Long ago and far away...

I don't know the exact words I posted in my first post at the dot, but I know the reason. For a year I lurked at the dot just for info, but never felt the need to post something. Then suddenly in the gothic forum a thread about Belgium being a French speaking country. There wasn't anything one could do to lure me into posting at the dot then this abomination of the truth.(more then 60% speaks Dutch)

So that's what it is you guys speak... it's Dutch :)

:faq:

I always thought girls are called maskes in Belgium and meisjes in the Netherlands.

The clearance sale (sellout) is called uitverkoop in the Netherlands and zolden in Vlaanderen.

Poetsvrouwen make everything gans proper - in Dutch: Schoonmaaksters make everything helemaal schoon.

(English: cleaning ladies clean everything shiny clean.)

Last edited:
It's all Greek to me!! :)

:faq:

I always thought girls are called maskes in Belgium and meisjes in the Netherlands.

The clearance sale (sellout) is called uitverkoop in the Netherlands and zolden in Vlaanderen.

Poetsvrouwen make everything gans proper - in Dutch: Schoonmaaksters make everything helemaal schoon.

(English: cleaning ladies clean everything shiny clean.)

Those are called dialect forms, specially that 'maskes' thing. When we write a letter we use the same language. When we speak it, we speak our local dialect which for this case was the local Antwerp one. (oh and it's 'solden' -> like the ski town in Austria). Come in July or January to our country and you see a lot of women shopping, I mean, even more then usual.
The biggest difference is the use of 'gij' and 'jij' (meaning you in English). The 'gij' form is only known in Flanders, not in the Netherlands.

So that's what it is you guys speak... it's Dutch :)
You know what would have been fun? No golden century for the Netherlands: this would imply that the dialect of Antwerp would now be the official form of Dutch instead the one of Amsterdam. :p
And let's not forget what our northern neighbours do with the 'sch'. They just tend to speak a few other letters with it, isn't it? like 'chrr' :lol:

Hello Gig :) It sure has been a long time since i've seen you online, i haven't had so much time to post lately, too much to do in real life. I do visit this site as often as i can, and noticed that you are back, well, heck, i'm glad about it :) In the previous post at this thread, i wasn't sure what to post, had a bit hurry, so all i did was a quick reply, and decided to write something more when having more time. See, we all have missed you very much. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom