New Star Wars movie gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Christ this is Star Wars isn't it?

It is no way a 10 out of 10 or a 0-10, it falls some place between.

You would think we were talking about some movie with real meaning behind it.

I saw the non-3D version yesterday.

It seems like a they remade a selection of iconic moments from the original trilogy, with cameos from the original cast and a minor role from Han Solo, wrapped up in another mindless, very high budget action flick.

I really wanted to like it, I tried to suspend my disbelief, but as someone who loves sci-fi, from the first moments of the new rolling BB droid with his expressive beeps just like an R2, I couldn't help thinking "why can't it talk?" and from there I just kept questioning the plausibility of everything that happened. I found that this "world" was not immersive at all, from the aerodynamics of a Tie fighter, its accuracy, the manual targeting, the effectiveness of Battlecruisers defenses that need charging up then weave pretty, inefficient paths, which would have been better in 3D, that can't even outrun a fighter. It was like watching Prometheus for kids. In fact, I'm really looking forward to the next three Prometheus movies now because at least they have a good story. We already did the Deathstar two times and it really does seem the bigger they are the harder they fall.

That's really all I wanted to say. I could make this more informative by talking about how poorly developed the characters were, the horrible arch villain son who was every bit as cringe worthy as angry teenage Anikin, etc, etc

2 Stars

I figured out large percentages of the plot without seeing any spoilers, but I still really liked it. I think there is some room for some interesting character growth and I liked that on one hand it was a rehash in many ways of IV, but it also had enough originality to keep it interesting.

I also really liked the humor in it. I was not expecting that at all.

If nothing else, it was great to see a Star Wars film with some good writing and good acting.

@SirJames, yes, if you find that "plausibility" gets you down then Star Wars probably isn't the movie series for you. I also wouldn't call Han Solo a minor role, but if you didn't get the bad guy's shtick then that's a major part of the movie, and quite strongly developed IMO for a Star Wars movie. Suggesting Prometheus was better seems a bit try-hard to me. Yes, SW is mostly fairly mindless action, always has been, even the people who stick-up for the unstickupable prequels normally just mention the "cool action scenes" as their justification.

@Celtic, yes, I don't think it's a 1/10 nor a 10/10 and I agree that this is a factual, not subjective, statement.

@blatantninja, that's exactly how I felt about it :) As I said in reply to luji many pages ago, after 30 years and 3 rather dodgy prequels then something safe yet new was just what the doctor ordered really. This movie was more about making sure the world felt right, which was the most important thing IMO. However, I think they'll need to be less mimicy for the next one and more overall original if they want the new series to carry as much love as the first series.

Got to agree on the comment about Adam Driver being as cringeworthy as hayden christensen. I happen to think Adam Driver is a pretty reasonable actor but he was poorly used. Why on earth does he have a mask on if he is so quick to take it off? It seems to be purely cosmetic unlike Vader's. They made him look like an angst filled teenager. How old was he supposed to be in the movie?

I also felt Han got too much screen time and it hurt the development of the new characters. Hopefully that will happen in the next movie.

A solid movie no doubt but it could of been so much more with just a few tweaks. Looking forward to see how it fits into things once the entire new trilogy is out. 7/10.

Lol this thread still going..... Lets face it, no one will remember this smoking wreck in 5 years….. the prequels are way better than this shit stain

Got to agree on the comment about Adam Driver being as cringeworthy as hayden christensen. I happen to think Adam Driver is a pretty reasonable actor but he was poorly used. Why on earth does he have a mask on if he is so quick to take it off? It seems to be purely cosmetic unlike Vader's. They made him look like an angst filled teenager. How old was he supposed to be in the movie?

I also felt Han got too much screen time and it hurt the development of the new characters. Hopefully that will happen in the next movie.

A solid movie no doubt but it could of been so much more with just a few tweaks. Looking forward to see how it fits into things once the entire new trilogy is out. 7/10.

All that screen time for Han, yet not one second of it alongside Luke. For me a massive sub-plot of the originals was the friendship between that pair. One a naive kid with "superpowers" who wanted to change the galaxy, the other a streetwise scoundrel who is as normal as they come and just wanted to survive. How both of these struck up an inseparable bond was superb, and how all matters, from basic survival and galactic importance, took a backseat to helping each other was supremely inspiring. Got a choice to leg it with a load of money and pay off a price on my head, or fly up against a moon sized space station and Darth Vader yo save a kid? Save the kid - he's my mate. Deathly cold temperatures and a sea of monster filled snow to face? I'm out in it no probs - he's my mate. Warnings from 2 Jedi master not to face THE most powerful evil villain in the universe because he's set a trap by torturing my mate? I'm straight there - he's my mate. Captured by the biggest gangster in the universe and hidden away in a criminal cartel as dangerous as they come? I'm there - he's my mate. Etc.

Such inspiring tales of loyalty, love and friendship when both persons goals are so different.

New movie "yeah, my mate buggered off for some peace and quiet. Not seen for ages". As flat as an ironed cowpat, and to not see them together one last time was a bad move IMO

Saw it a few days ago…I wasn't bowled over. As others have stated, it seems to have rehashed bits of older SW movies and was fairly predictable. It was OK I guess, and if you'd never seen Star Wars, then I think it could be fun. But I really wish they showed some creativity with regards to the empire/first order's new 'great threat' (no spoliers….) That was - 'lame'. Including the laughable (And oh so exploitable) design flaws etc. The movie felt a lot like a Star Wars (Epi 4) reboot. Seems that's what JJ Abrams does. Leia was wooden and Han looked like he should have been hobbling around on a zimmer frame. On the plus side, visual effects were great and the Sith Lord Jar Jar Binks didn't return. I also think the female lead was great.

I have seen it twice now and I will rate it around 6.5/10. I won't complain about the plot holes and stuff since "its the force dummy" will suffice as an explanation for me. However my biggest complaint was that it didn't have the same emotional pull as the original star wars. I felt that the characters moments were too short and rushed in favour of action sequences. I like action too so I think the movie needed to be 3 hours for for more character development.

Yeah, she is a troll looking for any excuse to forward her bizarre vendetta. Oh well … As I said before, it says more about her than anything else.
….

GG a Troll? Vendetta? That's news to me. She doesn't like a few things she should :))), of course, and is like most of the watchers a bit more explicit than I dare to be, but trolling? To me she certainly isn't out to provoke for provocations's sake and she usually has arguments for her viewpoints.

I read most of the posts of GG with interest, as well as posts from the 1265th Txa(are there really been that many?) and the lackblogger (although he makes a bit too many long posts for me to follow them all, which is no bad thing, but a practical problem for yours truly).

I haven't seen the movie, I want to, but then I have to leave my house, or come home later from work than I use to…..Difficult…..really difficult……

pibbur who generally thinks that words like "troll" and "fanboy" are used too loosely these days, and specifically thinks that in this thread there's too many assumptions about why people think what they think and write what they write.

Last edited:
I read most of the posts of GG with interest

Me too ... But I Think that Star Wars can incite positive and negative passions in people. And honestly, I immediately dismiss people who go out to score something incredibly low. It just wasn't worth discussing more, because it would require way too much effort. :)

Me too … But I Think that Star Wars can incite positive and negative passions in people. And honestly, I immediately dismiss people who go out to score something incredibly low. It just wasn't worth discussing more, because it would require way too much effort. :)

Well, yes Star Wars definitely brings a lot of passion, and I even revised my original score, to 4/10 ( yes, you'll still think that is insanely low I know ), but I admitted the 3/10 was too low and set in a stage of rage. Either how I have given plenty of reasons as to why I rated it so low and I could give plenty more as well. But we can see there are many people here who are disappointed for different reasons.

For someone like me who even liked the prequels and this being a Star Wars movie, I am extremely disappointed though. Just thinking about the movie makes me angry at how bad it was, and because of that it is probably good that we did not have a very lengthy argument about it :D Let's just say we are extremely divided about this movie as well as some other things, while we do agree about most things though, especially things like science which are not subjective :D

I enjoyed it. Watched it twice and may go see it a 3rd time if my sis-in-law wants company.

Let's just say we are extremely divided about this movie as well as some other things, while we do agree about most things though, especially things like science which are not subjective :D

Absolutely :)

And I think this turned into a much more productive discussion than when it started (which made me sad seeing Pibbur pull a quote from at least a half dozen pages ago). And I appreciate you taking the time to detail all of the issues you had with the movie.

Whether or not we agree is immaterial. :)

I enjoyed it. Watched it twice and may go see it a 3rd time if my sis-in-law wants company.

We are going again tonight - first time as full family ... Premiere was before older son came home from college, then my wife had to work last weekend. So tonight we are finally all four available! WooHoo! :)

Absolutely :)

… made me sad seeing Pibbur pull a quote from at least a half dozen pages ago…

Oh. It was the thing about GG being trollish I reacted to. But I can see I should have made my comment there and then, in stead of bringing it up again after so many pages.

So, sorry about that.

pibbur who will try to behave.

Oh. Sorry about that. It was the thing about GG being trollish I reacted to. But I can see I should made my comment back then, in stead of bringing it up again after so many pages.

pibbur who will try to behave.

Haha - now don't get all extreme and start BEHAVING :D

I think in some of those early pages we ALL took some assumptions based on other stuff we were seeing around us, on Facebook and other social media, and projected onto others here ... So those who liked the film became 'fanboy sheep' and those who didn't became 'trolling oh-so-cool haters'. The reality is ... It is still just US, the Watch community, who as GG says agree on most stuff but disagree on others. Because we're people.

especially things like science which are not subjective :D

Perhaps that's because you've heard people like Dartagnon bleat on about opinions and subjectivity so much with regards to games that you now honestly believe anything that skirts the edge of art is somehow completely subjective, just because it contains some art?

Film is a very specific medium with its own rules and science for which a vast amount of it is pure objectivity. The subjective only comes into play if you narrow your field of vision to facebook-like binary like/dislikes. If film didn't have objectivity then you simply wouldn't have Citizen Kane regarded as a masterpiece and Steven Segal regarded as a mockery.

The subjective aspect of Citizen Kane versus Steven Segal is simply whether you were entertained or not, not whether one is factually better than the other, one is quite clearly factually better. However, even those that found Citizen Kane boring and find Steven Segal entertaining are, if they are rational beings, able to acknowledge that Citizen Kane is a better movie, but they prefer to watch "dumb" entertainment, for whatever reason.

What is remarkable about this new Star Wars movie is that it is factually a huge improvement over the prequels with regards to presenting a sequel in keeping with the original franchise. It is factually a "dumb" movie designed for pure entertainment, just as the originals were, and it was the failure to entertain while being dumb that makes the prequels, again, factually worse.

Now, how some people are even going to the cinema and expecting "something more" is really quite astounding. To go to a movie like this and expect any kind of 'depth' is one form of irrational, but to come away from it and complain about a lack of depth is beyond idiotic, and this has nothing to do with the subjectivity of the individual, this is factual false expectation from an irrational mindset.

The movie was a top-grade dumb movie, as I originally stated on the first page. It's the best a dumb movie will ever be bar abnormalities such as Robocop, Alien or Die Hard. It's on par with The Avengers, Jurrasic Park, James Bond and all the other top-grade dumb movies with the usual load of natural imperfections. Factually. The only subjective is whether it entertained you or not, and if it didn't you should still be able to acknowledge what it does do extremely well while expressing why you were not entertained.

Because without objectivity no-one would even watch Citizen Kane. Without objectivity there's no point in anyone with an interest in the art of movie making taking the blindest bit of notice of your inept understanding of the medium, you're like Homer Simpson being allowed to design his perfect car.

TL : DR for Pibbur: I met a bloke today who had no idea War and Peace was a book :)

What's "TL : DR"?

pibbur who is ignorant about some things, but who knows "War and Peace" by Tolstoj is a novel.

PS. Found the meaning of TL : DR on my own. As well as the necessity for space around the colon (not talking about human anatomy here). DS

Back
Top Bottom