|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Beamdog - Not Working on a Planescape Game

Default Beamdog - Not Working on a Planescape Game

November 17th, 2017, 13:56
PCGamer reports that Beamdog are not working on a Planescape game.

"The Beamdog creative and art teams often explore concepts, pitches, and designs touching on different Dungeons & Dragons and unique settings. This was the case of the Planescape: Unravelled character concepts shown in the recently released Next Level documentary," Oster said in a statement.

"At any given time, there are a few of these exploration projects happening in different parts of the studio. They’re typically not shared outside of the company as they can be interpreted as a new project. We do these exploration projects as a way to find new ways to bring different ideas and creative styles to projects we’re working on. We’ve found it’s a great way to let the creative team stretch themselves and expand their skills. Occasionally, we return to these explorative projects and incorporate them into other things we’re working on."

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 15:09
That's good news! Right?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 15:20
If I recall correctly, the entire Planescape setting was basically deleted by Wizards of the Coast. Nobody is doing a Planescape game, because nobody would get the rights.

That's why the recent Torment game used a different setting, yet slapped on "Torment" as a spiritual successor kind of thing.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 17th, 2017, 15:21
Didn't like the original, don't like the setting and I don't think Beamdog is much of a developer at this point.

So…… I guess I don't really care

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 15:54
I'd like Beamdog to develop an entire game before I pass judgement on them. Not expansions and tweaks to old games.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 15:58
Agreed. Would really like to see them make their own game before I can decide if I like them as devs.

borovnica

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 22:18
I misread: "Beamdog - Now Working on a Planescape Game". I have my reservations about Beamdog, but I was certainly pleasantly intrigued for the few minutes I took between earmarking the headline and actually getting to the article.

Maybe it's for the best, but maybe there simply aren't enough Planescape games (and never will be).

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 23:13
Disappointed a bit, but it's all good. I want to see a new Planescape CRPG that is similar to classics like Baldur's Gate, PS:T or Icewind Dale, i.e. Infinity Engine style. Hopefully soon.

I can't get enough of the setting. I even bought novels etc. that take place there. Anyone know of any NWN mods that take place in the Planescape world and are long campaigns with good quality?

Deleted User

November 18th, 2017, 02:05
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I can't get enough of the setting. I even bought novels etc. that take place there. Anyone know of any NWN mods that take place in the Planescape world and are long campaigns with good quality?
Strange thing that. There's been a bunch of really cool mods made for the PS:T setting, including the CODI Sigil Tileset and its update, but not much in the way of modules that use that content. Perhaps it was used in a PW? I see Sigil: City of Doors, for example.

For NWN2, there's Planescape - The Shaper of Dreams, but I don't know if it is any good. Planescape Purgatorio is an unfinished project by Rogue Dao Studios.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2017, 03:15
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Strange thing that. There's been a bunch of really cool mods made for the PS:T setting, including the CODI Sigil Tileset and its update, but not much in the way of modules that use that content. Perhaps it was used in a PW? I see Sigil: City of Doors, for example.

For NWN2, there's Planescape - The Shaper of Dreams, but I don't know if it is any good. Planescape Purgatorio is an unfinished project by Rogue Dao Studios.
Great, thanks! Here's some more info on the Shaper of Dreams mod.

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2010/04/…nter-nights-2/

It is currently the second best rated mod on NWVault’s top Neverwinter Nights 2 modules list (NWVault is the biggest Neverwinter Nights 2 fansite) with a score of 9.91. Here is an excerpt of a review of the second chapter by the biggest German game magazine PC Games (scan of the full review):

“The mod by Ute Knörzer will take you into a strange but fascinating world. The appealing story motivates to continue playing with lots of puzzles and twists. The varied and pretty areas, the game changing decisions, the many interesting non-player characters and the exciting fights create a unique gaming experience.”
I think I'm going to take a shot and give it a go. If it inspires me I'll post some thoughts after I play it in the General RPG section.

Deleted User

November 21st, 2017, 04:25
Well call me surprised, just a few months ago Trent Oster said they couldn't release a NWN EE because of name licensing issues (Neverwinter to be precise).

Looks like that was resolved. (official announcement should be tomorrow as per a countdown on Beamdog page…the press just released early).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 04:34
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Well call me surprised, just a few months ago Trent Oster said they couldn't release a NWN EE because of name licensing issues (Neverwinter to be precise).

Looks like that was resolved. (official announcement should be tomorrow as per a countdown on Beamdog page…the press just released early).
I came here to post just that, you got here first XD

This is good news indeed!
I'm hoping for a NWN2 EE now

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

February 12th, 2019, 00:01
Apparently Beamdog is working on Axis & Allies online.

loading…

It’s quite a useless video actually….
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

February 12th, 2019, 00:15
*scratches head* No clue what to think of this.

The online part tells me I should just move on with my day…

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

February 12th, 2019, 00:16
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Apparently Beamdog is working on Axis & Allies online.

loading…

It’s quite a useless video actually….
Not my sort of game but interesting news nonetheless.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

February 12th, 2019, 00:41
It's one of Trent Oster favorite board game. He also bought a few internet domains related to it back in 2016. This shouldn't really surprise people who have been following him or Beamdog.

Expect a turn-base strategy game (with a board game aesthetic I expect) with solo vs AI and multiplayer.

It's owned by WoTC might I add.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 12th, 2019, 01:45
I wonder if they will also do a A&A Enhanced Edition few years later or if that will be left for some other new Beamdog wannabe.
Last edited by Archangel; February 12th, 2019 at 10:41.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 12th, 2019, 03:15
Man, I love playing Axis and Allies but cannot imagine actually playing it on a computer. Maybe if I'd never played the board version it would work for me, but yeah, I honestly don't think I'd be interested in this. If the single player version has no online requirements, I might be tempted.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2019, 05:06
Really this was one their new games they hyped. I'll pass.
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I honestly don't think I'd be interested in this. If the single player version has no online requirements, I might be tempted.
Name of the game is Axis & Allies:Online by the sound of that it means no SP.

Update: Might be online but the link says this so maybe.
Battle in single or multiplayer modes
--
"Not every game is crap, but most of them are. I said it so it's true." - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Potato

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

February 12th, 2019, 15:31
Yeah I guess we'll have to see if the computer is able to play as opposition, so you can actually have a single player experience. All in all though, I still believe I'd prefer the board version that I'm used to.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Beamdog - Not Working on a Planescape Game