Groundhog Day gets a sequel as a VR videogame

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...is-a-competent-vr-sequel-to-the-beloved-movie
Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son is a competent VR sequel to the beloved movie

I'm not interested in VR, but videogames industry needs to get into the time loop genre already.
Time loop as genre existed long before Groundhog Day. As a concept it doesn't really work in form of a book, but as comics and filmed material it can be the peak of the art (in quite a few examples, sadly, it was abused and turned into nonsensical junk).

Anyway, a few nonVR time loop games are expected to be released soon.
I have no idea how those will actually work (it'd be bad if you can pull out of a repeated time interval by sheer luck and "fastrun" the game, on the other hand if each instance you have to close only in one way then it gets linear and breaks the idea of doing things every time differently). Can't wait to see one myself.
Helmetless. ;)

Moderator: Shouldn't this be moved to Joxer's off topic bullshit thread ? I mean even if the game was an rpg, which is unlikely, Joxer comment is more inline with the normal bullshit he puts in his bullshit thread.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...is-a-competent-vr-sequel-to-the-beloved-movie

I'm not interested in VR, but videogames industry needs to get into the time loop genre already.
Time loop as genre existed long before Groundhog Day. As a concept it doesn't really work in form of a book, but as comics and filmed material it can be the peak of the art (in quite a few examples, sadly, it was abused and turned into nonsensical junk).

I have no idea how those will actually work (it'd be bad if you can pull out of a repeated time interval by sheer luck and "fastrun" the game, on the other hand if each instance you have to close only in one way then it gets linear and breaks the idea of doing things every time differently). Can't wait to see one myself.
Helmetless. ;)

Helmetless. ;)

Look into Outer Wilds.

A game with replay potential? :p

Seems like Happy Death Day would have more gaming potential.

There was a pretty decent groundhog day type book on royalroad. In it a young mage wannabe goes to school and gets caught in a time warp that keeps taking him back to the day he first entered the school. Each session lasts a month or so before starting over, so he eventually becomes a decent mage but still hasn't figured out the whole reason for the resets. Hmmm....https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21220/mother-of-learning

Sorry but that's bullshit. :)

The only possible case where mushrooms can feel more natural than k+m is 2D car racing games. Car. Not 3D racing games like submarine races, helicopter races and definetly not spaceship races.

If a game however shills for mushrooms like a local drug dealer lurking around schools, then it's developers either incapable to do their job properly or forbidden to make proper k+m controls.

To be a 100% sure what's better to "drive" Enterprise, Death Star, XD-1 and Sulaco, maybe we should check with NASA?
What's the point however, you'll never accept it as cordless keyboards and mice don't exist in your local shops.

Sorry but that's bullshit. :)

The only possible case where mushrooms can feel more natural than k+m is 2D car racing games. Car. Not 3D racing games like submarine races, helicopter races and definetly not spaceship races.
Those are all controlled using analog devices (wheels, pedals, sticks, yokes, rudders…) in real life. Games are trying to simulate that. Any analog controller, including "mushrooms" will be more natural than a digital keyboard.

If a game however shills for mushrooms like a local drug dealer lurking around schools, then it's developers either incapable to do their job properly or forbidden to make proper k+m controls.
Not all games are designed for kb+m, and they don't need to be. Driving games are designed for wheels, flight simulators for flight sticks, etc. Gamepads, while not perfect, can better fill those roles than digital keyboards. There are some analog keyboards, but they are to expensive, not implemented well, and are not well supported by games. A simple $30 gamepad works quite well.

To be a 100% sure what's better to "drive" Enterprise, Death Star, XD-1 and Sulaco, maybe we should check with NASA?

Computer games can now be played with all the precision and sensitivity needed for a safe and soft Space Shuttle touchdown. And for good reason. A game controlling joystick for personal computer-based entertainment has been designed after the flight controllers used onboard NASA's piloted spacecraft.

Analog ontroler, aka joystick. Not WASD.
What's the point however, you'll never accept it as cordless keyboards and mice don't exist in your local shops.
This has nothing to do with them being cordless or playing from the couch or whatever. It's about analog vs digital controls. If you want to deny reality because of your irrational hatred towards a piece of technology, that's fine, but don't whine about there not being "games like X" if you're going to discard any game presented to you because "they are designed for mushrooms".

Thanks for the head slam. :)
I've dug a hole and then dropped in it by myself. Why did I expect tons of $ wasted on pen in space instead of pencil could produce something better when it comes to 3D controls.

Could be irrational but will never disappear. My hatred towards mushrooms.
Call it whine, I call it thumb down within steam minireviews.

Irrelevant note, I had to waste a year in the army over here ages ago and am trained to use this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M14_Malyutka
It was the old version, wired one. That is driven with - a mushroom on an attached pad.
While modern versions of it and other similar weaponry are now automatized, when it comes to manual control, I'd still "drive" more efficiently with k+m if such pad existed. Sadly, the rocket has no PS/2 nor USB port.

Back
Top Bottom