2012 NHL Playoffs

Let's not forget Chicago and Pittsburgh. But then, Wings fans are still trying to come up with a sensible excuse that Crosby did his concussion to himself on purpose.

The Sharks were not anyones favourites for the first time in a long time. If Nabakov took a pay cut in SJ he wouldn't have had to pay for the Islanders at league minimum!

Yeah, I think it's highly unlikely that the Cup will go to a team from the West this year. None of the teams remaining have ever won the Cup, and St Louis is the only legitimate contender imo.

I find it highly unlikely that it won't!

st louis and LA look really scary - I predict one of them to win

I won't pick for second round as PHO is already up two in their series. who woulda thunkit?

I would have thot Renni would have been the shoe in for the Vezina until watching Quick. LA and Quick remind me of the 96 Avs - the Avs too had to compensate for Roys oversized equipment and all the rebounds he gave up. Quick on the other hand seems to know exactly when to challenge the shooter the Team D seems to know when to collapse. Offense on LA seems to exactly know when to kick it - on the Penalty Kill of course!

I wouldn't peg LA as a contender just because they beat Vancouver and their perennially overrated goalie. I'll start giving them cred if they beat St Louis.

The NHL playoffs have always been the hardest to predict among the major pro sports imo. Anyone could win it at this point, but when I look at who's left in the Eastern Conference, I just think there's a better chance it's gonna go that way.

The West will suffer from the obligatory "gotta lose before you can win" rule. None of those teams have even made the conference finals in a decade.

Lucky, you're close, but not quite there. As relates to Cindy, we're just busy combing the medical books for "vaginal concussion".

This should be an easy cup to select; every team I pick loses, so by process of elimination, the winner should be easy to get!! :)

LA is the West's only chance from what I've seen. While I hate NY it seems like the probable scenario. NY in 6 for the cup. ...And the Blues suck.

Yeah.. the Blues are making me look pretty stupid right about now. I guess they simply overachieved during the regular season.

LA is the West's only chance from what I've seen. While I hate NY it seems like the probable scenario. NY in 6 for the cup. …And the Blues suck.

NY..overrated goalies were mentioned earlier right?

Yeah.. the Blues are making me look pretty stupid right about now. I guess they simply overachieved during the regular season.

*fights urge to tell them I told you so, as the series is not over yet*. LA, like Vancouver last year, has the benefit of everyone getting healthy at the right time - namely their offense which they were criticized for - plus riding the surge that qualified them into the playoffs in the first place.

The one that surprises me is Nashville - Renne & co. are not looking like they did last year.

I think Nashville was too happy with getting past the Wings. They started reading their press clippings and there's nobody in that lockerroom with the experience and clout to rein it back. They gave us a good spanking, but I think they peaked too soon.

I'm going to pretend I'm an expert analyst here :)

To be frank I think everyone remaining in the west pretty much sucks except LA, which is disproportionately strong for the West. They should clean the Blue's clock in 5 or 6 and trounce the Coyotes in 4 or 5, take a nice long break and play the East.

NY will be a nightmare for LA because they play a disciplined style like the Caps but are better at it. LA would would have a much easier time with Philly because Philly plays the wide open brand of hockey LA may be better at. It would make a more exciting, high score series and LA would stand a better chance.

NY will frustrate the living crap out of LA and grind them the way LA is grinding the Blues on the boards defensively *and* shut down the neutral zone on LA's wide open offensive style. NY can actually force LA to grind away and play like the Caps, which isn't good for LA at all.

To make things worse NY is big and punishing. They are pummeling the Caps physically. NY isn't about goal tending, its about defensive discipline. They will keep shots on goal low and scoring relatively low. There will be no LA scoring 4 goals in the 1st period. LA won't get the slot opportunities or the turnovers. In fact, the remaining teams in the West are so bad they are probably training LA to be sloppy.

Just look at the opening period of Philly vs. NJ. Initially NJ looked twice as strong as rusty Philly that both forgot how to play a good team and took a long break. Then they woke up. Will LA?

So is anyone else watching this Philly/NJ game?

Dear New Jersey,
Please stop shooting the puck directly at the goalie. He is not that good but you are making him look like a hall of famer. There is plenty of net around him. Please take a look.

Sincerely,
- Todd

Yeah, I am and I agree with you.

Good to see they finally got one. A bizarre combo of blocked shots and poor shots on goal given all their opportunities. So much work... so little results!

Wow NJ really turned it around. Serious effort!

I like the underdog story but I still think Philly is stronger and stands a better chance of stopping NY. Then again a NY/NJ series sure would be colorful! I hate to discount them, but I don't see the Caps surviving despite that hard earned win last night....

I think someone on the Devil's bench was reading our posts!! :)

Win or lose the Caps are putting up a heroic battle tonight!

<several hours later...> Ugh I hate NY!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Their goalie sucked!!

4-0 implies deeper problems than goal tending though. The West is a total yawn fest! The East is showing some amazing matchups and underdog stories. Go caps! The Devils / Flyers first period that just ended was beyond awesome :)

Then again as much as I love watching the Caps torture NY... a NJ/NY conference match would be completely epic...

Back
Top Bottom