Fallout 76 - Review in Progress @ Gamespot

The game now has a Metacritic score for the PS4 platform, which is also where the largest number of critic reviews now are. Current score of 46. That's in the area of "you gotta actually be trying to score this badly, as an AAA game from a 'respected' dev".

Final quote from one of the critic reviews that went up today: "Fallout 76 is a stain on the developer's record, and one that won't be easily scrubbed clean."

The Atomic Store looks very bare. It looks like it was added as an afterthought. I guess in 2018 you gotta have one so it's ready but empty.

It's really not the right engine to build a multiplayer shooter with..

I think I saw ongoing review list in some thread but can't find it, so here's pcgn's list of those that are not ongoing any more:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-76/fallout-76-score-roundup
FALLOUT 76 REVIEW SCORES:
Attack of the Fanboy – 2.5/5 (PC)
Guardian – 2/5 (PS4)
GamesRadar+ – 2.5/5
Push Square – 3/10 (PS4)
The Sixth Axis – 3/10 (PS4)
Trusted Reviews – 3.5/5
VideoGamer – 4/10 (PS4)

Also:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/19/man-child-reportedly-destroys-gamestop-store-over-fallout-76/
A man was refused a refund at GameStop and proceeded to trash the place.

The aftermath of the tantrum was posted on ResetEra, with the person filming the video informing viewers that the man who smashed up the displays had tried to return a copy of Fallout 76.
They write: "man child".

While I wouldn't dismiss any game due to average review score, I'm not gonna play this one. I didn't like Fallout IV which I played for just few hours and that was actually first time I had feeling I didn't get my money worth from Bethesda game. Fallout 76 goes in direction which I do not prefer in my games (MP/COOP) so I won't be trying this even if free to play.

Last edited:
Come on, enjoy it if you want but do not present as what it never was meant to be.

No idea what you are talking about. I said it's a multiplayer game with solo option. I never said it's single player. WTH?

No idea what you are talking about. I said it's a multiplayer game with solo option. I never said it's single player. WTH?

What you call "solo experience" is just some locations and some quests to level up your toon. It would certainly not keep you in the game for as many hours as they would want.
They did not provide anything else so they want you to bring your own fun, aka friends, and buy stuff to show your friends how "cool" you are.

The way you play it is like playing Pac-Man and say I am with the Ghost team. As you want, it is your game, but that is not what it was built for and do not be surprised people do not share your fun.

More negative videos.

This game seems like a trainwreck disaster, but it will still probably sell millions of copies and people will eat it up, running around just killing things, looting and rinse and repeat. I'd be surprised if it isn't a financial success and then some for Bethseda.

Something funny to balance out the bad.

This game seems like a trainwreck disaster, but it will still probably sell millions of copies and people will eat it up, running around just killing things, looting and rinse and repeat. I'd be surprised if it isn't a financial success and then some for Bethseda.
It sure doesn't look as if it cost them much to make the game, so I guess that's a given.

I'm still amazed that anyone thought this had a chance of succeeding. Keep the online garbage stuff away from my lovely Fallout!

In my opinion, a Guild Wars 1 model could work rather well in an online Fallout. Consider large populous cities (BARTER TOWN!) - but very far apart and difficult to travel to. Each region, or set of zones, spanning the distance would be a set of private instances only for your party. Don't wish to travel the wastes with friends? Well, it would be possible, but very difficult. Recruitable henchmen would be available for your party however, complete with customizable skillsets and equipment.

I've always felt the GW1 online infrastructure was a nice compromise between single player and massively multiplayer. Certainly better than the theme-park, respawn-heavy setups we have these days.

One nice thing about F76 is that the respawns aren't much of a thing unless you log off and back in. If you clear an area, it stays clear unless somebody else enters the zone. You can wander a long time in the general outdoor areas between encounters. This still doesn't make this an rpg. A vault suit and a pipboy doesn't make if Fallout. This is a shooter/mild-survival/exploration game. You could easily play this without ever using a single perk card. You wouldn't live against other players, but you could do the content. PVP isn't much of a thing. I had a guy keep killing me and I never even turned around and looked at him :) The only penalty to dying is losing your junk items. Not a big deal since they're everywhere.

This is the perfect game for my son and his friends. Drop them in a sandbox with monsters to kill and loot and areas to explore and they’ll spend months there like they did in dark souls, monster hunter and other such games.

They lasted 2 days and then stopped playing. My son said they just got bored. There just wasn’t that much to do. Quests were boring, crafting was bad, card level up system lame, etc. I didn’t get in to too many specifics but these kids will sink hours upon hours in to just screwing around, killing things and exploring a world.

From what I understand they should have been the target audience and if the game fails to hold thier attention there must be something really wrong there.

I think the problem for the no attention span audience is the necessity of listening to minutes of talk on a holo to open up the various quests. It is a really dumb way to present quest material. In most cases you must listen to the end of the tape before the quest updates too. For someone restarting this is a double whammy.

Back
Top Bottom