Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC

Default Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC

October 4th, 2019, 17:00
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswi…C-November-5th

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to pre-order at the Epic Games store, Greenman Gaming, the Humble Store, GameStop and additional digital retailers starting October 23rd with a pre-order bonus of 25 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will also be available to purchase on Steam this December.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 4th, 2019, 17:01
I just saw the announcement. GOD I"M FUCKING HAPPY! And it's also coming to steam, one month later.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 4th, 2019, 19:20
Looking forward to this. I hope it will rapidly drop in price on release. Unlikely if I look at gta 5.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 4th, 2019, 21:37
If I do pick this one up, it will be after it arrives on either great old games or steam. If it has some online requirement, then I'll likely just do without.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

October 4th, 2019, 23:32
Excellent news.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 05:03
Really wondering if the first game will get released along with this.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 08:48
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Really wondering if the first game will get released along with this.
I'd be shocked if that happened. Publishers aren't known for porting older console games for the sake of having the complete series on PC.

Then again, I'm still really surprised they're porting RDR 2.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 15:39
From what I hear, it helps to have played RDR1 before 2. It isn't just another in a series of unrelated games - playing Final Fantasy 6 doesn't help you understand Final Fantasy 7, for instance.

Though 2 is a prequel so maybe they will expect us to play in reverse? It worked for Yakuza.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

October 5th, 2019, 15:53
Yakuza is not a good example. Unlike Final Fantasy, Yakuza is singleplayer only series.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 16:36
I also would hope that the first game would make the transition to computer format. I'd buy both.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

October 5th, 2019, 19:44
I remember hearing a gaming podcast where someone close to an insider of Rockstar said something along the lines of "the source code of RDR1 is not in an great state to easily allow compilation to PC architecture". And yeah, XBox360 & PS3 had a lot different architectures than PS4 and XBoxOne which, from what I remember reading, are basically x86 architectures. So it would make sense.

It's obvious that if they could easily do it, they'd port RDR1 to PC immediately for the revenue they would gain.

I've got RDR1 on PS3, but could not for the life of me complete it due to the controller. I hate aiming on a controller. And RDR is quite action focused. So I
d love a pc port. My next best choice is PS Now, but unfortunately it's not available in my country yet. Damn you Sony!

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2019, 20:53
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
From what I hear, it helps to have played RDR1 before 2. It isn't just another in a series of unrelated games - playing Final Fantasy 6 doesn't help you understand Final Fantasy 7, for instance.
It would probably help to play Destiny before Destiny 2 or the previous GoW titles before GoW 5. Publishers don't care about things like that though. If they don't think their profit margin will be enough to justify the cost of porting it, they're not going to port it.

There's that PS3 emulator though. I haven't checked on it in awhile, but I heard they're making good progress on it.

Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I've got RDR1 on PS3, but could not for the life of me complete it due to the controller. I hate aiming on a controller. And RDR is quite action focused. So I
d love a pc port. My next best choice is PS Now, but unfortunately it's not available in my country yet. Damn you Sony!
Does playing RDR 1 on a PS4 upscale the image?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 5th, 2019, 21:08
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Does playing RDR 1 on a PS4 upscale the image?
From what I know you can't play PS3 on PS4. They're not compatible, and PS4 doesn't offer backwards compatibility like XBox One does. Only via PS Now, but then it doesn't run on your console. It's streamed to it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2019, 22:04
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
From what I know you can't play PS3 on PS4. They're not compatible, and PS4 doesn't offer backwards compatibility like XBox One does. Only via PS Now, but then it doesn't run on your console. It's streamed to it.
Ah…that's too bad. I knew it could be played on PS4, but I didn't realize it required a PSNow subscription. I already have too many games to pay $20 a month for a service I would rarely use.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 6th, 2019, 01:08
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
If they don't think their profit margin will be enough to justify the cost of porting it, they're not going to port it.
Quite so - can't go spending 2 million on porting RDR1 when you only expect to get 1 million back. That's just the thing, though - the more the games are linked, the more likely they are to make their money back. There's certainly no reason to do it with Grand Theft Auto, for instance.

Well, this game is coming out pretty soon so we'll find out in just a few weeks.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

October 6th, 2019, 15:04
RDR1 is not mmo nor has any mmo in the bundle.
Forget seeing any port. Rockstar doesn't port singleplayer only games any more for several years already.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)

October 7th, 2019, 10:33
Cool. I might be giving this a pop this Christmas, unless something else gets in the way.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 7th, 2019, 22:26
For me, I'll schedule this after Mechwarrior 5 (if no further delays happen, or some other surprises pop up).

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 9th, 2019, 15:42
sysreqs

--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 9th, 2019, 15:52
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
sysreqs

The 150gigs is astounding. Overall quite low requirements imo.
Also: yeehaa!! I'm probably also gonna get it on Steam ultimately, but I can't wait a whole month.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC