcomesque.

They Live

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 20th, 2019, 02:40
With Paradox games I just wait until its run its DLC cycle and buy the final/gold/platinum/other specially named version. There a lots of good games out there, and I don't need to play one the minute its released.

azsinistar

Watcher

August 20th, 2019, 14:04
A good philosophy generally, but if you'd done that with Crusader Kings II, which also happens to be possibly the best game I have played, you'd be waiting about 6 years now and counting.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 20th, 2019, 15:53
Originally Posted by azsinistar View Post
With Paradox games I just wait until its run its DLC cycle and buy the final/gold/platinum/other specially named version. There a lots of good games out there, and I don't need to play one the minute its released.
I am the opposite. I play a lot of games, so if the vanilla games isn't worth playing, no dlc is going to save it for me. If I start playing the vanilla game and really like it, I may pick up a dlc, and only then if I look at it and think it would be something which would motivate me to do another playthrough. I do rarely buy dlc bundles on old games if they are really cheap. For example I bought the 3rd dlc for Pathfinder:Kingmaker, because I think it would be fun to play it through in dungeon crawler mode, and bought the dlcs for Battle Brothers, which I will replay in any case. Both of those are such great games, that the developers deserve the extra money.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

August 22nd, 2019, 11:24
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I just started this. It didn't grab right from the start the way previous AoWs did, but it seems worth playing, so I'll keep going.
And now it's hooked me completely. "One more turn" has kicked in, so I'm having trouble going to bed at night..

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

August 22nd, 2019, 15:41
Did the game get better or did you just get addicted ?

And now it's hooked me completely. "One more turn" has kicked in, so I'm having trouble going to bed at night..

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

August 23rd, 2019, 09:57
Originally Posted by you View Post
Did the game get better or did you just get addicted ?
It grew on me. It's a bit overwhelming in the start, and there's way too much stuff to cover in a tutorial or similar. Really enjoying most aspects now. There are definite drawbacks though, but the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin in my opinion.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

August 23rd, 2019, 15:31
So the game is more complex than AOW-3 ?

It grew on me. It's a bit overwhelming in the start, and there's way too much stuff to cover in a tutorial or similar. Really enjoying most aspects now. There are definite drawbacks though, but the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin in my opinion.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

August 26th, 2019, 10:46
Originally Posted by you View Post
So the game is more complex than AOW-3 ?
I would say so, yes. Units can now be modded by a huge number of mods, changing their style of play quite a lot. Also, high end units require a rather limited resource, so there's no way to just create huge stacks of top tier units, meaning you have to create more balanced armies.

The diplomatic aspect appears a bit easier though, so it's often entirely viable to either win through diplomacy, or ensure that you never fight more than 1-2 enemies at a time. I have yet to encounter any maps in the campaign where I felt as swarmed as I did in the AoW3 campaign.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 27th, 2019, 12:44
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
A good philosophy generally, but if you'd done that with Crusader Kings II, which also happens to be possibly the best game I have played, you'd be waiting about 6 years now and counting.
And discounting how easier it is to learn how to play when starting from the start and over the course of six years.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Reviews