New game launchers installed, yay! - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New game launchers installed, yay!

Default New game launchers installed, yay!

October 1st, 2019, 16:49
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
I don't have an answer other than financial restraint and telling them you won't buy their product with their launcher. They do it because they can.
Sadly I think the ship has sailed on this as well. I think "launcher" or really data collection is here to stay if want the internet. Like you said before, most people have accepted this (50 or so apps on mobile and hence now PC) so the companies can get way with them and financial restraint is not going to hurt them at all.

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 22:56
Let's see I have Steam, Gog, Ubi, Bethesda.net, Blizzard (not Dairy Queen), and Ubisoft so far. I haven't found an Epic game yet that I've needed to buy. I've bought more games and yet played less hours than ever before. I see myself leaving my gaming days behind eventually as even my favorite games don't hold my attention for more than a few hours each anymore.

I've replaced gaming with ever more reading. My kindle library is over 2000 books now, mostly just rented not purchased, and I read royalroad, fictionpress and web serials too.
I also play (piano/keyboards) and listen to a lot of music. I should probably write with as much as I read…
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

October 1st, 2019, 23:48
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I haven't found an Epic game yet that I've needed to buy.
There'll be an exclusive survival game there one day, and you'll be right there buddy

I've bought more games and yet played less hours than ever before.
Same.
My "high-priority MUST play" list is ridiculously long, yet I find myself more and more doing other things, and not really getting as far as I'd like in any of them. I'd like time to stop for a few years, so I can catch up with life.
So many books, so much family stuff, so many programming things, so many games. I also want to get back into PnP RPG stuff, so I've been reading a bit of that, too.
TOO MUCH STUFF.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 11:56
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Game launchers = DRM + Spyware.
But everyone is getting used to them.
Just like Windows Metrics, and every mobile app you install.
I have always included Steam into the same category, personally.

Let's see I have Steam, Gog, Ubi, Bethesda.net, Blizzard (not Dairy Queen), and Ubisoft so far.
I have only GOG and Steam, Ubi which I don't use these days, and … doi MMO Launchers count, too ?
I don't use Steam often, either. Especially since I have fun with other games (DDO right now) these days. I have my favourite "steam" games on GOG, too. So that i can avoid Steam as much as possible.
GOG is the only one I more frequently use.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New game launchers installed, yay!