Nextgen CPUs - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Nextgen CPUs

Default Nextgen CPUs

January 6th, 2017, 17:23
CES news. AMD showed an engineering sample Ryzen 8 cores/16 threads at base 3.6GHz with 3.9GHz boost clock. 3.4GHz was said to be the lowest speed of that CPU line…

Going by PC magazine CanardPC (and other insiders rumors) who had access to engineering samples, OC over 4GHz on air is a possible. CanardPC even reached 5GHz on a single core on air (with a very good cooling fan though).

Micro Center newsletter also says that Ryzen does generally better than Kaby Lake in clock for clock tests.

In the meanwhile, Intel Kaby Lake just released and it's another refresh. By the way, Kaby is apparently Windows 10 only because it can't boot Windows 7 (read that on the web so take with a grain of salt but you might want to validate if you want to purchase and don't have Win 10).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 6th, 2017, 23:21
I don't know what the fuss is all about. The PC is dead.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#22

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 6th, 2017, 23:29
My new undead PC will be powered by the AMD rebellion. They are rapidly becoming the best choice for Linux, too - they are doing a ton of work in that space.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#23

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,043
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

January 6th, 2017, 23:40
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
My new undead PC will be powered by the AMD rebellion. They are rapidly becoming the best choice for Linux, too - they are doing a ton of work in that space.
I went all AMD too.

I think it was because part of me wants to believe that they're still ATI and Canadian.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#24

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

January 7th, 2017, 00:02
Yeah, after a VERY long time I've abandoned Nvidia for AMD and I'll, most likely, abandon Intel as well.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,721
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

January 7th, 2017, 00:23
Kaby won't care about win older than 10 - Ryzen is not supposed to discriminate.
While half of Steam audience is on win10, the rest is still attached to older OS. Means, AMD has a chance to win over at least half of gamers.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#26

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,314
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Default 

January 21st, 2017, 21:41
Speaking of PC Gaming being dead…
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#27

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

January 23rd, 2017, 20:34
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I went all AMD too.

I think it was because part of me wants to believe that they're still ATI and Canadian.
Im still using the Intel CPU that I bought 2008. Gave it a bit overclock but it still runs latest games with max settings given a decent GPU as a pair. I dont see the value in upgrading to new Intel CPU yet, they are so expensive.

Last AMD CPU I had was AMD64 something I think. After that two Intels Core 2 Duo and i7.

Last ATI GPUs Radeon 9800 pro and fanless ATI 800XL. The first ATI card was very noise and the second overheated because then fanless design did not work (I had to modify a case fan to ventilate it). After ATI cards it has been all Nvidia 8800GTS, GTX280, GTX580, GTX680 and GTX1070.

If anything its the console gaming that is in decline, while PC and mobile gaming is growing.

Edit: Almost forgot that AMD and ATI were different companies back then.
--
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; January 23rd, 2017 at 20:50.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
MyBabyAndMe

#28

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

January 25th, 2017, 19:09
Very little reason to upgrade from sandy bridge for gaming. However, if AMD has a good solution and you need a new computer; then that might be a viable alternative. The area of AMD that interest me is if they improve their cpu (as pre-marketing suggest); they do tend to have better GPU than intel for non-gaming machines that do not require a dedicated GPU.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

February 2nd, 2017, 22:45
About a month until Ryzen is launched by AMD (early March release confirmed). AMD also announced that they will have Window 7 drivers for their new CPUs.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#30

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 2nd, 2017, 22:53
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
AMD also announced that they will have Window 7 drivers for their new CPUs.
Touche. Even if Ryzen is worse than Kaby, it'll sell like crazy - the point of PC is to allow *everything*, not hold customers hostage over allowed OS.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#31

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,314
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Default 

February 3rd, 2017, 15:12
The two marktes that are doing well are the server market and gaming market (for pc).
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

February 3rd, 2017, 17:20
You're wrong. PC gaming is dead for decades so it's only servers market.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#33

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,314
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Default 

February 3rd, 2017, 18:08
I'm always wrong but even if i am wrong the pc market is growing like crazy cause we all know consoles suck.

What would be nice is if they made PC games and then ported them to consoles so we could stop having shitty console interfaces


Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You're wrong. PC gaming is dead for decades so it's only servers market.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Default 

February 3rd, 2017, 20:17
The problem is: you can't load the whole airplane cargo on a donkey.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#35

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,314
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Default 

February 3rd, 2017, 21:45
Originally Posted by you View Post
What would be nice is if they made PC games and then ported them to consoles so we could stop having shitty console interfaces
That would mean that PC gaming is not dead. When it is.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,553
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

February 8th, 2017, 15:19
Price rumor (Euro with taxes by a Spanish website) for Ryzen R7 line up:
1800X: 8/16 @ 4Ghz (95W) = $599
1700X: 8/16 @ 3.8Ghz (95W) = $469
1700: 8/16 @ 3.7Ghz (65W) = $389

The clock might be the boost clock or not (there are contradicting info on this). The 1700 is the "gamer CPU", the other two are for professionals.

Full list of CPUs without prices (base clock is probably not 100% accurate, they won't all have the same clock, lol).

According to Canard PC, Intel is panicking internally.

Now waiting for reviews (which should be out in the next two weeks if it really launch on March 2 as rumored).

Why AMD, why pick Nvidia GPU naming convention!
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#37

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

February 8th, 2017, 15:39
I have a hard time getting excited about any CPU release since just about any CPU from the last 10 years paired with a good graphics card will be sufficient.

My brother has an i920 with a 1070 and can run pretty much everything at 1080/60 all day long.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#38

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,745
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 8th, 2017, 17:18
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I have a hard time getting excited about any CPU release since just about any CPU from the last 10 years paired with a good graphics card will be sufficient.
This is absolutely true. There is no valid reason to upgrade CPU today (assuming you bought an appropriate one and not some cheap i3 a decade ago), still it's good to know what's happening on CPU scene if your PC farted and you need to combine a new one.

Why is that so? In a perfect world I'd say ask developers but the sad truth is ask imbecillic CEOs who want the software to remain in stone age or portable to phones.
So much CPU power out there is underused not because developers being incapable. The horror stories are recent nonAI/noncomplex games requirements that ask for i7 while there is absolutely no logic such games need that much power.

Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
According to Canard PC, Intel is panicking internally.
You bet.
They've immediately announced two new CPUs:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int…rocessors.html

i5 at base 4Ghz with HT? If I'd go for a new machine, hell yes! But let's see the price compared to AMD's 3.7Ghz one first. Because… If the price for this new i5 is set too low it would mean a middlefinger to recent i7 buyers on the other hand if the price is much higher than competition it can burn.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 8th, 2017 at 17:33.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#39

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,314
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Default 

February 8th, 2017, 17:58
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You bet.
They've immediately announced two new CPUs:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int…rocessors.html

i5 at base 4Ghz with HT? If I'd go for a new machine, hell yes! But let's see the price compared to AMD's 3.7Ghz one first. Because… If the price for this new i5 is set too low it would mean a middlefinger to recent i7 buyers on the other hand if the price is much higher than competition it can burn.
CanardPC had access to the two new CPUs (in french). The biggest change is the socket format change.

edit: lol, some people are having fun.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
Last edited by azarhal; February 8th, 2017 at 18:23.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#40

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Nextgen CPUs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:23.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch