Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!) - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)

Default Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)

September 20th, 2019, 23:17
Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?
It's currently 50% off on Steam, and free to play for the next two days.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 20th, 2019, 23:19
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?
It's currently 50% off on Steam, and free to play for the next two days.
Had my eye on this for long time. Would only play it like single player or solo server mode tho. Not interested in pop.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

September 26th, 2019, 02:41
I played it for about 20 hours. It didn't have interesting enough survival elements for me. Nice female body models though
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

October 8th, 2019, 19:35
Has anyone here played Generation Zero? I've heard it described as a survival looter-shooter. Looks like it could be fun.

It's 50% off right now at GMG. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

October 8th, 2019, 21:48
I haven't tried that one, @JDR13. Let us know what you think if you take the plunge. The biggest complaint was a total of 4 hotkeys and lots of items to be used. Everything has to be hot-keyed before you can use it so you're constantly swapping out items. The other complaint was that SP was pretty boring.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

November 1st, 2019, 05:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Has anyone here played Generation Zero? I've heard it described as a survival looter-shooter. Looks like it could be fun.

It's 50% off right now at GMG. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
It's free to play this weekend, if you want to try it out.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

+1:

November 2nd, 2019, 05:49
Well, I tried it for an hour.
Overall, it has a beautifully rendered environment (seriously stunning at times) with not much to do in it.

There is no building or crafting, so any systems that are needed to support that sort of thing are missing (i.e. no cutting down trees, etc, or gathering of crafting resources)
Sure there are "vehicle stations", but all that seemed to be spawnable were bicycles. A wiki I found seemed to indicate that that is all that is currently available (??).
Intact cars and trucks are all over the place, but while you can open their doors and have a look inside, none are drive-able.

There doesn't appear to be any thirst/hunger stuff going on.

The robot enemies are cool, and the gun play seems reasonably satisfying, if frustrating. I died a lot, but I guess that should be expected when trying to use a puny 9mm pistol or bolt action against a bunch of machine-gunning robots.
One thing that annoyed me was that the ironsights seemed way too close to the face, like I'm holding my pistol against my cheekbone while looking down the sights.

There is a very rudimentary main quest and side quests of the "you find a note that tells you where an empty house with stuff in it is" type.

There are no NPCs, as far as I can tell.

I imagine some enjoyment can be gotten out of wandering the beautiful landscape, exploring locations, gathering better weapons, and fighting/avoiding robots, but if you want more than that out of a survival game, there isn't much here for you. Perhaps there's more to it, but I'm not interrupting The Outer Worlds any longer to find out.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

+1:

November 2nd, 2019, 11:55
I'm also doing the free weekend for Generation Zero.

Other than the atmosphere, which has a cool 80's retro vibe, I'm not finding many things good about it. I've only played for a couple of hours though and solo. I'm guessing it's probably significantly more fun in co-op.

There are no NPCs, as far as I can tell.
Yeah, it appears they took the Fallout 76 route there. There are no living NPCs in the game despite the main quest having you search for survivors. I might try co-op with some random players tomorrow and see how that feels.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 4th, 2019, 01:21
I got busy and wasn't able to try co-op before the free trial ended. I might purchase it during a future sale, but that will probably depend on if a lot of people are still playing it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 4th, 2019, 18:01
Anytime I look for an early access survival game, I look for reviews with over 50 hours played. If it doesn't have many, then I generally skip those games until I start seeing more such reviews. This stops me from picking up a cash grab game. I've been burned too many times in the past by buying a game that has maybe 5 hours of content.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

January 28th, 2020, 05:52
I almost purchased Mist Survival today after seeing it on sale on Steam. It looks decent, but I'm glad I checked this thread first. I'll trust that it's better to pass.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 22nd, 2020, 20:26
Hmm, bad nut takes too long to answer questions: On Mist Survival, the game is quite a bit of fun until you stop seeing new places. Unfortunately, that can be in 6 hours or less. When I played there was maybe half a dozen POI's and there just wasn't enough content to pay money to play.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

May 27th, 2020, 02:16
New Survival game; at least for me. It's called Wayward and here is the Steam blurb:

Wayward is a challenging turn-based, top-down, wilderness survival roguelike.

My Steam review:

Wayward is a pixel graphic survival game. If you can get past the extremely basic artwork, you'll enjoy several hours of survival goodness.

There is an interesting game mechanic that I've never seen before. The land is quasi-sentient; if you do things that align with nature (such as planting crops and building things that will help nurture the land) the islands are less dangerous. Of course the opposite is true also. If you're constantly mining, killing non-hostile creatures, and cutting down the forest, the islands will start sending tougher and tougher creatures and eventually flat out monsters to end your journey. Is the mechanic fun? I'm ambivalent about it. It is different though.

Outside of that, the game plays like any other survival game. There are skills to learn, creatures to tame or kill and the occasional piece of treasure from previous excursions. You'll need to gather certain treasures in your bid to get back to civilization. I've dumped almost 50 hours into it and that's in spite of me hating low-graphic games.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

May 27th, 2020, 02:46
Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?.
Bit of a late reply, but, I had a lot fun with it. Just sucks you can't open boss treasure chests until you're level 60.

The same devs are actually working on a Dune game which will be similar to Conan and released alongside the movie remake, I think.

It's been decades since I read them, but I was a huge fan of the books so between how much I enjoyed CE and how much I like Dune I'm pretty hyped to get a look at this game.

The movie is being done by the director who did the new Bladerunner movie so it should be pretty good.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

June 9th, 2020, 00:12
Green Project review:

So, you're a guy that was jettisoned into space in hibernation. You finally crash land on Earth after a few hundred years and the place is wasteland with almost no vegetation. The goal of the game is to survive and reseed the world.

This game is hard to review. Since it's so cheap, you want to give it a pass. However, the bottom line is whether or not the game is fun and it really isn't. It starts off okay, but there are a ton of times where there is basically nothing at all to do because you are waiting for items to grow and there is very, very limited items to do anything with during the beginning of the game. I imagine most folks will get just past the refund period and realize there isn't much game here. The game needs to at least double in content and it needs to shore up the crafting times with the inventory.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 22nd, 2020, 22:11
Stranded Deep - This starts out with you as the only passenger of a private jet that crashes in the ocean. You jump in a lifeboat and are close to a small island (randomly generated but with the same rough stuff in each beginning). You can play with the tutorial, which will greatly help you survive the first day, or skip it and figure things out on your own.

First day is completely typical for the genre. You'll need fire, fresh water, a shelter and other common staples. The sea is the big challenge of this game. You will see shipwrecks almost everywhere and you can see other islands on the horizon. This game actually has an end goal, which I think is to build a vehicle from various parts you find on the wrecks. Your enemies are the various sharks that inhabit the tropical waters. There are other enemies; including land based, but no humans or zombies. This is PVE.

I'm not a big fan of the limited inventory and the default islands are somewhat dull. Fortunately, this game has Steam Workshop and a bunch of island maps that you can swap out the originals with for added value. There are also a couple inventory mods that boost how much you can stack/backpack slot. Nothing ridiculous. Say 8 sticks instead of four, etc.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)