Kenshi Impressions/Help Thread - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Kenshi Impressions/Help Thread

Default Kenshi Impressions/Help Thread

December 31st, 2018, 20:13
Alright, so on a whim I picked this up recently and decided to give it a go. Boy am I glad I did, this is now my favorite game since Kingmaker and I feel it may go down as one of my favorites ever. So here's why I like it so much.

You're in an enormous, and I mean enormous, hand-crafted open-world. There are many biomes and the map is just gigantic, reminiscent of something like Asheron's Call. You're thrown into this world and expected to survive any way you can. It's harsh, you have to find a way to make money, by trading, robbing, farming, mining; whatever you can manage to start. You build up your cats (money) and then can hire on other people to help you along the way. You start getting attached to them the more they travel with you and survive tough encounters, and they even have some banter here and there.

The game is open-ended and lets you do whatever you want. The game doesn't revolve around you, you'll see skirmishes between factions in the wilds, you'll see factions killing monsters (which you can then loot, this was a great way to make money for me early on), and the game world evolves and goes on without your input. Every little upgrade you can manage helps a lot and there's a ton to sink your teeth into. I built a little outpost and started training on training dummies to get my melee attacks a bit better, as well as training on a locked box for lockpicking. I had 2 workers mining copper and hauling it to my storage box so I can take it all and make a nice profit in the town I'm near.

Then Dust Bandits show up. They demand 2000 cats every other day, a ridiculous sum at this point, so I am probably going to have to abandon my outpost and move. Which is cool, because the game is playing in a way that you write your own story, so my little band of adventurers are going to have to find a new home, probably buy a house in town where it's safe and go from there. Exploration is great, there's stuff all over the place to find, monsters to slay (or run desperately from), factions to deal with, jobs to do, bounties to hunt and more. Tons of crafting and some base building which feels organic since you're playing an RPG and it's adding to your overall experience. It's just been a great time with this game for me and it's surprised me a lot.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. I'm only several hours in and barely cracking the surface, but I have a few neat things figured out I can probably help with. I highly recommend this game for something totally unique and different, just give it some time to really grab you.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 23:27
Looks like there's a demo: http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/view…e0e48398d2bd08
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 1st, 2019, 01:47
Well worth checking out, just give it some hours because it starts slow. You have to earn your way at the start but when you start doing that it becomes very rewarding.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 1st, 2019, 12:11
it's been on my wishlist for ages but I've never jumped in.

kborom

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 21:19
It's release timing is a bit unfortunate. It will have to be on this year's poll for the Watch's GotY but nobody has had a chance to see it yet.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 1st, 2019, 21:19
Originally Posted by kborom View Post
it's been on my wishlist for ages but I've never jumped in.
Should give it a shot, I'm really glad I did. So many memorable moments so far, thankfully captured in my Let's Plays (if anyone watches them though, is another story). The game really managed to suck you in and is very, very addictive. I just had an encounter last night that really messed my team up, hungry bandits attacked and stole our food, I had to carry the Dust Boss Bandit to a prison across the desert and we were all weakened and beat up pretty good. It was really intense stuff. And the cool thing is that when you're KO'd in combat, as long as you're patched up you gain the Toughness stat, which makes you more rugged for next time. Hell of a game, really.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

+1:

January 1st, 2019, 22:54
I love it too, what a great great experience it is.

ChatMiauleur

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 23:30
Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur View Post
I love it too, what a great great experience it is.
Awesome to hear, bro. The game is such an underrated gem right now that I feel it's going to be a classic, a cult type of classic in a few years. Such a cool game.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 2nd, 2019, 00:43
Other cool features include an *enormous* handcrafted world map, where you can click on it directly and your party will walk there the best route available. And even though it's humongous you can turn the speed up to triple speed and the walking back and forth is not too bad. You won't want triple speed if you don't know the area, but for certain things it's a great speed to get you back to town quickly.

I bought a house in town, crafted a copper storage bin and have 2 permanent workers mining copper outside of town. When the bin gets full, Bark, one of my laborers empties it by selling it to local merchants. You can make a ton of catans that way. I'm still working on getting a strong enough team (now featuring my trained pack bull, Charlie) to where if the dust bandits come demanding money I can tell them to stuff it and defend my outpost. For now I have to abandon it though and explore more, get better gear and more trained companions.

I've also joined the Shinobi Thieves, aka the Thieves Guild and they have special training equipment to increase your stealing abilities. I've already pilfered a bunch of good stuff at nighttime from certain houses, but got caught and had to serve a few days in prison, where I subsequently escaped from one night while the guards were sleeping. I had a bounty of 1000c but it was only temporary and now I'm off scot-free. Can't wait to pick some locks now with my special ninja backpack that allows me to haul a ton of stuff each time I steal from a place. Look out world, Samsonar the Thief is coming to a town near you.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 4th, 2019, 19:59
No one here playing this gem?

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 4th, 2019, 20:51
Can you play solo or is a squad mandatory?
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

January 4th, 2019, 22:12
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Can you play solo or is a squad mandatory?
Squad is pretty mandatory, unless you somehow build your solo dude into a real killing machine. The game sort of favors 1 amazing fighter over 10 average ones, such as samurais were back in the old days, one great samurai may be worth 100 average men on the battlefield. So technically you could do that but it would be difficult. Having a squad just means more firepower, more carrying space, more mouths to feed which is not a big problem and just more help. You don't have to micromanage them much and just send the whole squad together as one unit. But if you played solo I'd love to see how you build your character into a super samurai that can wipe out squads alone. It is definitely possible within the gameplay realm of Kenshi, I feel.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 4th, 2019, 22:18
I tried the demo and found it pretty rough. The setting is neat, but I found myself constantly fighting with the camera the entire time.

They really need to implement some kind of system for the camera where it auto-adjusts for you when you enter buildings, etc, so your view isn't constantly being obscured.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

January 5th, 2019, 01:17
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I tried the demo and found it pretty rough. The setting is neat, but I found myself constantly fighting with the camera the entire time.

They really need to implement some kind of system for the camera where it auto-adjusts for you when you enter buildings, etc, so your view isn't constantly being obscured.
True, but if you double click your character's portrait you get an "auto-follow" camera. That helps when traveling for me.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 8th, 2019, 16:36
Still crickets here? I'm shocked. I wrote a review/love letter for it on the Codex, I'll quote it here.

Spoiler
Last edited by TheRealFluent; January 8th, 2019 at 17:01.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 8th, 2019, 16:56
Been on holiday without access to PC so couldn't play anything more than HoMM3.
This is on my wishlist, but so many games to play, so might be a while.

It's good you're having fun though

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 8th, 2019, 17:02
Thanks Pladio! I got lucky and bought this on a whim, so glad I did.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

January 30th, 2019, 03:17
So no one's playing this gem? I'm 170 hours in and have barely scratched the surface, for real. It's a massive, difficult game. I'm enjoying every minute of it though. Just got through the Fog Islands where Fogmen swarm you like rodents and try to get your team spread out so they can pick them off one by one. That was an adventure for the ages, lemme tell ya. Half my team had to be carried out as I booked out of there as fast as I could!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

+1:

January 30th, 2019, 04:40
It's on my wish list! It hasn't even been out for two months yet, though. Gotta finish up Valkyria 4, Tower of Time, and maybe Kingdom Come first. Then Yakuza 0. That should put me near the end of Tomb Raider's DLC content so I can start playing through that. Then I can play this. Or maybe PoE2. Or Kingmaker. Or Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Or Legrand Legacy. Or replay some BattleTech…. OH! I still haven't played Metro 2033!

Jeez, I really need to retire.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 30th, 2019, 11:02
Yikes, that's a lot of games, @Zloth ! I'd play Kenshi before anything else on that list, though.

I'm just surprised it's still flying low a bit on the radar. It's had solid sales and very positive reviews on Steam but it seems here and even on the Codex no one is talking about it much. It's a really unique and creative gem and I hope more people get in there and check it out!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Kenshi Impressions/Help Thread