Beamdog - Not Working on a Planescape Game

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamer reports that Beamdog are not working on a Planescape game.

"The Beamdog creative and art teams often explore concepts, pitches, and designs touching on different Dungeons & Dragons and unique settings. This was the case of the Planescape: Unravelled character concepts shown in the recently released Next Level documentary," Oster said in a statement.

"At any given time, there are a few of these exploration projects happening in different parts of the studio. They’re typically not shared outside of the company as they can be interpreted as a new project. We do these exploration projects as a way to find new ways to bring different ideas and creative styles to projects we’re working on. We’ve found it’s a great way to let the creative team stretch themselves and expand their skills. Occasionally, we return to these explorative projects and incorporate them into other things we’re working on."

[...]
More information.

That's good news! Right?

If I recall correctly, the entire Planescape setting was basically deleted by Wizards of the Coast. Nobody is doing a Planescape game, because nobody would get the rights.

That's why the recent Torment game used a different setting, yet slapped on "Torment" as a spiritual successor kind of thing.

Didn't like the original, don't like the setting and I don't think Beamdog is much of a developer at this point.

So…… I guess I don't really care ;)

Agreed. Would really like to see them make their own game before I can decide if I like them as devs.

I misread: "Beamdog - Now Working on a Planescape Game". I have my reservations about Beamdog, but I was certainly pleasantly intrigued for the few minutes I took between earmarking the headline and actually getting to the article.

Maybe it's for the best, but maybe there simply aren't enough Planescape games (and never will be).

Disappointed a bit, but it's all good. I want to see a new Planescape CRPG that is similar to classics like Baldur's Gate, PS:T or Icewind Dale, i.e. Infinity Engine style. Hopefully soon.

I can't get enough of the setting. I even bought novels etc. that take place there. :) Anyone know of any NWN mods that take place in the Planescape world and are long campaigns with good quality?

I can't get enough of the setting. I even bought novels etc. that take place there. :) Anyone know of any NWN mods that take place in the Planescape world and are long campaigns with good quality?

Strange thing that. There's been a bunch of really cool mods made for the PS:T setting, including the CODI Sigil Tileset and its update, but not much in the way of modules that use that content. Perhaps it was used in a PW? I see Sigil: City of Doors, for example.

For NWN2, there's Planescape - The Shaper of Dreams, but I don't know if it is any good. Planescape Purgatorio is an unfinished project by Rogue Dao Studios.

Strange thing that. There's been a bunch of really cool mods made for the PS:T setting, including the CODI Sigil Tileset and its update, but not much in the way of modules that use that content. Perhaps it was used in a PW? I see Sigil: City of Doors, for example.

For NWN2, there's Planescape - The Shaper of Dreams, but I don't know if it is any good. Planescape Purgatorio is an unfinished project by Rogue Dao Studios.

Great, thanks! Here's some more info on the Shaper of Dreams mod.

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2010/04/28/planescape-the-shaper-of-dreams-for-neverwinter-nights-2/

It is currently the second best rated mod on NWVault’s top Neverwinter Nights 2 modules list (NWVault is the biggest Neverwinter Nights 2 fansite) with a score of 9.91. Here is an excerpt of a review of the second chapter by the biggest German game magazine PC Games (scan of the full review):

“The mod by Ute Knörzer will take you into a strange but fascinating world. The appealing story motivates to continue playing with lots of puzzles and twists. The varied and pretty areas, the game changing decisions, the many interesting non-player characters and the exciting fights create a unique gaming experience.”

I think I'm going to take a shot and give it a go. If it inspires me I'll post some thoughts after I play it in the General RPG section.

Well call me surprised, just a few months ago Trent Oster said they couldn't release a NWN EE because of name licensing issues (Neverwinter to be precise).

Looks like that was resolved. (official announcement should be tomorrow as per a countdown on Beamdog page...the press just released early).

Well call me surprised, just a few months ago Trent Oster said they couldn't release a NWN EE because of name licensing issues (Neverwinter to be precise).

Looks like that was resolved. (official announcement should be tomorrow as per a countdown on Beamdog page…the press just released early).

I came here to post just that, you got here first XD

This is good news indeed!
I'm hoping for a NWN2 EE now

*scratches head* No clue what to think of this.

The online part tells me I should just move on with my day... ;)

It's one of Trent Oster favorite board game. He also bought a few internet domains related to it back in 2016. This shouldn't really surprise people who have been following him or Beamdog.

Expect a turn-base strategy game (with a board game aesthetic I expect) with solo vs AI and multiplayer.

It's owned by WoTC might I add.

I wonder if they will also do a A&A Enhanced Edition few years later or if that will be left for some other new Beamdog wannabe.

Last edited:
Man, I love playing Axis and Allies but cannot imagine actually playing it on a computer. Maybe if I'd never played the board version it would work for me, but yeah, I honestly don't think I'd be interested in this. If the single player version has no online requirements, I might be tempted.

Really this was one their new games they hyped. I'll pass.
I honestly don't think I'd be interested in this. If the single player version has no online requirements, I might be tempted.
Name of the game is Axis & Allies:Online by the sound of that it means no SP.

Update: Might be online but the link says this so maybe.
Battle in single or multiplayer modes

Yeah I guess we'll have to see if the computer is able to play as opposition, so you can actually have a single player experience. All in all though, I still believe I'd prefer the board version that I'm used to.

Back
Top Bottom