Mass Effect 4 - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Unigamesity has an article explaining why Mass Effect 4 should be a sequel.

There are absolutely no doubts about the continuity of the Mass Effect (ME) series, the fourth game has been announced and it’s currently being developed by the KOTOR team despite the conclusion of Commander Shepard’s story. The protagonist’s purpose is complete; the hero has fulfilled his mission and saved the galaxy from the reaper supremacy. What’s entirely unknown, however, is the upcoming’s narrative content and structure, is it going to be a prequel or a sequel? In fact, it could be both but a sequel would be the most logical option for the series and the hardest one to create as well, since articulating a new future based on the past events of the previous three games is far more complicated than creating a prequel, a brand new world with basically no connections with the world that is yet to come. It does seem a disadvantage point but what do players prefer? Do they want to see an enthusiastic sequel, where they get the chance to explore how the galaxy rebuilt itself after the reaper invasion or do they want a predictable prequel, where understanding the organic alliances seems to be the only preponderant point to consider before Shepard’s dominance.
Lastly twinfinite has more info on a comic called Mass Effect Foundation that is meant to set the stage for the next game.

Mass Effect fans, eat your hearts out, we’ve heard unconfirmed rumblings that Mass Effect Foundation is meant to set the stage for the next game. For those unaware, Dark Horse Comics has published the first issue of Mass Effect Foundation, a 13 part comic series written by Mac Walters, on July 24th. Walters was the lead writer on Mass Effect 2 and 3, and has openly said he is actively working on the next Mass Effect game. In order to not spoil anything about Foundation, there’s not much that can be said about the plot other than it is enjoyable and there is a clear link to the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3, though probably not the first one that pops in most players’ minds who played it.

If this is indeed a prelude to the next Mass Effect game, it could mean many things. Given the timeline, it could be a prequel, which many fans have expressed displeasure in, though only being issue one leaves a lot that could happen to pass time. Again, leaving out spoilers really negates any real discussion to be had at this point, but I personally have liked what I’ve read so far and plan on grabbing future issues.
More information.

All the love to Bioware, but they could not pull off a sequel that did not cheapen or cheese up Shepherd's story still further. There is no way.

It should be a first contact prequel. There is lots of established material that could provide stories to expand the history in interesting ways without being over-ambitious in scope or theme.

The main problem with a sequel is that they'd have to make one of the ME3 endings the default one. They are too different to simply have an import option from ME3.

Then again, I'm generally not a big fan of prequels as it means I know what comes next. In fact, I really don't know how they're going to write themselves out of this without it being cringe worthy.

The strength of ME is the lore and the setting.

I would have just used that - and not tied it into the other games. That would also allow for much more creative freedom.

Not that I would expect Bioware to see it that way.

Well sure, but time period is essential. There's no way to place it after ME3 without choosing a default ending, the impact on the universe is just too big.

Also, if they're always going to place the games before or during ME1-3, they're really limiting their own creativity. It's a time period of about 20 years, and while they can still tell an infinite amount of smaller stories, they can't really tell too many galaxy wide ones during that time frame.

I'm talking about creativity in terms of game design and overall approach to the KIND of game it could be.

There's no reason they have to even mention the events of the other games. They could make a much more personal game - and my personal preference would be something like Bioshock or System Shock in the ME universe.

Such a game could be anything they wanted it to be - and all they'd have to say is "some war is going on" - or whatever. There's no reason to set it after ME3 - but if they insisted, they wouldn't have to go into any detail about how it ended.

Then again, it wouldn't impact the new game negatively if they chose an ending. Not to me, anyway.

I just don't want to see another step towards pure shooter. I want them to focus on RPG elements, atmosphere and exploration.

However, that's not at all what I'm expecting them to do.

Well sure, but time period is essential. There's no way to place it after ME3 without choosing a default ending, the impact on the universe is just too big.

I suppose that's true, though it is science fiction. Surely someone can come up with a solution that could somehow side step this. Space apocalypse/plague with lost knowledge of what happened anyone?

Edit: So I figure someone will point out that this will alter/diminish some of the lore. Really just an example that I think picking a specific ending from ME 3 could be creatively avoided, even if my chosen example isn't ideal.

I just don't want to see another step towards pure shooter. I want them to focus on RPG elements, atmosphere and exploration.

However, that's not at all what I'm expecting them to do.

This is my primary concern too. Too much emphasis on shooting and less on RPG as the series progressed imo.

Last edited:
I've tried, over time, to find more ways to dislike the evolution of the ME games, but I just can't. No series of games has come close to the enjoyment & emotional investment I had with Mass Effect arc. Yeah, the 3rd one was a shooter— but the game was still brilliant. While I want to believe BioWare has learned their lessons from DA2, I have to believe the same will be done with ME.

That said, I will be horribly upset if ME4 is a prequel and/or focuses on Cerberus, which I feel has run its course. There are just so many possibilities now with a universe in shambles, power vacuums, tech mixing, isolation due to destroyed/disabled relays, etc that it would be a shame to go a different route.

Last edited:
The strength of ME is the lore and the setting.

I would have just used that - and not tied it into the other games. That would also allow for much more creative freedom.

Not that I would expect Bioware to see it that way.

Same here. They could make it a sequel but not factor in a huge amount of content from the prevous games. Only referencing "the war" or "the Reaper invasion", not necessarily referencing any particular outcome. Make it more or less completely seperate.

I personally hope they don't make it a prequel. Or worse a reboot.

Last edited:
Same here. They could make it a sequel but not factor in a huge amount of content from the prevous games. Only referencing "the war" or "the Reaper invasion", not necessarily referencing any particular outcome. Make it more or less completely seperate.

I personally hope they don't make it a prequel. Or worse a reboot.

That's impossible given the ending of ME3. The impact is too big. You can't simple ignore whether the galaxy:
A) Has no more organics, because everyone turned into "cyborgs".
B) Has Reapers all over the place protecting and rebuilding.
C) Has no more AIs as they were all destroyed.

There's simply no way to ignore that. It's three completely different versions of the galaxy.

That's impossible given the ending of ME3. The impact is too big. You can't simple ignore whether the galaxy:
A) Has no more organics, because everyone turned into "cyborgs".
B) Has Reapers all over the place protecting and rebuilding.
C) Has no more AIs as they were all destroyed.

There's simply no way to ignore that. It's three completely different versions of the galaxy.

Sure they can, if they go far enough ahead-- but then of course that would mean that there would be no return cameos from the previous 3 games.

Back
Top Bottom