Steam multiple libraries - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Steam multiple libraries

Default Steam multiple libraries

October 10th, 2019, 05:22
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but…

I've just made another steam library - I originally used E drive but I created another one in F drive now.

The question is, if the game is installed in E drive and there's a new patch out, do I have to manually switch back the installation drive to E or does it auto detect which of the two drives the game is installed?
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)

October 10th, 2019, 05:27
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question butů

I've just made another steam library - I originally used E drive but I created another one in F drive now.

The question is, if the game is installed in E drive and there's a new patch out, do I have to manually switch back the installation drive to E or does it auto detect which of the two drives the game is installed?
It auto-detects.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

October 10th, 2019, 05:30
Oh, that's a relief. Thanks!
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

October 10th, 2019, 08:43
Thanks for the info. I never knew this was even possible.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 10th, 2019, 09:10
One more (useful) piece of information (which you may already know). Steam can quickly move installed games from one library to another, whithout having to uninstall/reinstall. Useful if you are short of SSD-capacity. You can move games between SSD and HDD libraries as needed.

pibbur who didn't know about this until a couple of months agao.

pibbur who

Mentioned: Post(s)

October 10th, 2019, 11:16
Oh, I didn't know - thanks for that pibbur!!
--

purpleblob

Princess

October 10th, 2019, 11:52
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
One more (useful) piece of information (which you may already know). Steam can quickly move installed games from one library to another, whithout having to uninstall/reinstall. Useful if you are short of SSD-capacity. You can move games between SSD and HDD libraries as needed.

pibbur who didn't know about this until a couple of months agao.
This does not work for all the games. I have EQ2 installed on my old driver and there is no option to move it new drive. Only option is full reinstall.

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

October 10th, 2019, 12:01
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
This does not work for all the games. I have EQ2 installed on my old driver and there is no option to move it new drive. Only option is full reinstall.
Ok, didn't know that, never run into that problem. Good to know so I don't desperately look for the option in the case I can't see one.

I looked at a couple of games I've installed. So far, the only game I found that I couldn't move was Elder Scrolls on-line. This actually make sense, since that game is not updated by Steam, but directly from the web site.

pibbur

pibbur who

Mentioned: Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Steam multiple libraries