CD Projekt RED - Resolves Issues with Witcher Author

I'm aware of how unpleasant he can be; he was well known in Poland even before the games and he was making offensive statements even then. I don't actually like him as an author. All of which is not relevant. I doubt CD Projekt were unaware of the relevant law when they made the deal. Instead of reading his interviews, read the few pieces by Polish lawyers on this; no one seems to be sure how it would play out in court. So they might just play it safe and settle, but it's got nothing to do with goodwill.

Not sure why you're so fixated on that, but I don't think he meant they were just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. :)

They obviously want to keep relations positive in case they want to return to the IP for a future game. While they don't necessarily need him on their side, it would probably be beneficial.

Not sure why you're so fixated on that, but I don't think he meant they were just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. :)

They obviously want to keep relations positive in case they want to return to the IP for a future game. While they don't necessarily need him on their side, it would probably be beneficial.
No, but quite a few people seem to assume they aren't legally obligated to pay anything, just because that's what they've written in their statement. I find it interesting how the Western media reports on this case, because they seem to ignore the legal aspect completely. A signed contract doesn't automatically protect them in this case. So it's not just as matter of public relations.

No, but quite a few people seem to assume they aren't legally obligated to pay anything, just because that's what they've written in their statement. I find it interesting how the Western media reports on this case, because they seem to ignore the legal aspect completely. A signed contract doesn't automatically protect them in this case. So it's not just as matter of public relations.

And what would cause them to be legally obligated? I agree the contract doesn't mean they're protected, but it also doesn't mean they're obligated.

It would be up to the judge to decide, but he has a basis for his lawsuit according to the Polish law.

Presumably they both got something out of the deal. Sometimes it's just better to settle than to deal with an unpredictable court system. Anyway, no harm done and they can both get on with what they do best.

Presumably they both got something out of the deal. Sometimes it's just better to settle than to deal with an unpredictable court system. Anyway, no harm done and they can both get on with what they do best.

I am not a fan of someone coming back and saying you owe me once they have made a deal.

That being said it would have been a better look on CD Projekt to have come up with a way to make this go away without going to court.

I am not a fan of someone coming back and saying you owe me once they have made a deal.

Totally agree with that.

I mean, he could always have gone for some percentage of sales model, but he did not believe in it. Of course, in hindsight, the 9000 bucks he got seem ridiculously low. But at that point, CD Projekt did not know it would be a success, either. So I get why they could not really offer a larger lump sum at that point.
He took it, he should have been able to live with that.

It's not even a very uncommon mistake to make. This happens in all kinds of industries. Like some engineer selling a patent for a lump sum, loosing out on a billion dollar market. Probably happens more often than we all know.

If you ask me, people should not try to be clever about stuff like that. Go with a percentage of sales or gains or whatever. It's fair to both parties, and there won't be any hurt feelings later on. With a lump sum, there's a good chance that one party will make a bad deal.

That being said it would have been a better look on CD Projekt to have come up with a way to make this go away without going to court.

I think it was not yet in a court, it was threats only.

So they might just play it safe and settle, but it's got nothing to do with goodwill.
Unless you can read minds, this assertion makes no sense. Since you weren't physically present at the meeting where a settlement was decided you can't say goodwill had no part in the decision.

Unless you can read minds, this assertion makes no sense. Since you weren't physically present at the meeting where a settlement was decided you can't say goodwill had no part in the decision.

He can't have an opinion based on his experience with human beings and corporations?

I think he can.

He can't have an opinion based on his experience with human beings and corporations?

I think he can.
I'll admit that working in corporations has made me jaded. ;)

Btw, not sure if they have actually settled yet. There was one recent piece in Puls Biznesu (behind a paywall, so I didn't read that) reporting they are close to reaching an agreement, but are still in talks. Everyone else is quoting that.

A new agreement was reached and sounds like a possible new Witcher game.

CD Projekt Renews Relationship with Andrzej Sapkowski - Announcement
“We’ve always admired Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski’s works — a great inspiration for the team here at CD PROJEKT RED,” says Adam Kiciński, President and Joint CEO, CD PROJEKT. “I believe today marks a new stage in our continued relationship,” Kiciński concludes.

The agreement satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides.

The agreement grants CD PROJEKT new rights, as well as confirms the company’s title to “The Witcher” intellectual property in video games, graphic novels, board games, and merchandise.
Then again maybe not. We'll see.

@Couch - I think Sapkowski is probably in a better mood having received (I assume) money from the Netflix series? I'd love a new witcher game - of teh same scope and quality as the prevous ones, although maybe smaller than TW3, which was a little too long...

@Couch - I think Sapkowski is probably in a better mood having received (I assume) money from the Netflix series? I'd love a new witcher game - of teh same scope and quality as the prevous ones, although maybe smaller than TW3, which was a little too long…
He should be sounds like the new show is a hit, and he was part of its creative staff. As for a new Witcher game it would have to feature a new cast as Geralt is retired.

Would be nice to have an option to create your own character, and be trained like Ciri.

Back
Top Bottom